McLaren Life banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I’ve experimented with a lot of tires and in my opinion the 4S is the best tire there is. Perhaps not for track use but on the street the grip is great in all conditions and they don’t need much heat. They even work well in the snow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm really hoping that Bridgestone will come out with the RE-71R's in the correct size. Right now the closest for the rear is 295/30/20. They're really good tires for everything except cold and lots of rain. That's usually my default choice for summer tires. I'm running the PS4S tires right now, as they came on the car when I bought it. The PS4S's are very good tires, but other experience has shown that the RE-71R's are grippier, but noisier and less tread life. I think with the new C8 Corvette using the exact same size as the 720S, there should be even more tire options soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I need new tires. I have the intention to go with the Michelin PS4S. What do I have to select on the vehicle menu? pzero/corsa/trofeo? Many thanks in advance.
Dino

·
Registered
70 Posts
I switched to PS4S 20/21 set up a few weeks ago. The traction is better but ride is a little harsher. I stayed with the "Corsa" setting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I need new tires. I have the intention to go with the Michelin PS4S. What do I have to select on the vehicle menu? pzero/corsa/trofeo? Many thanks in advance.
Dino
Just pick the one for the tyre that closest matches to the screen choice. Ie ps4s would need similar algorithm to pz. Cup2 to Corsa etc
All it would be is a program for when to introduce various little anti skid nannys and such. Or along those lines. Would be some simple parameters within the setting.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Will the Mclaren dealer complain if I ask them to install Michelin tires or is it ok to go to a third party tire chain to install them?
I was getting my tires installed at a third party tire chain. Americas tires (discount tire anywhere other than California) and they charged 50$/wheel so not too bad. I found out my McLaren service center charged the same, so I figured I’d just do it with them and they put on my PS4S for me.

Also on dry track when Corsa is warmed up well it offers good grip and feedback (during the early heat cycles) but heat cycles out fast. PS4S can give equivalent grip throughout more ambient temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,258 Posts
What will you put in car settings? There’s only pirelli choices in there?
depends on the car. In a 12c I select corsa for the 4s because they are that much grippier. In a 720 I’d select Pzero because they are closer to that.

‘’that said in the 12c they do not affect braking or performance it’s more about measuring distance/speed if I recall. I could be misremembering.
‘’I don’t know if it’s the same in the newer cars and if the car meaningfully relcalibrates performance re braking or other things based on tire selection. I suspect not and that the electronics are just always monitoring grip based on actual conditions regardless of tire selection. That’s the smarter/safer play.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've tried PZero and Corsa on various 720S now. Also tried PZero and PS4S on Lusso.

I've concluded PS4S are far better than PZero at all times.

Corsa are far better than PS4S in warm and dry conditions.

PS4S are best all year, all weather.

To the OPs question, I'd set the tyre choice to PZero if fitting PS4S on 720S.

·
Registered
384 Posts
PS4S also look better in my opinion. Sit nicer on the rim. As an added bonus.

In regards to menu tyre selection. In the back of my mind i sometimes think this may be a nonsense setting just designed to keep us thinking only pzero can be used. Part of whatever licencing deal mac and Pirelli have concocted up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For those of you that have PS4S on your 720S do you still use 32psi cold? I find 30 sometimes gives better grip but 32 gives better feedback which turns to more overall control.

·
Owner
521 Posts
I assume this gives a bit sharper turn in response? I’ll try this.

It will give you a bit more bite on the initial turn when you give steering input and the rear will rotate a bit quicker. Again, you are talking about a very, very, very tiny noticeable difference. The average person won't be able to tell, but it is science. LOL. Try putting 29 up front and 34 on the back and it will become apparent--then adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yea I assumed so. I remember on 570s it was 29F and 32Rear. It gave it a bit more turn in and playfulness on track. When I kept it 32 all around it got more stability overall.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am an average person ... I cannot tell whether it is 30/31 or 30/30 or 31/31. Just feels good psychologically. :)

41 - 57 of 57 Posts