McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have PS4S on my S63 Coupe and PZ4 Corsas on the 720S. Very happy with both tires and their level of grip I'd bet is similar. Corsas are holding up better than I expected @ 4200 mi and the PS4S are holding up very nicely with mileage.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,702 Posts
I can tell u that I have (maybe) an issue with the Michelin 4s on my 720s spider.
On the rear I have on my HRE wheels 325/30 4s tyres, and it looks like that they are not providing the needed grip.

Very often the yellow ESC lamp is blinking with the result of less power, feels like that a lot of power is missing and the accelaration is like an naturally aspirated engine...

Believing that this is an issue of the car, I went to the dealer to claim it.

Mounting stock wheels and tyres with only 305 tyres on the back it looks like that the issue is solved. They would change from Micheling 4s to Pirelli Corsa and think that the issue is than solved. ESC system and everything else is working very well.

That said, it looks like that the 4s do not have that grip that I would have expect from them :-/

Very strange....
Were the Michelin's overinflated or were they cold? If the psi was too high or the temps were too low, you'll lose traction. Just a thought...

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
With differences in the tire diameters from stock the traction control system which uses sensors on the axles to detect slip may measure a difference between front axle and rear axle rotation speeds and confuse that with tire slip.

·
Registered
197 Posts
With differences in the tire diameters from stock the traction control system which uses sensors on the axles to detect slip may measure a difference between front axle and rear axle rotation speeds and confuse that with tire slip.
Yes, could be, but shouldn't...

Having the same diameters on my former 650s spider, with Michelin PS2, there were no issues.
Once slipping began, the yellow ESC lamp appear for less than one second, and then power/ acceleration was fully back.

Now on the 720s it's completly different. U can't feel any slip (assumed there is any slip?), but the yellow ESC lamp appears and is then present for some seconds until u change into 3rd gear.
As long as the yellow lamp ia present, u have less power. Same happened this weekend in the 3rd gear.

ESC off u can't feel any slip and u don't have this issue....

Will now try with stock wheels and tyres and I will see what happen...

Interestingwise, in German Porsche board a 911 (991) turbo s owner posted, that he had better 0-100 and 100-200 km/h times with Pirello P Zero than with Michelin 4s tyres...

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Yes, could be, but shouldn't...

Having the same diameters on my former 650s spider, with Michelin PS2, there were no issues.
Once slipping began, the yellow ESC lamp appear for less than one second, and then power/ acceleration was fully back.

Now on the 720s it's completly different. U can't feel any slip (assumed there is any slip?), but the yellow ESC lamp appears and is then present for some seconds until u change into 3rd gear.
As long as the yellow lamp ia present, u have less power. Same happened this weekend in the 3rd gear.

ESC off u can't feel any slip and u don't have this issue....

Will now try with stock wheels and tyres and I will see what happen...

Interestingwise, in German Porsche board a 911 (991) turbo s owner posted, that he had better 0-100 and 100-200 km/h times with Pirello P Zero than with Michelin 4s tyres...

:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Yes the sensitivity of the 720S ESC may be quicker (higher slip sample rate) than that of the ESC of the 650S. I think that if the diameters of your new front and rear tires were entered into the traction control program then the ESC light would behave normally. A diameter change difference front axle to rear axle greater than 3/8 inch (tire wear tolerance) between the stock set up and the new set up may trigger an ESC power interrupt. And yes with ESC off you would not experience the ESC power cut outs.
There are charts available that give tire diameter information for the different tires which you could check and find out how close the Michelin tires diameters are to the stock Pirellis

·
Registered
52 Posts
i run MP4S winters and Sport cup 2s in spring and summer.. love my both set ups.. both set ups works better than Pzeros with my driving habits lol.. i also drove my friends 720s that wears R888r and man they grip sooooooo well in dry but useless in rain

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will the Mclaren dealer complain if I ask them to install Michelin tires or is it ok to go to a third party tire chain to install them?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Will the Mclaren dealer complain if I ask them to install Michelin tires or is it ok to go to a third party tire chain to install them?
it depends on the dealer. My dealer had an extra set of cup2 and asked if I wanted to try them out .

note; in the car settings there is only 3 choices for tires which the esc is calibrated for (the main reason why the Mac dealer may not support you in putting on different tires). The 3 choices are p zero, corsa, trofeo

·
Registered
3 Posts
it depends on the dealer. My dealer had an extra set of cup2 and asked if I wanted to try them out .

note; in the car settings there is only 3 choices for tires which the esc is calibrated for (the main reason why the Mac dealer may not support you in putting on different tires). The 3 choices are p zero, corsa, trofeo
If you don't live near a dealer do thinks its ok the have some tire chain install one of the three choices? Does anyone know if the mclaren dealers typically make you perform any expensive or unnecessary alignment or other procedures after they install one of their supported tires? Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you don't live near a dealer do thinks its ok the have some tire chain install one of the three choices? Does anyone know if the mclaren dealers typically make you perform any expensive or unnecessary alignment or other procedures after they install one of their supported tires? Thank you!!
I’ve had race shops order the tires and Thry put them on.

I had the tires with me one time and a regular tire shop would not mount them . The risk was too great compared to the money they would make on the job .

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I do not get tire changes at the dealer. But almost everyone price matches. So no need to shop around. Just find a shop that knows what they are doing to protect the rims from scratching.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They classicly say “we do not recommend anything other then Pirellis” but they did the installation of my Mp4s, when i went back for the R888r set up, they did not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
R888R’s all day. I have an extra set of sport 4s available for cheap if anybody wants them, but they don’t come close to touching the R888R.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had regular Pzero on mine and swapped 6 months ago to Cup2s.

Here is my experience - Pirelli P Zero:
Decent grip
Quiet
Soft over bumps (P Zero had sound-absorbing foam)

Michelin Cup2s:
Amazing grip
Noise level ok
Ride became a lot stiffer.

Most likely once my Cup2s are done, I will swap them out for Michelin PS4S. Cup 2s are great for a track but I feel every small bump with them when daily driving.

·
Registered
632 Posts
What tire sizes are you guys running with those 4S tires? I may want to make the switch when the time comes.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,258 Posts
Hi everyone!
The mac comes with Pirelli and some people like it, others go Goodyear but so far I dont see no one going to arguably the best tire maker in the moment, Michelin.

Has anyone tried the MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 S or Pilot Sport Cup 2 (the normal version not the R version)?
If so, how do you review it and do you prefer it to the Pirellis?

Thank you all for the feedback!
This thread may be helpful to you:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes... I was expecting this answer.... the PS4 S rock!
And has anyone tried the Cup 2 in the Mac?
Recently put PS4s on my 997TT. Better grip than old Bridgestones (on road) plus clearly quieter and smoother ride. Love them for a non-track car. With MSC2s (non-Rs) on my 991.2 GT3RS surprisingly very easy to break rear traction until they warm up with some unexpected tail-wags! When warm they're fantastic. With the 720 I'm more cautious out of corners on the road so can't really comment on the Corsa's.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts