McLaren Life banner

201 - 208 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anyone have info , pictures on how to remove the interior panel that the seat belt is located behind. Need to do a seat belt swap but not sure how the panel is secured. Probably just clips but want to make sure before I break anything. McLaren parts are not easy to source!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, writing from Shanghai, China. Had my 570 spider for more than half a year with 3000+ km on it.

1) Brakes are extra squeaky, would squeal sometimes at even the slightest pressure or slowest stop, and longer a particular trip is, the more pronounced it becomes.

2) Brakes again...? At slow speeds, 30km/hr and under, while driving in a straight line or turning, without doing anything or touching the brakes, the car/brake would squeal once per rotation of the wheel, a quick and sharp metallic sound like something is being scrapped. Brought it up with dealer yet they declined to address the issue or even find where the problem is since "the material may cause the noise normally, this is not impactful to the quality issue".

I've already given up on the brake squeal since ceramic brake yada yada, can't be bothered to fight the dealership on this issue over and over even though I don't think it should occur this early to a car that only has 3000km on it.

But 2) is just infuriating and straight-up embarrassing... imagine if your car made a metallic squeal that can be heard in an 8-10 meter radius (it can get quite loud), on every rotation of its wheel, and this car cost $450000+ (yes that's how much a 570 costs in China fml)

Sorry for the rant. Anyone with similar problems? Any suggestions as to how I can address the issue are also welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
This from Porsche
“The reality is that cold brakes in any car can squeal at low speeds. The pads and the rotors won’t reach operating temperature without repeated stops from moderate cruising speeds—or if they’re carbon-ceramic brakes, without hard pedal applications at much higher speeds.

Try some hard braking—see if that reduces the squealing
:)

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
@HaoranJ -- For the squealing, what I had to do to clear it was hard breaking as @eMcL suggested. I'd find an empty back road, get up to about 60-70 mph and then stand on the break pedal until I was going about 10 mph. You might need to do this a few times to clear it, and when you do, don't come to a full stop. What seems to happen is the brakes (not sure if it's the disk or the pads) get glazed, you have to burn off that glazing.

For the second issue, it sounds like one of your disks might be warped. But they are carbon brakes right? I didn't think that could happen to those disks! Either way, I'd take it back to the dealership. Put your sales guy in the driver's seat, and you get in the passenger's seat. Have him drive around in the car in the fanciest part of the city while it's making this noise at every rotation, and ask him if he thinks it's helping him sell more cars. Ask him if he feels like he's getting the most out of the McLaren Experience.

You'll get it fixed.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am somewhat new to McLaren's after being a Porsche guy. Traded in my 911 4S for a 2017 570S. I keep getting to message right before i shut the car off. ESC fault Vehicle limphome. Have no idea what thats mean's, if someone could help me out. Thank you in advance. Bob

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am somewhat new to McLaren's after being a Porsche guy. Traded in my 911 4S for a 2017 570S. I keep getting to message right before i shut the car off. ESC fault Vehicle limphome. Have no idea what thats mean's, if someone could help me out. Thank you in advance. Bob
There are a number of potential causes reported by owners over the years:
  1. Tire diameter too large/small. If not stock, what size tires are you running?
  2. A brake sensor sending erratic codes. I'm not sure if this is related to the emergency brake sensor (rear), pad sensor (doubt), or ABS.
  3. Random persistent code - disconnect the battery for a few minutes to hard reset the code.

201 - 208 of 208 Posts