McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thanks to 6th, he pointed out a video with Frank doing a walk through of the 12C, it looks like the 12C was originally supposed to have 3 cameras. A front, rear, and in cabin wide angle camera. All were supposed to be capable of recording track days, and the rear could do double duty for rear view/parking.

Here are a few stills from the video, and you can see the relevant part at the 7:22 marker here:

I think the spot for the rear camera is still there. So the question is, where'd all the cameras go?! Maybe we should beg/plead/petition to get them back? :)

Attachments

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I think this falls under "Specifications subject to change without notice" and could be attributed to the failure of the original company they had partnered with for the IRIS system. Options like this fell by the wayside when they went into recovery mode on that aspect of the car.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right Erik.

I suspect they could offer some of those features back now that the new IRIS is here. At least the rearview camera spot seems to be there. I've never looked closely at the front grill to see if the front camera spot is there, but that may be somewhat more unlikely if the camera spot isn't there. The roofline interior camera, may be even more difficult to put in.

But my hope is now that they're really moving forward with a very future looking version of IRIS, that they can start building back some of those features. I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be nice.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark. Yay! I didn't know there were two up front. That's awesome. Now we just need some cameras. :)

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Thanks Mark. Yay! I didn't know there were two up front.
One is prob for the tow hook - check your owner's manual.

>8^)
ER

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I think this falls under "Specifications subject to change without notice" and could be attributed to the failure of the original company they had partnered with for the IRIS system. Options like this fell by the wayside when they went into recovery mode on that aspect of the car.

>8^)
ER
+ 1, I agree totally.

The rear camera is critical, although, I could easily live without the others. In dusty/sandy regions/environments, the front camera would get blasted into a frosted haze and regarding the interior, you could use the far more superior Polaroid instead :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
One problem with any rear view camera is that the angle of the screen means it will be useless in bright sunlight. In the Spider with the roof down, forget it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mhh, I have the coupe, so not sure, but the new IRIS has a much brighter/better screen. You'd likely need the new IRIS for the camera as it has a video input plug (not sure if the old IRIS had it). So it might be serviceable. Curious what the new IRIS spider owners have found with regard to brightness of the new screen.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
This still ranks as my all-time favorite camera placement on the 12C, complete with the brief cameo of the armadillo panel.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
307 Posts
mhh, I have the coupe, so not sure, but the new IRIS has a much brighter/better screen. You'd likely need the new IRIS for the camera as it has a video input plug (not sure if the old IRIS had it). So it might be serviceable. Curious what the new IRIS spider owners have found with regard to brightness of the new screen.

Slightly OT, but can the brightness be adjusted? Mine is too dark in day and too bright at night.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Promises,promises

I own a 12c, bought new in octobre 2011, vin xxx136, and I feel cheated. Car never delivered what was promised, and I am trying to sell it half price for about a year now. No interest. My list of grievances is too long to get into, and dealership is crap. Maybe I am going to put it on fire in front of the McLaren offices, or give it away to my worst enemy. Feeling this disenfranchised was what the McLaren marketing promised to be impossible, that was a Fezza thing. Yet again McLaren pulled of an impossible feat, now in Formula S***. Thanx for a truely unforgettable experience. My 458 and 458speciale that will replace it in february are in a different league all together, and I would like to thank McLaren for making me love Ferrari even more. I wonder how many F1 drivers drive McLaren privately, except for the obvious. And even when Lewis drove for them, he drove Italian, maybe that's why he left, not a bad move.
Good night, and good luck.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, sorry to hear that Maxen. It sounds like a truly awful experience. Hoping you get something for it, and your next experience is way way better.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Come on Max, let us know the major problems.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thankfully this doesn't happen very often,and when is does its sods law that it has to happen to such an important customer.Bad luck on both counts,but I bet you didn't think them that bad when you stuffed the dealership car into a barrier and walked away.Try that in a non CF tub and you probably wouldn't have any legs to drive your wonderfull Ferrari .
Just saying,its not always one sided :)
Good Luck,and Good day

1 - 20 of 23 Posts