McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched an older episode of TG the other night where they had a Lambo (Gallardo I think) and they called it a "Hydercar".

Do you think the 12C is a Hypercar?

For me, it seems to easy to use to be a Hypercar.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think the 12C is the top of the super car pile. It can compete with the aventador even on straight pull.

That said, I think the world of hypercars is very limited:

F1, P1, LaFa, 918, VenomGT, Konegg Agera, Bugatti, Pagani, CGT (the bottom of the hyper car list, in its day), Enzo (in its day), SSC ultimate aero/tuatara.

My current standard is they need to cost somewhere over 600k, have base stats setting them apart (today it means sub 3sec 0-60), top speed over 210, and other insanity.

A few that others might call hypercars, but not to me include, aventador, none of the lambo one-offs since they're just one offs.

Obviously others thoughts will differ...

·
Registered
316 Posts
To me hypercars are about HP and performance. I would say that you need about 800HP to be a hyper car and the performance to match. 220 mph (today) seems reasonable and a 0-60 of 3.0 or less. I don't feel that the price matters. The 12C at 616HP and a bit over 200 is close but not quite. It's performance makes it a reasonable consideration. The Gallardo is not close. Th CGT is not a hypercar. It may have been on the edge during it's hay-day but there are sedans that are faster than it today.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree - I would've thought Bugatti, 918, La Ferrari, P1, F1 and a few select others were in the Hypercar bracket.

However, our 12C's can do sub 3 sec (0-60) with the right tyres and a couple of tweaks - yes?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I agree - I would've thought Bugatti, 918, La Ferrari, P1, F1 and a few select others were in the Hypercar bracket.

However, our 12C's can do sub 3 sec (0-60) with the right tyres and a couple of tweaks - yes?
Yea, I think one of the member regularly hits 2.8. But top speed is 207 for the coupe. So it's on the cusp, for me, but still super car.

But I totally understand if some think of it as the bottom of the hyper car silo.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Yea, I think one of the member regularly hits 2.8. But top speed is 207 for the coupe. So it's on the cusp, for me, but still super car.

But I totally understand if some think of it as the bottom of the hyper car silo.
The quoted top speed is 207,but with the new upgrade its been recorded over 215mph a number of times

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
What. Really!? Why the hell was I not on the list for the memo!?!?! :)

So the new top speed for the coupe is 215 and what is it for the spider?

Really, 215!?! It's hard to believe that 25hp would give you another 8mph. Maybe some throttle adjustments...still.

Any videos or articles showing it Andy? Thanks for the heads up...

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Neither. Personally, i think the 12c/458 are the top of the very high performance sports car bracket and not true supercars.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
What. Really!? Why the hell was I not on the list for the memo!?!?! :)

So the new top speed for the coupe is 215 and what is it for the spider?

Really, 215!?! It's hard to believe that 25hp would give you another 8mph. Maybe some throttle adjustments...still.

Any videos or articles showing it Andy? Thanks for the heads up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8Vn3Yso-U

Here you go John,don't try this at home;) This was the spider ,guess the coup might be a couple of MPH quicker with the slight aero advantage ?

·
Registered
42 Posts

What has he done to get the 2.8 times? That's a great launch in anything, especially in a 2wd car.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
IMHO HyperCar means a limited production Halo vehicles. Hp isn't the only criteria and they can't be kit cars(Ultima/Noble). That would take 12C, F458 and even the Aventador out.

The HyperCar club Members are: CGT, Enzo, F1, F40/F50, Bugatti, Zonda, Konnigsegg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Number of the beast!

It's a sportscar admirals, it's a SPORTSCAR. P1 is a supercar. Hypercar is not invented yet generals, not yet. 666 number of the beast.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good points all.

But I'd rather be the SuperCar king than the HyperCar knave.

Or more succinctly:

I'd rather rule in hell than serve in heaven.
Actually, I enjoy being at the top of the SuperCar world and scarring the hypercard. There are a couple of these cars that will fall behind a 12C.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What has he done to get the 2.8 times? That's a great launch in anything, especially in a 2wd car.
My car has the full AWE package. The gain is a bout 42 HP. I also run Corsas in the summer. I haven't done a 0-60 trial but I can tell you that my car is faster than it was without the cat-delete and the tires. So if we are right around 3 off the floor, anther 40 HP and super-sticky tires could give the car another 0.2.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8Vn3Yso-U

Here you go John,don't try this at home;) This was the spider ,guess the coup might be a couple of MPH quicker with the slight aero advantage ?
Crap!? Do we know if that's a stock car? Thanks Andy!

Here is the 2.8 0-60, and I don't know if this is stock either, or if special tires. I recall it's one of our forum members that seemed to say he hit it regularly.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That video is awesome. It's funny, I Check my tire pressure and keep an eye on the temps before I get crazy as well.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Crazy Andy. It's one thing to be modest, but I don't get why McLaren wouldn't tout breaking 210 at least?! Especially if that's the spider; why would they say it maxes at 204? I don't get it.

Perhaps that's just a freak one-off circumstance.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Crazy Andy. It's one thing to be modest, but I don't get why McLaren wouldn't tout breaking 210 at least?! Especially if that's the spider; why would they say it maxes at 204? I don't get it.

Perhaps that's just a freak one-off circumstance.
German mags seem to be honest in most parts,maybe a 10mph backwind :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts