McLaren Life banner

Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Osiris_x11 
#1 ·
For those who are interested, there is a great feature going on over at MotorTrend.com. They are writing up a car a day and introducing them with Randy Pobst doing hotlaps at the awesome Laguna Seca track. Lexus LFA, GT3 RS, Z06, 458, Cayman R and a few others till now. Not sure if they managed to scoop a 12C from McLaren for the test, but you may be surprised which car has the best lap time, so far!

The site is badly laid out and you'll have to click around to see all the pages, but well worth it as the track footage is excellent.

#2 ·
Did you read the latest Car and Driver yet? Comparison test between MP-4, 458, and GT2-RS. The Mac wins, and best of all its spec'd exactly like mine, so now I know what it will look like!
Seems like the US mags like the MP more than the Brits, who focus on BS like "soul" and whether the boss's name sound right, instead of looking at the undisputable facts!

#3 ·
yep we discussed the C&D test here:
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281

This Motor Trend feature is great. But I think chances are slim that they got a 12C for the test. Haven't heard of any 12C being driven in anger in the U.S. yet, by anybody. C&D went to UK to do their article, I think, right?

Would LOVE to see footage of the 12C tackling the Corkscrew turn. I've driven Laguna myself and it is quite a ride!!

#4 ·
Everyone likes to discount the corvettes but they are no joke.

In the measly 260hp Radical, little ol' me was doing 1:29s @ Laguna. epic fun...

#9 · (Edited)
Amazing how on other sites they cannot believe why the 458 didnt blow them all away.
one well known advocate of the 458 uses the excuse that he dosent think that there are any press spec cars in the USA at the moment. If ever i have to say that about a MCLAREN them im off

#11 ·
I think at the moment i cant afford to negate the warrenty!!!,also with all the electronics going on,do you not think it might actually be a negative move.In the past moding 911,s they end up with more hp and torque,then when a new model comes out i find that the factory have done a far superior job anyway.look at some of the german tuning houses,they get great acceleration and top speed,but they can never beat a factory car on lap times.

#13 ·
That must be a nice kick in the balls for the first 2 to 3 thousand 458 customers,wonder if this is the first time they have done this,fair enough if its a scuderia,but then why not be honest and tell the press they are not
comparing like for like.
At least they will have shot their bolt for when the 12c gt3 comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.