McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Hopefully a few can chime in with their experience.
Looking to get rid of the factory pirelli tires and change out to the Michelin PS4S
Does anyone know what front and rear sizes are correct as I've been told that the equivalent size as OEM is different and I'm worried about throwing things out with revs, speed and introducing rubbings etc.
Any help greatly appreciated.
I checked the other threads on this but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

Do I need a 235/45/19 front & 295/30/20 for rear to remain as close to factory specs ?

Ads

·
Registered
310 Posts
While running ps4s you could go to the sizes you just mentioned it is not needed. I have OEM size ps4s (generic not brand specific) on my 720s. I haven’t tracked the car with these tires yet. But I know it will not rub on track. I’ve gone on this twisty road with a long descent and rise. On comfort suspension coming down this descent, at the base I’ve braked all the way and have not gotten any rubbing. Keep in mind this is accelerating hard into and immediately transferring the weight with max braking without lockup onto the rise. I do track the car so I know how the wheel well clearances change.

You may still be weary about the rubbing, but I can 95% assure you that you won’t rub.

Also the square sidewalls technically make them 10mm wider. I think this is more an issue with the Pilot Sport Cup 2 because it is wider but also a little thicker. Not too sure. I can only vouch for the ps4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, nice feedback, this is what I need.
I was advised by local McLaren dealership to go with the 295 on the rear which equates to the same size as the OEM pirelli .
The current pirellis just never warm up and I've hear that changing will allow for alot more grip which is what I need as planting the car in 2nd gear just wheelspins and the car struggles to hook up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
As TwnTrbo says get the PS4S in "Blackwall" as they call it ie non car brand specific and in stock sizes they don't rub and you will not believe the difference in grip and traction.... and the wear is uncanny I have done about 12K miles on mine and still plenty of tread left !

·
Registered
310 Posts
Btw also had mine installed by McLaren dealer. My advisor knew this issue but he said it shouldn’t be an issue. I bought the tires myself on tire rack and paid for dealer to install. I used to do it at America’s tire for my 570S as they were the only tire dealer willing to do it. I stopped going there because it was almost the same price to do it at my dealer. I think it was a little less I’d have to check. But I definitely went with the dealer as they’d be fully insured and specifically experienced with the car.

Also you will be amazed with the grip these tires provide. The day I got them on it was raining. I was able to almost floor it in second and third gear and while it slipped it didn’t cut back on power. It was moderate rain too. In the dry it’s a whole other story, it just goes. When it slips out it is very controllable and has good feedback.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would also highly recommend the PS4S. On a 997.2 turbo on the street they have much more grip than Corsas or PSC2s on other cars. The only times the latter are better is after I've been pushing in the twisties in our hills area once they've got some heat in them which I don't get to do that often. PS4S definitely a better street tyre for me and that's even before you consider wet weather driving.

Reactions: Ads77

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks mate, nice feedback, this is what I need.
I was advised by local McLaren dealership to go with the 295 on the rear which equates to the same size as the OEM pirelli .
The current pirellis just never warm up and I've hear that changing will allow for alot more grip which is what I need as planting the car in 2nd gear just wheelspins and the car struggles to hook up.
This makes no sense to me for sizes.

Background: I've been running PS4S's on my McLarens on track since the tire came out several years ago. I was also at the tire's press intro in Cali back then. In fact, here's a test I did for a magazine: Tire Test: Continental vs. Michelin on a McLaren MP4-12C | Articles | Grassroots Motorsports

The OE tire sizes for a 720S are 245/45-19 and 305/30-20, and that's what you should use on the stock wheels.

This dealer comment about the 295 PS4S being "equivalent" to a 305 PZero makes no sense.

Here's some facts (from Tire Rack...for the McLaren version of the PZero-PZ4):

305 PZero...OD = 27.2...section is 12.3...tread width is 10.7
305 PS4S...OD = 27.2...section is 12.3...tread width is 11.2
295 PS4S...OD = 27.0...section is 11.9...tread width is 10.1

The 295 PS4S is a smaller tire, period...not "equivalent". You can run it, and it will work...but you give up a little rear grip in so doing.

The 305 PS4S will not rub on track. I've even run them on 12" wide wheels (stock is 11") with stock offset, and still not rub.

BTW, the PS4S produces great grip (for a street tire) in all non-freezing temps, and even in wet weather (see the test).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have also heard from multiple people that the Pirelli tires made for Mclarens are smaller then the size indicates (ie; 305 pirelli for Mac's is the same as 295 for Michelin).

Report back if you get a chance and do a side by side comparison of a 305 mac pirelli and 305 michelin

·
Registered
180 Posts
What AWH and Unmac said, the Pirellis are a much narrower tire than others. I had to grab a used Pirelli 255/35-19 for my C63 AMG as i damaged a Bridgestone RE71R. Here are some photos comparing how narrow the Pirelli is compared to the same size Bridgestone.

Kurt

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have also heard from multiple people that the Pirelli tires made for Mclarens are smaller then the size indicates (ie; 305 pirelli for Mac's is the same as 295 for Michelin).

Report back if you get a chance and do a side by side comparison of a 305 mac pirelli and 305 michelin
As luck would have it, I have all the tires in question. 305 PZero PZ4, 305 PS4S and 295 PS4S. But the PZero's are currently mounted, so I'll need to wait until they come off those rims for a direct comparo. And all of those tires are heavily worn. Happy to do the experiment for science, though.

That said, the tread width sizes that Tire Rack publishes are done by them, by hand, with actual tires. All of the rest of the specs come from manufacturers (OD & section width). So I trust those numbers which I quoted above.

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had this exact same problem just recently. Posted last week ish.
I was picking up newly bought 720. Wanted the pzeros off and ps4s on. They put sport cup2 on. Anyway... They said the pzeros for 720 are smaller than normal 305 so put a 295 on. They said pzero 305 for 720 equals 295 in Michelin.
Annoys me a little as i wanted 305.
But to be fair when i was at the dealer the other day and had car side by side with another 720 the sizing looks exactly the same
They kept 245 on front.
I will be going back to ps4s 305 when these tyres wear out

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think awh can solve this for us .

just keep in mind that the difference could be Pirelli 305 that is stamped Mcl (specific to mclaren (which could be the equivalent of 295 on all other brands ) vs just a Pirelli 305 that could be the same 305 as other brands .

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes, the pzeros for Mac are specific for the 720. Generic pzero 305 may be more the normal 305 in line with the other manufacturers
Seems a little stupid. The whole point of a measurement is so that it means something...geezus

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, the pzeros for Mac are specific for the 720. Generic pzero 305 may be more the normal 305 in line with the other manufacturers
Seems a little stupid. The whole point of a measurement is so that it means something...geezus
OE tire "calibration" is done for a variety of reasons and is one of the key reasons carmakers establish relationships with specific tiremakers. Sometimes, it is a slight change in physical dimensions to better fit a wheelwell. Other times it is a construction change to enhance load requirements (rear-engined Porsches typically do this). Compounds may also be changed to enhance either performance or longevity. Mostly, though, it is to provide desired ride/handling characteristics. The tire is one of the single biggest contributing factors to these things, so working directly with a tiremaker is key.

I can tell you via direct conversation with tire engineers at Michelin that the generic replacement versions almost always deliver better performance (as defined by grip/response) than the application-specific OE tires. There are exceptions, though....like the Viper ACR Kumho V720, which is way faster than the generic V720.

The Tire and Rim Association is the regulating body for wheel and tire sizing, and they set the standards for physical dimensions versus stamped size. There is a range, and every tiremaker adheres to them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
All this is f..ing stupid. I work in the medical field. I should say...well 2mg of this brand of morphine is probably equal to 3mg of the other brand.
Measurements are meant to mean something and by definition be standard.

Not having a go at you AWH, just this sizing nonsense

·
Registered
674 Posts
I bought the HREs. Considerably more meat than stock, look fantastic, no rubbing and much better than the stock corsas that came on the car. The tire that came mounted on the wheels were used and clearly had seen a heat cycle or two and still massive improvement over the factory tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I have them on my car.
Awesome! Thanks, will order then.

I bought the HREs. Considerably more meat than stock, look fantastic, no rubbing and much better than the stock corsas that came on the car. The tire that came mounted on the wheels were used and clearly had seen a heat cycle or two and still massive improvement over the factory tires.
Aww man. Share some pics. I was trying hard to get the wife to approve the purchase lol. Are you stock height or lowered?

I always get HREs and repurpose the stocks with winter tires but I’m just not comfortable with the idea of driving the 720 in the winter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts