McLaren Life banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a drive and noticed the back plastic cover is missing from my key. I checked ebay and a few other places and they seem to be many $100's. Does anyone know of a cheap place to get them?

·
Registered
2016 570S
30 Posts
No I don’t. I had been wanting to replace mine as well and eBay seems to be the only option. Mclaren will not sell it as a partial purchase. Unfortunately you would have to buy an entirely new FOB (~$1,200 USD). The back covers are poorly manufactured in my opinion. I purchased a nice leather mclaren key fob cover to protect the FOB. PM me if you want the link to it on amazon. It’ll also serve to hold the back in place as well.

JanneChou Handmade Genuine Leather Smart Remote Key Fob Case Cover Fit for McLaren 720S 570S 600LT 540C 570GT Amazon.com: Handmade Genuine Leather Smart Remote Key Fob Case Cover Fit for McLaren 720S 570S 600LT 540C 570GT(Black) : Automotive

Premium Aluminum Alloy Smart Remote Key Fob Cover Case Holder Shell for Mclaren 675LT 625C 600LT 570GT 720S With Key Chian Amazon.com: JanneChou Premium Aluminum Alloy Key Fob Cover Case for Mclaren 675LT 625C 600LT 570GT 720S With Key Chian Gray : Automotive

·
Registered
2017 570S
38 Posts
Maybe I'm talking out my ass, but wasn't there someone on here that re-programmes fobs. Do a search... Perhaps he, or someone else with a dead fob, could sell you the part for cheap!
Edit: after doing a search I didn't see any link... must have been the Ferrari forums

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I havent seen a P1 key but this might work. The key innards are attached to the front face so this would protect the back. There are other but not quite similar options on alibaba and aliexpress too. Carbon Fiber Car Key Case Cover Remote Fob Key Case For Mclaren P1 - Buy Carbon Fiber Car Key For Mclaren P1,Remote Fob Key Shell Bag,Carbon Fiber Car Key Case Cover Product on Alibaba.com
Minimum order of 100 pieces? How many P1 key fobs are there in the entire world??? lol.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Maybe I'm talking out my ass, but wasn't there someone on here that re-programmes fobs. Do a search... Perhaps he, or someone else with a dead fob, could sell you the part for cheap!
Edit: after doing a search I didn't see any link... must have been the Ferrari forums
Xprd has the key fobs . He can program them if you are local to him . I’ve used him for this

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xprd has the key fobs . He can program them if you are local to him . I’ve used him for this
I don't need the whole key, I have 3 functional keys. I only need the plastic back cover. However, the owner of cafe I was at said he may have found it...

·
Registered
570S Spyder Blade Silver, Saddle Tan interior
18 Posts
I just got back from a drive and noticed the back plastic cover is missing from my key. I checked ebay and a few other places and they seem to be many $100's. Does anyone know of a cheap place to get them?
Might just have to bite the bullet and buy the new key fob backs.
But when you install the new key backs do two things before you drive the car next. First, super-glue the key back into place. Second, apply a ceramic coating to the key back. It will keep it looking much better much longer.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 570S
30 Posts
Might just have to bite the bullet and buy the new key fob backs.
But when you install the new key backs do two things before you drive the car next. First, super-glue the key back into place. Second, apply a ceramic coating to the key back. It will keep it looking much better much longer.
Hope this helps.
Definitely would NOT recommend supergluing the key backing into place. Reason being, at some point in the future, either you or new owner will likely have to replace the 2030 CR battery for that FOB. Talk about a pain in the ass trying to pry that open after super-gluing it.

·
Registered
570S Spyder Blade Silver, Saddle Tan interior
18 Posts
Definitely would NOT recommend supergluing the key backing into place. Reason being, at some point in the future, either you or new owner will likely have to replace the 2030 CR battery for that FOB. Talk about a pain in the ass trying to pry that open after super-gluing it.
I may have mispoken. Please DO NOT superglue the colored plastic cover that goes over the battery compartment. If you're like me you will have to change the battery at least every year if not more often. I should have been more clear that you should superglue the face that has the buttons for locking/unlocking the car and the trunk release button to the steel surround that holds the assembly together. My key fob came COMPLETELY apart with all three pieces separating from each other. I superglued the button face to the steel surround and have been happy with the repair ever since. The colored cover (McLaren Orange on my fob) still slides off with no problem. And I did apply a ceramic coat to the colored cover and have been very glad I did that. It restored the shine and protects that million-dollar piece of plastic all at once.

·
Registered
2016 570S
30 Posts
I may have mispoken. Please DO NOT superglue the colored plastic cover that goes over the battery compartment. If you're like me you will have to change the battery at least every year if not more often. I should have been more clear that you should superglue the face that has the buttons for locking/unlocking the car and the trunk release button to the steel surround that holds the assembly together. My key fob came COMPLETELY apart with all three pieces separating from each other. I superglued the button face to the steel surround and have been happy with the repair ever since. The colored cover (McLaren Orange on my fob) still slides off with no problem. And I did apply a ceramic coat to the colored cover and have been very glad I did that. It restored the shine and protects that million-dollar piece of plastic all at once.
I see! Makes sense now. I honestly didn’t realize that the front piece is prone to falling apart. In my opinion these FOBS should be cream of the crop, just like the car it powers, but oh well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts