McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a question about washing my car. I hope anyone can help me out. Thanks.

When I wash my car, I always worry about the water flow into the engine bay. Is that ok with

some water in the there ? .Can I rinse the engine bay directly ? Thanks

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Because the engine bay is fully sealed from underneath there is no need to wash inside there,any water ingress you get from normal washing will flow out from the drainage holes,so most owners just lift the glass lid afterwards and polish off the water marks with a soft cloth,mine is nearly 2 1/2 years old now and gets washed every week,the engine bay on a quick inspection looks as good as new,so no need to worry ..........

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Agree - with Andy

Whatever water is in there after the wash simply use a cloth to dry and clean.

I wax all the cf and use a plastic cleaner spray then wipe off the carpet and clean the glass.

Looks brand new.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Actually the most critical openings are the engine air intakes - be carful not to soak those with too much water or the air filters might get wet. Make sure the engine is coold off, like any other car. Everything else is not that critical.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'll be jet washing it later, always surprises me how little water gets into the engine bay (and I'm not overly sympathetic with the jet washing). That which does is easily mopped up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because the engine bay is fully sealed from underneath there is no need to wash inside there,any water ingress you get from normal washing will flow out from the drainage holes,so most owners just lift the glass lid afterwards and polish off the water marks with a soft cloth,mine is nearly 2 1/2 years old now and gets washed every week,the engine bay on a quick inspection looks as good as new,so no need to worry ..........
Yeah, the car was washed on yesterday. It is still drive-able at least.haha. I didn"t think that I can get such a quick reply from someone . It is kind of surprise that so many enthusiastic people are here to help me out. I appreciate.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I will say that I don't like the design of the engine bay vents because they mess up the engine compartment whenever you wash the car (as you can see in Jerry's pics). I find it a pain to have to detail the engine every time I wash a car. More work for nothing :(, when you are neat and persnickety. IMO.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I will say that I don't like the design of the engine bay vents because they mess up the engine compartment whenever you wash the car (as you can see in Jerry's pics). I find it a pain to have to detail the engine every time I wash a car. More work for nothing :(, when you are neat and persnickety. IMO.
Not to state the OBVIOUS... tape up the vents. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
C,mon Limey,its an easy car to wash,nothing much to do,very clean surfaces.I would hazard as guess its one of the quickest cars to clean in your wonderfull collection,get out of that one !!;):)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Yeah, the car was washed on yesterday. It is still drive-able at least.haha. I didn"t think that I can get such a quick reply from someone . It is kind of surprise that so many enthusiastic people are here to help me out. I appreciate.
Its the type of person that buys this car dlw,you will always have a queue of owners wanting to help,a Gentlemans club if you like :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Agreed, but it is fun to see the wavy "heat lines" coming out of the vents in the rear view mirror when at stoplights. Driving this beast/partner in crime is as close as I'll ever get to achieving my boyhood dream of being a fighter pilot. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
DLW,
Make sure you dry the brakes thoroughly after washing as the callipers can rust on. Run the car for a little bit to do this. The locking callipers only seems to happen if you are washing and then immediately parking the car in a garage and leaving it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts