McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the built in hard drive is 40GB.

(1) Does anyone know what the odds are of upgrading this?
(2) Does anyone know what type of hard drive is used (e.g., 1.8" iPod style hard drive, 2.5" laptop HD, etc.?).

I'd love to put in a much larger drive (something over 120GB should suffice to get my entire music collection in there.

(3) Has anyone tried?
(4) Does anyone know how you copy tracks from, say your iPod, to the built in HD?

I didn't see it in the main manual and the IRIS manual that came with my car doesn't even show the Nav features.

(5) Actually, does anyone have access to the latest PDF versions of the owner manuals, IRIS manuals, etc. manuals?

Thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I didn't know we can copy songs to it!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know we can copy songs to it!
I'd love to share my totally inappropriate "theory v. reality" joke, but I'll spare you... :)

Anyway, in "theory" we have a 40GB built in hard drive to put music in the car without the need for an iPod. In reality, my manual doesn't even mention a Nav. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I see nothing in the manual, plug in a USB drive with the songs on it?

·
Registered
912 Posts
plugged in a usb drive with music on it, took a while for IRIS to index, but it did play, didn't see any options to copy the music to the hard drive...

·
Owner
277 Posts
plugged in a usb drive with music on it, took a while for IRIS to index, but it did play, didn't see any options to copy the music to the hard drive...
There are now micro mini usb stick that are so short when you plug them in only the little end sticks out just enough to grab you can get a 16gb 32gb and maybe bigger and just leave it in it doesn't stick out at all it is the same as having another hard drive but one that works.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know nothing of this hard drive of which you speak. I just leave a 16GB stick with my mp3s I. And it works fine. What I can't figure is why some songs have album art and others not.

Sadly, my Chevy Volt sound nav and etc touchscreen is worlds better.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know nothing of this hard drive of which you speak. I just leave a 16GB stick with my mp3s I. And it works fine. What I can't figure is why some songs have album art and others not.

Sadly, my Chevy Volt sound nav and etc touchscreen is worlds better.
I've heard good things about the 17" tesla touchscreen. Personally, I wish they would just use AirPlay and let me project my phone UI onto the console screen and use the console as a bigger touch screen input surface. Maybe have an enhanced antenna for GPS much like the TOMTOM cradle works for yoru iPhone. The phones are updated way more often.

Just need remedial radio/speaker integration, for it to work.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Tesla system is the best I've ever used by far.....

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The hard drive is there,but as of yet no access is available,this will be the subject of another upgrade,why I do not know,guess they were concentrating on getting the NAV up and running.But i have asked the question at the mother ship!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
The Tesla system is the best I've ever used by far.....
I personally believe the ideal garage would be a 12C and a Tesla S (Performance). I was blown away by the Tesla. And also by the fact that they just decided to embrace the future and stuck a 17" tablet PC in the dash. Imagine. Entering destinations as easily as you do on your phone (where you put the name of the establishment, and it's guessing). SO easy.

And driving it was pretty incredible too. Surreal. Crushing, silent acceleration. I was more surprised that it actually handled quite well (I guess it has a very low CG)...

·
Registered
912 Posts
can't say enough about the Tesla Model S, amazing car, super quiet, super smooth, VERY fast, no shifting, no transmission, no waiting for power, it's instant all the time, 0-60 in 3.9 on my VBOX and I ran 12.3 @ 110.8 MPH. 17" screen and digital gauge cluster is the best car infotainment I've ever used. It's running google maps and google voice recognition, built-in 3G (upgradeable to 4G LTE later). No gas stations, no service or maintenance required.

I had originally planned on a red/grey tesla, but got impatient and bought a prebuilt one that someone didn't pay for. So I had my tesla 3 weeks after ordering instead of months. My Tesla contact called me last week with a 2013 red/grey one that was available, so I sold my 2012 Model S on ebay in 12 hours for what I paid for (after 5 months and 5,500 miles and picked up the red...

Sorry to stray OT very briefly, but are you happy with your Tesla S?

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I put my music on a portable HDD and leave it in the car. From past experiences it is easier to update a portable HDD compared to sync'ing data in your car (plus they are dirt cheap on Amazon these days).

First time I plugged it in it did take awhile. Initially thought it was broken as the loading icon in the top left corner of the entertainment screen isn't very obvious.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
I'm using one of these bad boys:

256 GB USB drive. Not much bigger than a playing card.

Now if only Doris recognised FLAC formats for lovely lossless quality....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm using one of these bad boys:

256 GB USB drive. Not much bigger than a playing card.

Now if only Doris recognised FLAC formats for lovely lossless quality....
I suspect it may work with Apple Lossless format since it's just an MP4. Pain to re-encode though...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts