McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many may know, the early 2012 MY coupes had some issues with the brand / paint supplier that supplied the paint for these cars (possibly only the Volcano colored cars?)The result was some issues with paint bubbling / peeling under or around the trim of the side most rear glass (aft the door). Midway through that 2012 MY, I believe McLaren went to a new paint supplier. The result was a much better paint that was easier to work with, and much easier to blend (if that was the preferred method).

There has been a previous thread or two on this topic, so I'm curious if anyone here has had there car authorized for a complete repaint. And if so, were you able to confirm this complete repaint included getting in all the door jambs, hood bonnet, etc...etc.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Mac attack. The paint bubble at the rear quarter light was caused by out of spec assembly (glass position I remember ) which when corrected eliminated the problem.......my cars paint was corrected on both panels and now is stable due to window glass replacement.

The change in paint suppliers was driven by other issues according to insiders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine was corrected and the bubble re-painted when I had my 2nd service recently, along with many other upgrades.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have this problem. But because i brought my car to canada from the states, i no longer have a warranty and i have to pay 5K to get this fixed..... shuxx

·
owner
227 Posts
As many may know, the early 2012 MY coupes had some issues with the brand / paint supplier that supplied the paint for these cars (possibly only the Volcano colored cars?)The result was some issues with paint bubbling / peeling under or around the trim of the side most rear glass (aft the door). Midway through that 2012 MY, I believe McLaren went to a new paint supplier. The result was a much better paint that was easier to work with, and much easier to blend (if that was the preferred method).

There has been a previous thread or two on this topic, so I'm curious if anyone here has had there car authorized for a complete repaint. And if so, were you able to confirm this complete repaint included getting in all the door jambs, hood bonnet, etc...etc.

I had complete color change repaint went from orig BRG to Volcano red
I posted thread on this I believe on this website
yes door jambs whole 9 yards by authorized McLaren paint shop.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had complete color change repaint went from orig BRG to Volcano red
I posted thread on this I believe on this website
yes door jambs whole 9 yards by authorized McLaren paint shop.
Yes, I recall your thread on that! But naturally you would have to disassemble the entire car and paint every nook and cranny when repainting a totally different color.

My question is more so in regards to MNA authorizing a complete repaint of the same color due to warranty issues.

·
owner
227 Posts
Yes, I recall your thread on that! But naturally you would have to disassemble the entire car and paint every nook and cranny when repainting a totally different color.

My question is more so in regards to MNA authorizing a complete repaint of the same color due to warranty issues.
no idea. will say my every nook and cranny cost $8000 (although he said if he had to another one it would be
15k)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts