1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From company press release:

McLAREN AUTOMOTIVE APPOINTS MIKE FLEWITT AS CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Jul 1, 2013

McLaren Automotive, the UK based producer of high performance sports cars, has appointed Mike Flewitt as Chief Executive Officer.

Ron Dennis, Chairman of McLaren Automotive said: “I am very pleased to announce the promotion of Mike Flewitt to Chief Executive Officer. Mike has proven to be an automotive professional of the highest calibre and since joining the company one year ago he has contributed significantly to the delivery of the McLaren Automotive vision. The company has already achieved a great deal, including launching three of the world’s most exciting high performance sports cars, establishing a global dealer network and developing the world class McLaren Production Centre. McLaren Automotive has laid solid foundations for a great future and I am confident that as CEO Mike will play a major role in helping the company to achieve its potential.”

Mike, who joined McLaren Automotive in May of 2012, was previously Chief Operating Officer. This role ceases to exist with his appointment as CEO which is effective immediately.

Before joining McLaren, Mike was Vice President, Manufacturing, Ford of Europe, and Corporate Officer, Ford Motor Company – positions that culminated nine years with the company. Before joining Ford, he held senior manufacturing and operations roles at TWR Group Limited, AutoNova AB and Rolls-Royce and Bentley Motor Cars Limited.

Mike qualified in Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering in 1987 and completed a post-graduate qualification in Management and Project Management at Salford University in 1996. He is also a car enthusiast and a keen driver, on track and off.

Commenting on his appointment, Mike said: “In the year I have been with McLaren, we have launched the 12C Spider and revealed the McLaren P1™, both outstanding sports cars and testament to the talented and hard-working team I am honoured to be a part of. We have a solid product and business plan in place for the future which I look forward to steering. McLaren is a very exciting place to be right now.”

The announcement comes as the company prepares for first deliveries of its most ambitious and technologically advanced product to date, the McLaren P1™, launches in its 25th new market in just two years, reaffirms a commitment to reveal a new product every year and goal to reach a global network of 50 retailers by the end of 2013 – a symbolic number given this is the year that McLaren Group celebrates its 50th anniversary.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Just going by counting (I know, high tech!) the number of dealers on the McLaren Qualified site (http://www.mclarenqualified.com/) I get to 37. I seem to remember something saying there would be five more opening in China... Any idea where others might already be known to be put up?

If they need any suggestions, there are some great spots in New Hampshire for one :) It'd make my decision a lot easier to join the party here. I'm sure it must make wonderful business sense as well...

-nh4.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Rumour is he wants to use the Ford Focus front grill on MY14 to establish his DNA on the Brand. Frank is up for it but not the door handles apparently.

·
Registered
157 Posts
And IRIS is getting replaced with Ford's SYNC. Seems fair, Ford owes a British manufacturer some trade after "borrowing" Aston's front end.

·
Owner
893 Posts
.....And, Still the beat goes on.
Let's see if this guy can reconnoiter the situation, and do better than the last bunch of suits. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ex- COO............... I was a COO for a while. I asked the Chairman what my job description would be. He said, " the COO's job is to be the fall guy for the CEO"!

Good luck to Mike, he's in a lot better place than he was

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
And IRIS is getting replaced with Ford's SYNC. Seems fair, Ford owes a British manufacturer some trade after "borrowing" Aston's front end.
I pray SYNC does not come to the Mac. That's one upgrade I'll skip.

Would be interested in iOS in the Car, or their homegrown solution. For the life of me I cannot fathom why they didn't just plop Android in for IRIS. They could have developed a custom shell for it way easier and quicker, and opened up the market to app add ons.

Seriously amazed this hasn't happend yet. As long as the apps are vetted by the manufacturer, think of all the innovation. Think of having your phone used to tether the system so it can get data. Think of your radar detector's features available through the touch screen. Ability to get traffic. Get multiple nav apps.

There is a lot that can be done with an app store for the car. I'm hoping Apple gets this going with iOS in the car, and praying that the guys at McLaren get this and get current owners an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Flewitt already had Anthony Sheriff's duties since April of this year. And now it's official. Remember Anthony was the person to write to us that the IRIS upgrade would be the world class system befitting a McLaren. And now that is being replaced too.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I think he took the cash first,eh ;):D
Good guess Andy!
Some very nice Norwegians came along and bought our company before I had to " take the fall"

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
you guys are too funny.

Regarding Mr. Flewitt: I hope he has some vision because IMHO the management that launched the 12C was ill prepared for the market and economic conditions.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
nielsll,

McLaren Qualified still lists 37 dealerships. FT article (http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1d65ca68-e864-11e2-8e9e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2Z7kILVD7) says McLaren is targeting 13 total dealerships in Asia. Currently there are 5. So that means 8 new ones by the end of the year. There's also a recent article about a new dealership coming to Scottsdale, AZ. So, if we take the 37 we know about + 8 new ones in Asia, + 1 in AZ, we get to 46 dealers... The new CEO said 50 by the end of the year, so there are either 4 more out there that my digging around didn't find, or they are still under the radar.

Anyone else know where we might see more dealerships?

-nh4.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
nielsll,

McLaren Qualified still lists 37 dealerships. FT article (http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1d65ca68-e864-11e2-8e9e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2Z7kILVD7) says McLaren is targeting 13 total dealerships in Asia. Currently there are 5. So that means 8 new ones by the end of the year. There's also a recent article about a new dealership coming to Scottsdale, AZ. So, if we take the 37 we know about + 8 new ones in Asia, + 1 in AZ, we get to 46 dealers... The new CEO said 50 by the end of the year, so there are either 4 more out there that my digging around didn't find, or they are still under the radar.

Anyone else know where we might see more dealerships?

-nh4.

Our local high end dealer is fighting for one.

50 is not enough - make it 80 and stop producing unsold cars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts