McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get a mildew smell from the air-conditioning system? I have been daily driving the car and have noted at first start up I get a dirty sock smell for the first 30 seconds that then clears up.

I live in a warm/humid climate but have not had this issue with other cars I have owned.

Anyone?

Thanks!

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Likely condensation & run'off from the A/C evaporator(s). Sometimes a drainage tube or valve, which exits to the bottom of the vehicle may have become clogged and/or unfastened & depositing the water near the evaporator(s).

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Schiznick - I don't have a McLaren, but I do live in New England where we're getting into AC season and this happens with a lot of cars. Typically the reason is that there is some condensation in the AC system at the time you shut the car down, or develops after you shut the car down and all the workings of the AC system are still cold. If it's humid out, that moisture doesn't get a chance to evaporate on its own and it doesn't take long for 'stuff' to grow on anything (ie: dust) that might be sitting in that moisture.

I've had this happen in cars I've had. Cleaning out the AC ducts / system with something like Lysol is supposed to address it, but typically I've just dealt with it since, as you said, it usually only lasts through the first blast out of the vents.

-NH4.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I had this exact problem, first the dew smell, and then the air con drain pipe blocked up, resulting in the equivalent of 2 inches of water in the driver and passenger footwall, took 3 days to fix including complete new carpet set.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Schiznick... I didn't get the mildew smell, but the aircon bleed pipe did block as per ciylads experience.. I too had stacks of water in there and new carpets etc as a result so best get it looked at

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yep. Pretty much every car I've owned. The first blast in the spring is probably dangerous to asthmatics. Not sure about prevention. Running the fan at medium speeds all the time?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts