McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of talk about these tires and that supposedly they do not make the right size for the MP4-12C. So I was looking a doing a rim and tire conversion on my Audi, and this guy that I know mentioned going with 275/35/20 on the front and a 305/30/20 on the rear of my Audi. Which lead me to the next question which tires come in these sizes, low and behold he mentions the Michelin PSS. So that really got me thinking, does he know what he's talking about 305/30/20 in a MPSS and the answer was yes. That said we have them up here in Canada eh..... so I've got these babies coming in for the Audi and who knows maybe a set for the Mac or not. Time will tell which way I will swing with the tire dilemma. If any one is interested in these tires PM I have a good contact on
these babies. Cheers..... ??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Please share who is stocking these! Assume TireRack.com will have them soon enough, easily in enough time before my P Crapo's wear out.

Great news, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please share who is stocking these! Assume TireRack.com will have them soon enough, easily in enough time before my P Crapo's wear out.

Great news, thanks for sharing.
No unfortunately Tirerack does not have these tires in stock, on top of which they don't even have the product code for this tires. The company's I've dealt with all show the size and the appropriate Product Code# 87598. I will contact my buddy tomorrow to find out the ETA on these babies, the last quote was 2 days. Cheers......??

·
Registered
551 Posts
We got them in Europe. Quit interesting to know if there is a compound difference between thenStates and Europe. Tires over here need a CE label. A guy with a Gallardo even told there's a difference betweeen stock tires and L(ambo) rated tires.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was told that the stock levels in Canada are 0, they have an expected eta of approximately 4 to 6 weeks. So I guess I was one of the last ones to get this size before stocks ran out. They also indicated that this size will soon be available south of the border, that should put smiles on some people's faces. The two guys that I've been dealing with are Alan from Simply Tires and Imran from Tire Terminal. Cheers.....??

http://simplytire.com/

http://www.thetireterminal.com/new_tires.html

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have been told that the 12C require a specific tires that have the 'MC1' indication on the side wall. I was brought to understand that such designated tires have 20% more grip as compared to its generic equivalent.

If this is true, would changing tires to other makes other than the factory designated Pirelli Corsa or Trofeo R result in handling issues under extreme conditions?

I've known recently of a '13 458 Italia that threw up a fault code with the ESP when the owner changed the wheels and tires of the car.:eek::( This phenomenon however did not occur on the '12 cars.:confused:

Would love to hear any comments on this matter. Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just put on Vorsteiner 20/9 and 12.5 with PSS 245/30/20 front and rear 335/30/20. On the hoist it look as if the side of the rear will contact the rear diffuser but when i drop the car, it seem to be ok. Been driving it a couple of days and so far it seems alright. Will have a look at them again in a couple of days to check if everything is ok.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just put on Vorsteiner 20/9 and 12.5 with PSS 245/30/20 front and rear 335/30/20. On the hoist it look as if the side of the rear will contact the rear diffuser but when i drop the car, it seem to be ok. Been driving it a couple of days and so far it seems alright. Will have a look at them again in a couple of days to check if everything is ok.
Excellent!
Great update! It really looked like it was touching the rear diffuser and rubbing the inner wheel well that day when the car was lifted up on the hoist. All the initial concerns have but evaporated once the wheel and arms are in line with the suspension geometry when the car is properly on the road. See u soon.
Congrats buddy!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cka do you have any pictures that you would care to share with us, it would be great to see exactly the way your car looks with these rims and tires on. Cheers....??

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Ok, soooo close to buying. Just need to get a snap of the tire conditions too see if I should ask for a little bit more off or not.

That said, if the stock tires are a bit too worn (4K miles on the car) I was wondering what the best tires I can get for the stock wheels are. I have MPSS on the R8 and they are great. Are my understanding it correctly that these aren't available for the 12C? Should I just buy another set of stock type?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ok, soooo close to buying. Just need to get a snap of the tire conditions too see if I should ask for a little bit more off or not.

That said, if the stock tires are a bit too worn (4K miles on the car) I was wondering what the best tires I can get for the stock wheels are. I have MPSS on the R8 and they are great. Are my understanding it correctly that these aren't available for the 12C? Should I just buy another set of stock type?
If the rear sizes are not yet available, they will be soon. My understanding if I remember correctly is that the Grey Auto Gallery car needed new front tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about toyo 888 guy they are very stick and you can put front 235 and rear 20 315 i think

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about toyo 888 guy they are very stick and you can put front 235 and rear 20 315 i think
Yes you are correct GT RUS with that recommendation, I was contemplating doing the same thing or going the Pirelli Trofeo R route. Cheers....??

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Just a heads up, I had R888s on another car and eventually took them off. They are really loud imo and pick up a ton of debris. I wore them out for the sake of getting use out of them, but they really were too loud for my taste. The probably require more heat to really perform as well. I personally wouldn't use them again. I've had MPSS since then and I'm happy with those.

Oh, and even with AWD they weren't very good in the rain, so keep that in mind as well if you DD it rain or shine. They aren't gonna make you crash or anything, but you can definitely feel the difference.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
35 Posts
You guys should be careful.
Another member used non standard wheels/tires and McLaren voided his warranty!
Check for his post on this forum in the last week.

His trans killed itself. Not an uncommon occurrence as a number of others have had theirs replaced. But the non standard parts let McLaren void his warranty!

·
Registered
551 Posts
That story isn't finished yet and verbally they said that the guy who wrote the email perhaps was a little to expliciit. I did however put the stock wheels/tires back on and felt the sfifting pattern to be much better. If I need to make a choice Optics vs Performance I go for performance but that's just me. The 335/30/20 are 18mm extra in the rear and the 245/30/20 are only 9mm extra. Whatever stickier tire I'd keep to the same rolling diameters as stock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts