McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like to pile on to McL re: their under-developed marketing prowess, but having just had my car back from its 10k tune-up I had further realization on how they are missing some easy stuff.

The car went in and had its software updated for the 2nd time since I got it. The update was free, and improved a host of things. Mostly there were enhancements, not bug fixes. In other words, they were making the car better for me. They did not tell me what they did, let alone try to market this as part of the value added of owning a McL. I had to check with my service manager, who had to check his sources. It is as if these improvements are secrets, rather than benefits.

This is, I believe, the natural mode for a race team that is always seeking to improve the car, but doesn't want to tell the competition. In this street car biz, they would do better to trumpet their approach which is, I think, singular in the business, and a big positive for owners.

But, at the end of the day, I'll take the McL great engineer/poor marketer profile all day long. The car is really great--and keeps getting better.:D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Agreed. The thinking is different than any other small car company. We admire the fact that the Mac gives up very little to bean counters, marketers et al, yet when you have these "white coat" types involved in every facet of the operations, the marketing types get damped down. Thankfully.

I have a certain disdain for marketing theory in general. No offense to any out there... Frankly I'm glad McLaren behaves differently. Even if it causes some snafus. Racers first-- Probably is what makes the 12c so darn compelling. Does the F-car marketing machine make any of those cars better?

Maybe we need a McLarenWorld somewhere. <tongue-firmly-in-cheek>

Better, I think, most of us are way better evangelists for the marque. There isn't an acquaintance with the means and wherewithal that I haven't let drive my happy orange car. I've even made a couple of converts.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Better, I think, most of us are way better evangelists for the marque. There isn't an acquaintance with the means and wherewithal that I haven't let drive my happy orange car. I've even made a couple of converts.
Same here. The best way to get the word out is to let more people actually try the car. People who drive it come away flabbergasted by how good it is.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Agreed. The thinking is different than any other small car company. We admire the fact that the Mac gives up very little to bean counters, marketers et al, yet when you have these "white coat" types involved in every facet of the operations, the marketing types get damped down. Thankfully.

I have a certain disdain for marketing theory in general. No offense to any out there... Frankly I'm glad McLaren behaves differently. Even if it causes some snafus. Racers first-- Probably is what makes the 12c so darn compelling. Does the F-car marketing machine make any of those cars better?

Maybe we need a McLarenWorld somewhere. <tongue-firmly-in-cheek>

A visit to mtc is better than any theme park there's no doubt...

I know you were joking Walt... !

·
Registered
691 Posts
Because I sell them, people don't trust my evangelism. First car I've EVER sold where I haven't had to make ONE excuse for anything (other than late delivery of the nav system). ...and the lack of a garage door opener.

It's a lot easier to "mea cupla" for those tiny things than it is for poor handling, poor quality, poor design, poor abilities. I'll never be able to sell another brand, I don't think.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
A visit to mtc is better than any theme park there's no doubt...

I know you were joking Walt... !

I like this Mikey, MTC and MPC are Mclaren World.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I like this Mikey, MTC and MPC are Mclaren World.
Ahh, so we're back to engineering. That, gentlemen, is why marketing won't ever sway our ilk. F-type marketing or lack of it altogether.

Having said that, and conceding the point that Mac and F are truly different to the core, the fact that many of us own and enjoy both illustrates that we buy these machines in spite of the marketing, not because of it.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Ahh, so we're back to engineering. That, gentlemen, is why marketing won't ever sway our ilk. F-type marketing or lack of it altogether.

Having said that, and conceding the point that Mac and F are truly different to the core, the fact that many of us own and enjoy both illustrates that we buy these machines in spite of the marketing, not because of it.
Think that's why we're here Walt. As you say to us lot marketing is a null point (although I do maintain that trips to mtc are hard to beat) ... however for your less enthusiastic enthusiast if there is such a thing, marketing will likely make a difference and wouldn't that benefit even those of us who don't care too much?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because I sell them, people don't trust my evangelism. First car I've EVER sold where I haven't had to make ONE excuse for anything (other than late delivery of the nav system). ...and the lack of a garage door opener.

It's a lot easier to "mea cupla" for those tiny things than it is for poor handling, poor quality, poor design, poor abilities. I'll never be able to sell another brand, I don't think.
No homelink!! That's unforgiveable.
Having said that, my porky has it, and it won't "learn" from my garage door zapper.
Would it be too extravagant to buy a new motor/control unit just to have Homelink working?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Feelinglucky. No. Especially if you have and old unit. I upgraded one, and it was much quieter, smoother, and worked better (sensing when something was underneath it).

I like finding these "upgrade" moments in life. :)

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
No homelink!! That's unforgiveable.
Having said that, my porky has it, and it won't "learn" from my garage door zapper.
Would it be too extravagant to buy a new motor/control unit just to have Homelink working?
If you do look into getting a new one consider the Liftmaster Direct Drive opener. It mounts on the wall at the front of your garage and rotates the torsion bar installed above the door, eliminating the traditional overhead opener that hangs down in the middle of your garage with its chain or screw drive carrier arm. I have one installed and it is probably my favorite addition to the garage.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you do look into getting a new one consider the Liftmaster Direct Drive opener. It mounts on the wall at the front of your garage and rotates the torsion bar installed above the door, eliminating the traditional overhead opener that hangs down in the middle of your garage with its chain or screw drive carrier arm. I have one installed and it is probably my favorite addition to the garage.

>8^)
ER
+++++1

Regular ones look medieval after seeing the torsion bar. It also hooks to your wifi and you can control it and see when you leave it open.

Also get the one with battery backup built in. I really appreciated it before I installed the big genny for the house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts