McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed today a metallic rattle/vibration when going about 70 mph on the highway. I think it was occurring at speed when going over bumps, but I'm not entirely certain. I tried playing with the suspension and power train, as well as various other things. Didn't seem to have much affect.

It was definitely coming from in front of me and sounded like it might have been far forward, lik maybe near the speakers. It was audible and quite annoying, and it definitely sounded like something inside the cabin rather than outside. It is hard to describe what it sounded like. Sort of a like a sound you'd get from the vibrations through a thin piece of metal. Like a buzz almost. I know I've heard similar sounds before, but can't think of what exactly it compares to at the moment. Imagine bending one of those stiff, spring door stops sideways and letting go. Boingzzzzz.

Any ideas?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
noone1, is it coming from the front center, or one of the sides. I had a loose vent making a small rattle at certain rev ranges. Dealer located it, fixed it, and haven't heard it since.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
noone, I had a shimmy there too and it ended up being something with the vent.
Many times it does sound like it came from front vent closest to windscreen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Noone1 : did you find the rattle and/or noise cause ?

i have exactly the same. Well mine is coming from further away from me towards the passenger side and again towards the dash / lower windscreen area ....... i noticed it come in from 150km and up .... so about the same ...... good news is around 280km with roof down it disappeared ..... mmmmm

I added it to a list too.

So far mine is 2 weeks old and i've got :

- rattle (same as you explain)

- condensation, small amount, building up in the lower front corners of both headlight units - whether its purely as the heat here has gone unusually ballistic with 40c but if parts were also geared to mid-east then that shouldn't be the issue

- door : when the door is open the bottom front (on the lifted door) has a build up of stones and grit / insects around the black plastic ..... i think photo is better explain but anyone checking the door underside at the front, hood direction, should find it and the stone/grit build up

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
New AC compressor.
Interesting, I just had to get a new compressor, plus I know another guy in Houston that had the same problem. Perhaps they're not built to handle 8800 rpm?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was having a similar rattling sound. Isolated it and found it was the cover on top of the instrument cluster and the mounts that were rattling. Annoying.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was having a similar rattling sound. Isolated it and found it was the cover on top of the instrument cluster and the mounts that were rattling. Annoying.
I think I have the same rattles, appears to be the plastic instrument cluster covers. Becomes more pronounces when driving over worn out road surfaces which create small vibrations throught the car.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Noe,
Rattle: I had a dash rattle behind the passenger airbag that was due to a loose module. Dealer fixed it.
Stones collecting around the black plastic trim on the bottom of the doors: I ran a small bead of silicone adhesive to seal the gap where the stones collect; problem solved.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Noe,
Rattle: I had a dash rattle behind the passenger airbag that was due to a loose module. Dealer fixed it.
Stones collecting around the black plastic trim on the bottom of the doors: I ran a small bead of silicone adhesive to seal the gap where the stones collect; problem solved.
Did the same, the plastic / rubber trim was coming loose, friend used the same adhesive that is used on windshields, fixed it perfectly.

I still have a rock inside my passenger door, can hear it when you open it, told McLaren S.F. about this, but of course they didn't fix it. :mad:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did the same, the plastic / rubber trim was coming loose, friend used the same adhesive that is used on windshields, fixed it perfectly.

I still have a rock inside my passenger door, can hear it when you open it, told McLaren S.F. about this, but of course they didn't fix it. :mad:
I'm sure we can take care of that for you. Give us a ring.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts