McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

While stuck at home during the coronapocalypse, I plan to install a water/meth kit on my 12c. I was curious if there were any other members who have gone that route. Fortunately, I have @Renaissance Speed intercoolers, which have built-in ports for the meth kit nozzles. That will make one aspect of the installation easier. However, there are a bunch of other aspects to this install. If there are any other members with a meth kit...

1. Where did you tap into the car's power system for the meth system?
2. Any images of the installation, e.g. pump and/or tank mounting locations?
3. Routing suggestions for the fluid lines from tank to engine? I am not sure if one can avoid removing all of the under-body panels.

Thanks in advance!

·
Trusted Source for McLaren Performance
143 Posts
Fortunately, I have @Renaissance Speed intercoolers, which have built-in ports for the meth kit nozzles. That will make one aspect of the installation easier.
We are pleased that you have embraced the upgradability aspect of our race intercoolers. It makes a lot of sense to owners like yourself that want to enjoy the next power level, before taking it up another notch with methanol :cool:

Looking forward to the end result here. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nordstat,
Are you having the ecu tune updated to maximize the methanol injection benefits? I have not done any mods to my 12C yet, but have installed several
Methanol injection kits in previous cars. With tuning, my 300ZX TT produced another 70+ whp at the same boost with Meth injection. I haven't seen much on the forum about tuning with the 12C and meth injection tuning. As much power as these engines make, it should be a very nice safety margin(provided you keep the reservoir topped up) and allow for more timing at the same boost pressure. Subscribed!

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nordstat,
Are you having the ecu tune updated to maximize the methanol injection benefits? I have not done any mods to my 12C yet, but have installed several
Methanol injection kits in previous cars. With tuning, my 300ZX TT produced another 70+ whp at the same boost with Meth injection. I haven't seen much on the forum about tuning with the 12C and meth injection tuning. As much power as these engines make, it should be a very nice safety margin(provided you keep the reservoir topped up) and allow for more timing at the same boost pressure. Subscribed!
Yes the plan will be to do a post-install tune through DynoSpectrum. At present, the car puts down 725 whp (pure S2 turbos, Renaissance Speed intercoolers, Larini catted downpipes, and custom tune). @Renaissance Speed has a similar setup with meth that put down ~830 whp, and a recent 600LT with the another similar setup did ~860 whp. I am very excited to see where the meth kit takes the car!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes! Awesome, that sounds on par with my expectation with just the meth kit added! I’ll be modding mine once I get it here.....

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take pics along the way. I’m going for a more easily accessible system compared to some others. Yes it sacrifices some trunk space (esp with the 2.5 gal tank) but I would rather be able to access key system components without needing to take the car apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Everything is a compromise! And as in my experience, that is the bst way to install the system. No matter how well you install the system, issues arise. I have had lines leak randomly, or solenoids fail. Nice to be able to access the parts readily to troubleshoot and repair easily. I look forward to seeing the layout and result! Good Luck!

·
143 Posts
@Renaissance Speed has a similar setup with meth that put down ~830 whp
+1...our current setup, on 93 + meth, puts down 970rwhp on our highest street tune. This is higher than most tuned 720S with race gas. Kind of mind boggling to have this much power on tap at any time on the street. Methanol is a key component here.

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I have everything planned out for the install and have done test routes of all of the lines extent the main one. And that is where I am stumped. I have no idea how to get the meth from the front-trunk to the engine bay. I checked under the car and most of it is the underside of the carbon tub. Not many places to access a path from front to back of the car. The only thing I could find is (maybe) the strip of underbody panel along the centerline of the underbody. I wanted to check with folks on the forum what is under that strip before I go and remove that plate.

Thanks!

·
143 Posts
The only thing I could find is (maybe) the strip of underbody panel along the centerline of the underbody. I wanted to check with folks on the forum what is under that strip before I go and remove that plate.
This center tunnel is the only way to route anything from the boot to the rear of the car due to the flat bottom design of the tub. McLaren uses it for exactly this same reason, for routing hydraulic, coolant, brake lines, etc. As such, feel free to remove the center tunnel paneling.

More importantly, you will want to add extra abrasion resistance to any hoses or wires ran through there since there will a decent amount of vibration. Special care needs to be taken not to damage your methanol hose or any other factory pipes in the vicinity.

On a different note, we have a spare MAP sensor (4-wire) pigtail that will let you splice into the wire without damaging the factory harness. Meaning this part would be reversible. Text us for current pricing:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well done! I will also be doing Methanol injection in the not too distant future, so a great feature you offer!

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More importantly, you will want to add extra abrasion resistance to any hoses or wires ran through there since there will a decent amount of vibration. Special care needs to be taken not to damage your methanol hose or any other factory pipes in the vicinity.
Fortunately, the center tunnel has rubber gaskets every ~16" which hold the hydraulic lines. The width of these gaskets are perfect to hold the methanol line in place without issue. No extra abrasion resistance necessary! Slightly different story going up through the engine bay, but it is pretty open back there so I am not too worried.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fortunately, the center tunnel has rubber gaskets every ~16" which hold the hydraulic lines. The width of these gaskets are perfect to hold the methanol line in place without issue. No extra abrasion resistance necessary! Slightly different story going up through the engine bay, but it is pretty open back there so I am not too worried.
Are you planning on tapping into the washer fluid tank for the meth install or are you installing a separate tank?

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am putting the Snow Performance 2.5 gallon tank in the trunk. I can still comfortably fit two duffle bags in there so not much space lost. I’ll post pictures of the install once complete.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am putting the Snow Performance 2.5 gallon tank in the trunk. I can still comfortably fit two duffle bags in there so not much space lost. I’ll post pictures of the install once complete.
Fair enough. I was just thinking that it would be easy to tee into the line for washer fluid to hook the pump up to. Would be a cleaner install with nothing sitting in the trunk. Also you would use the standard "low washer fluid" warning from the car to know when it is time to top up again

·
2012 MP4-12C
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, many folks have done the washer reservoir tap (e.g. @Renaissance Speed). My issues were twofold:

1. I wanted to have the kit fully reversible without the need for replacing factory components, mainly so if I did screw something up I can buy the parts from the kit's manufacturer and not McLaren (saves $$$).

2. I plan to track the car more regularly once the COVID-19 issue dissipates. The washer reservoir is ~4 L in volume, which would give you ~3 minutes of water/meth injection at WOT until completely dry based on how my kit is set up. That is only a few laps on a track before you need to refill. With a 2.5 gal tank (~10 L), I will get ~8 minutes at WOT, which is more akin to the time you would need for at least one full track session, hopefully more.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts