McLaren Life banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice on swapping from MC1 Pirelli P zeros to Michelin PS4S.
Consensus here in UK is that the Michelin is far better but I can only get the 305 rears with either Porsche NO approval or Mercedes MO1 approval.
I can get standard front PS$S without a manufacturer approval but not the rears
I know they are not approved by McLaren but does the manufacturer rating effect the tyres ?
Would I be ok fitting the rear Porsche NO approved ones to my 675LT Spider ?

Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
244 Posts
Watch this video from apex Nurburgring. My recollection is the conclusion was that one would expect michelins to work but they actually impair performance materially on the 675. In full disclosure may have used the cup2 and not the ps4 FYI

2012 MP4-12C
1,769 Posts
I run the non-approved PS4S on my 12C in front and rear. I haven't tried one of the approved variations. Maybe I should have when I just replaced rears, but I didn't. I have no grievances with them, they've been fantastic for 3 years which is why I went back with them. It's my understanding the manufacturer specifc ones have little tweaks in compounds or where the different compounds are placed. Will you see it on street driving? Probably not. Will you see it on track driving? Perhaps a little bit.

I watched the first few minutes of that video and I'll throw some things out there. Cup 2's aren't PS4S's. They don't act the same at all. Cup 2's are abysmal in wet (at least wet conditions like I have) and PS4S do great in wet. Temperatures matter, a lot. PS4S get grippy at 63 degress F (ask me how I know) where Cup 2's have to be much much warmer to do anything. PS4S's do work best above 80 degrees, but they aren't bad below it. We're talking about tire temps, not ambient. The video is in December, which makes me think both the tires and the pavement were too cold to do well, they were set up to fail. They compared to Trofeo R's but were they compared in the same conditions? They may have also set tire pressures to what they normally would and not played with it either. All of this being irrelevant because they aren't the tires in question.

Coming from P Zero's you will be shocked at the difference you feel. Steering will be sharper, reduced or eliminated understeer, less step out in the back. Tire life is also wildly different. You can get 20k miles out of PS4S's in rear, even more on front.

Reactions: alexceres
1 - 4 of 4 Posts