McLaren Life banner

Michelin PS4S causing trouble on wheel arch or not with 650 S spider ? ?

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  lykoxx 
#1 ·
Hi, i am a new frenche owner of a spider 650 S MSO.

Yes, i love it :) the road feeling remember me my ex lotus élise.

I have only a tire problem. The precedent owner was a rich women ( this is not the problem ;) ) and the tires are PZero from june 2014.....with 29000 km....

So, even on dry, it's not easy to go full throttle in 3 gear and on wet.....how to say, it's dangerous !

I call mclaren dealer and he explain that the PS4S can use the wheel arch and it is expansive to change.

A friend of mine had this problem with sport cup 2 michelin but not PS4S.

I read all i can on this forum and the answer seems not very clear for me regarding this precise point.

I will go on track may be one or to time a year but i love to go quickly on small montain roads, i live in the Alpes.

Thank's for advice

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have them on my 675 with no problem but the wheel offset and dimensions are different
I had MPSS on my 650 and they did rub slightly, the MPS4S seem to have a stiffer more vertical side wall
Place it rubs is 2-3 oclock, I'd say go for it, check it after a few months, if it rubs put some 12mm spacers on the back

#3 ·
The Problem:

They seem to have designed the space around the Pzero options. There is very very little space between the liners and the tires. I asked the same thing about using other options instead, and was told the same thing.

Nice car!

Edit: Yeah agree, try it out just keep a check on it. Especially if you are not track driving with a lot of load. I have the MPS4S on my other car and love them :)

#7 ·
Depending on where/how you drive, a pzero will rub into the arches on a 650/12c too..... OP, I'd still go with the PS4S anyway which is actually narrower across the tread apparently than the supersport or cup2 but keep an eye on the rear arches. In most cases on the road they should not be an issue. If you are at somewhere like Spa or the nurbugring that might be another issue.....but using a small 10ish mm spacer will mostly resolve that as well.

#4 ·
The latest edition of the Pirelli Corsa is a very nice tire, and you won't have to worry about any of these other potential issues. I've been very happy with them on my 570S. I would recommend having the tire installers remove the foam sound deadening before installation, they have been known to come loose if the tire gets really hot.

#6 ·
Been running PSC2's and 15 mm spacers all around on stock lightweight wheels for a year now. Rubbing only at full steering lock and with certain road grades, but nothing consistent that would cause alarm. No issues on bumps or under high-g loads.

#8 ·
Well, thank's for those answer.

Some comments: the rubbing is only on the rear wheels, correct ?

This happened in intensive use of the car on track or bumpy roads ? I have a lot of bumpy roads around my area !

A 10 mm spacer will définitivly solve the problem, correct ?

As i suppose the rubbing is on the interior of the arches, is it easy to see ?

How do you rate the Pzero ( not the corsa ) vs the PS4S if no track use ?

#9 ·
As I said the rubbing is ~2-3 o'clock on the rear arch from the inside edge of the tyre
It is not easy to see with the wheel on
My 650 never saw a track but still rubbed, so yes bumpy roads and hard cornering
I solved it with 12mm spacers all round
I hated the P Zero on my 650 and 675, as soon as I wore them out I swapped both to Michelins (650=MPSS and 675=MPS4S)

#11 ·
If your car is in the shop for a warranty claim, it'll be on a lift....just ask the dealer to be reasonable and take the wheels off and hide them away when the warranty assesor comes in....;) that only happens for a big claim as well anyway and the dealer gets paid on warranty work so for smaller stuff they should want to help you.

And the ps4s will be a much better tyre than the original pzero. More capable in different conditions and probably lasts twice as long...no downside other than potential rubbing.

P.s and it's large elevation changes that are the issue more than bumps.

#16 ·
Hello every body,

i need to change my front PZero Corsa but they don’t exist any more.
i have the choice between Pzero MC1 or trofeo R
The corsa is the best tire for my use.
What do you think to change it by the PS4S.
Thanks
PS4S is a wonderful tire, they perform much better than the PZero's. Trofeo R's are worthless off a track, they require a lot of heat to be useful at all, you don't want to hit a wet road with them either.

#18 ·
Sama as dataangel. Just swapped to PS4's and took the car straight to Laguna Seca. Zero issues in stock sizes, and that track has immense compression coming out of the corkscrew.

They work fine. Significant upgrade over PZeros, and while they do plateau in performance with heat, they stay pretty consistent as opposed to PZeros that fall off a cliff. Happy with this choice.

#24 ·
Mise à jour de 10 mois - J'ai tiré les roues aujourd'hui juste pour inspecter certaines choses et il y a des preuves d'un léger contact avec le revêtement de roue du côté passager. Il n'est pas usé ou structurellement endommagé, mais vous pouvez voir où le pneu l'a brossé sous certaines conditions de suspension de bord. Il n'y a aucune preuve de ce genre du côté du conducteur. Ainsi, bien que le PS4S EST un pneu fabuleux, il peut entrer en contact avec le revêtement de roue dans les bonnes conditions. Je ne sais pas si les Pirelli font la même chose. Depuis, j'ai installé des entretoises de 12 mm et je les ferai fonctionner pendant un certain temps - je suis convaincu qu'elles élimineront complètement le contact.
[/CITATION]
Hello I've the little problem with the Pzero Corsa Asimetrico 2 .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.