1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Maybe a 2013 spec 12C could make up that lousy .01 sec difference. :D
Maybe. Either way it's a damn good show by the Mac considering the other cars on the list, including the Viper ACR. Speaking from experience, the Z06 on Cup tires is not going to give up much to any road legal car, regardless of price (save for P1 of course!). It has low weight, low C of G, tons of mechanical grip, tons of torque and the LS7 motor is powerful enough for most racetracks. It's actually faster than the ZR1, depending on the track, on equal rubber. On the other hand, the suspension is stiff and I literally could not rest my arms on the armrests for more than a short trip or else get bruises on my elbows. I doubt they are concerned about such things while they rack up the wins at LeMans, however. Very much looking fwd to the C7 Vette. Prepare to see those lap times tumble further.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Did they get the airbrake to work? As in the past ive always wondered as the airbrake only activates at over 62 mph so its always going to be at a disadvantage on a 60 to 0 test,which to me makes a massive difference,ok the lap time is the lap time but the car is definatley faster with platform 10.2 :)

·
Beyond P1
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes perfect sense to me. Cup tires on the Vette and even on lesser tires it would beat almost every car on the list. Z06 is very underrated and very awesome.
Both are R-comp tires and I had thought roughly equivalent. I have only used the Corsas, though.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Both are R-comp tires and I had thought roughly equivalent. I have only used the Corsas, though.
I have tried both on various cars over the years, although yet to try Corsas on my 12C. From my experience and talking with other track enthusiasts, I don't think you'll find many that will say Corsas are as sticky as MPSCs. The Cups are another step up, performance-wise. Even less tread than Corsas, though, so 100% useless if you get caught in the rain. Like you have to pull over and wait it out.

I am not sure how or why Mac ended up with a Pirelli deal, as I have not asked. I am sure there are reasons, perhaps related to low volume? I do, however, wish it was Michelin instead, as Pilot Sports have always been my favourite street tire and Cups my favourite tire for a track car that doesn't need a trailer.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have tried both on various cars over the years, although yet to try Corsas on my 12C. From my experience and talking with other track enthusiasts, I don't think you'll find many that will say Corsas are as sticky as MPSCs. The Cups are another step up, performance-wise. Even less tread than Corsas, though, so 100% useless if you get caught in the rain. Like you have to pull over and wait it out.

I am not sure how or why Mac ended up with a Pirelli deal, as I have not asked. I am sure there are reasons, perhaps related to low volume? I do, however, wish it was Michelin instead, as Pilot Sports have always been my favourite street tire and Cups my favourite tire for a track car that doesn't need a trailer.
That's what Porsche GT series road cars use;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't think GM or MacDaddy have anything to complain about. The 12C's HP and gearshift upgrade should be good for more than .1 seconds and until that happens, the Z06 boys are King of the Hill.

Plenty of good talk for all. HOWEVER, I am impressed by what the Z06 pulled off.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't think GM or MacDaddy have anything to complain about. The 12C's HP and gearshift upgrade should be good for more than .1 seconds and until that happens, the Z06 boys are King of the Hill.

Plenty of good talk for all. HOWEVER, I am impressed by what the Z06 pulled off.
Imagine what nxt gen Z06 will be able to do, especially if CF is in the works:eek:.......and at it's price point!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Err...Chevrolet has said in the past they'll be using more and more CF now it's cheaper to mass produce and there's a chance it will appear on the base model in the form of body parts.

·
Registered
380 Posts
QUOTE: Widowmaker911: Imagine what nxt gen Z06 will be able to do, especially if CF is in the works:eek:.......and at it's price point!

Err...Chevrolet has said in the past they'll be using more and more CF now it's cheaper to mass produce and there's a chance it will appear on the base model in the form of body parts.
I'm a little bit of a Z06 fan and happen to recall that the front fenders are CF and the floor is a balsa/CF sandwich (yummy).

All of that was driven by wanting to homologate a racing car and achieve exactly 50/50 F/R balance. When the 7 liter engine was outlawed, the downsized power plant just didn't produce the same kinds of racing domination. It will be interesting to see where they go in the C7.

·
Registered
380 Posts
A pretty dominant 2012 in the ALMS resulted in manufacturers, teams and drivers titles, haven't kept up that much eh? :p
I was thinking more of Le Mans -- -- the reason the car was homologated. Cars finished 5th and 6th in 2012 GTE after winning a bunch of times. The car wasn't originally conceived for anything like the GTE configuration, but they still did a great job.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yeah, I left school at yr10 because I got bored (was in the Gifted and Talented unit) and went and got myself an apprenticeship in cabinet making. Done various jobs since, run my own business and am now working for a local business I'm likely to end up owning in a few years.

Endurance racing is my passion and I follow it like I follow rugby union, I don't see the problem with that?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yeah, I left school at yr10 because I got bored (was in the Gifted and Talented unit) and went and got myself an apprenticeship in cabinet making. Done various jobs since, run my own business and am now working for a local business I'm likely to end up owning in a few years.

Endurance racing is my passion and I follow it like I follow rugby union, I don't see the problem with that?
CAPITALIST......good for you! ;0).............good luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts