McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
I dug it. I wouldn't pay millions for it, but in person, when you could inspect the details, it's impressive. The application of the carbon was beautiful. The Quail was awesome as a whole.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Why so much hate for McLaren and MSO for this? The customer obviously had a very specific idea for his car and wanted it to be influenced by some past automotive designs, architecture, etc. It's not as if this is the next McLaren model or some tuner's aftermarket kit. It's one man's vision and MSO just made it happen for him. That is what MSO is all about.

Personally, I'd love to see it up close. It sounds like there are some some amazing details, materials and finishes.
It's not hate, I am too busy laughing at it, having a hard time typing. Eric Clapton had a vision of mixing a 512 BB with a 458, easy to understand, older Ferrari, newer Ferrari. Uh, what two McLaren cars is this monstrosity supposed to simulate? MSO should not be about doing anything a customer wants, but adding special touches to personalize the car to the specific customer. If I ran MSO and was given that design, I would hand it back to the guy and say, sorry, no way we want our name on that. Maybe try down the street.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
That's clearly not how it works. You don't say no to someone who has pretty much owned every McLaren road car. That's the kind of thing that turns him away from buying the P12. And as such this person would also probably tell all his rich friends how MSO has treated him. MSO gets to work with the practice of design to manufacture while they get paid and develop further ties for future purchases.

I'm not a fan at all, but I can see how it would look interesting in person.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Might go down as another <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym> blunder by McLaren:rolleyes: They should have put a lid on this one. to top it all off, they are gonna show it at PEBBLE OMG:eek:
This will not be shown at Pebble Beach. Tonight it left the Quail on a transporter to go back to the airport and into a shipping crate where it will be returned to Woking for some final fettling before delivery to the customer. At Pebble Beach they have a burgundy 12C Spider, the Can-Am Edition Concept, and Lewis' MP4-26 in their tent. Then on the Concept Green outside the lodge they will have the 12C Spider in Yellow that was put together by MSO and revealed for the first time at the Gooding preview event this evening.

Why so much hate for McLaren and MSO for this? The customer obviously had a very specific idea for his car and wanted it to be influenced by some past automotive designs, architecture, etc. It's not as if this is the next McLaren model or some tuner's aftermarket kit. It's one man's vision and MSO just made it happen for him. That is what MSO is all about.

Personally, I'd love to see it up close. It sounds like there are some some amazing details, materials and finishes.
It really is a special car and exceptionally well engineered and built when you get the chance to view it in person. I also liked it significantly more in real life than my initial reaction to web photos yesterday morning.

I dug it. I wouldn't pay millions for it, but in person, when you could inspect the details, it's impressive. The application of the carbon was beautiful. The Quail was awesome as a whole.
Yes - I am in total agreement here. More in my next post...

>8^)
Erik

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I will tell you all later why I love the thing.

>8^)
ER
So here goes...

I am going to buck the trend here of saying it is awful and instead suggest that I love it. Qualifying that statement, I will admit that if I had the same amount of money available that was spent on this car and the same opportunity to do something great like this with McLaren, the X-1 would certainly not be the result I would have come up with - that part is true. What I do love about it is that one person had a dream of a car they wanted built and McLaren, with their 'never say no' attitude was able and willing to execute on it, despite the fact that it isn't traditionally something you would expect to see from them.

I spent a lot of time with the X-1 this afternoon and the execution of every detail is quite exquisite. This doesn't look like a one-off car and the three years McLaren have spent working on it with the owner to bring this dream to reality have produced a finished product that gives no indication of its status as a customized vehicle based on another car. This thing is immaculately well built and I honestly think that if you were able to see it in person you might prefer it a bit more to the impression from only seeing it in photographs.

Almost no one is doing bespoke one-offs any longer which is a real shame. There were a flurry of them produced for the Brunei Royal Family in the 1990s - many of which have hardly been seen - and there have been a couple other private efforts like Ferrari P4/5 for Jim G. This used to be standard practice in the automotive industry and it produced cars that are some of the most desirable you will find at auctions and concours around the world present day. Government regulations just make it far to costly and complicated now which is a massive shame. McLaren even went so far as to perform crash testing on the car to ensure there would be no limitations on safety with the changes that were made.

Lastly, if you have not been swayed at all by anything I have said here, perhaps you could consider it some conciliation that the profit generated from McLaren building this will help the brand to build more of the cars we do want to see from McLaren. The P12 supercar will be unveiled at Paris in September and I expect a much different reaction to that car than this one. They haven't lost their way by doing this - not one bit.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
So here goes...

I am going to buck the trend here of saying it is awful and instead suggest that I love it. Qualifying that statement, I will admit that if I had the same amount of money available that was spent on this car and the same opportunity to do something great like this with McLaren, the X-1 would certainly not be the result I would have come up with - that part is true. What I do love about it is that one person had a dream of a car they wanted built and McLaren, with their 'never say no' attitude was able and willing to execute on it, despite the fact that it isn't traditionally something you would expect to see from them.

I spent a lot of time with the X-1 this afternoon and the execution of every detail is quite exquisite. This doesn't look like a one-off car and the three years McLaren have spent working on it with the owner to bring this dream to reality have produced a finished product that gives no indication of its status as a customized vehicle based on another car. This thing is immaculately well built and I honestly think that if you were able to see it in person you might prefer it a bit more to the impression from only seeing it in photographs.

Almost no one is doing bespoke one-offs any longer which is a real shame. There were a flurry of them produced for the Brunei Royal Family in the 1990s - many of which have hardly been seen - and there have been a couple other private efforts like Ferrari P4/5 for Jim G. This used to be standard practice in the automotive industry and it produced cars that are some of the most desirable you will find at auctions and concours around the world present day. Government regulations just make it far to costly and complicated now which is a massive shame. McLaren even went so far as to perform crash testing on the car to ensure there would be no limitations on safety with the changes that were made.

Lastly, if you have not been swayed at all by anything I have said here, perhaps you could consider it some conciliation that the profit generated from McLaren building this will help the brand to build more of the cars we do want to see from McLaren. The P12 supercar will be unveiled at Paris in September and I expect a much different reaction to that car than this one. They haven't lost their way by doing this - not one bit.

>8^)
ER
Loved to have seen it in person.......it is different. Pontoon rear arches is it motorized?.......what was different with spider MSO. any pics ;0)

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
It's not hate, I am too busy laughing at it, having a hard time typing. Eric Clapton had a vision of mixing a 512 BB with a 458, easy to understand, older Ferrari, newer Ferrari. Uh, what two McLaren cars is this monstrosity supposed to simulate? MSO should not be about doing anything a customer wants, but adding special touches to personalize the car to the specific customer. If I ran MSO and was given that design, I would hand it back to the guy and say, sorry, no way we want our name on that. Maybe try down the street.
Actually, you sound just like the defensive 458 owners on ferrarichat who got all pissy when Clapton commissioned his car. Just because Clapton wanted something original that looked like a real car instead of having a crocodile snout for a face like the standard 458. Besides, who is going to be laughing harder - you, or this owner when you pull up beside him in a Ferrari wearing leather driving gloves... :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Funny to see how much energy and creativity is put to try to find some positive points about this visual disaster.

First, i dont think it is the customer that came up with a final vision. He wanted something, the design team did an internal competition, proposed, and the client chose this. The job of franck stephenson was then to direct his team to finalise an object that suits mclaren and "mr no taste". Judging by the result, there is a big problem of comunication! The amount of mess on those front corners and rear deck shows total amateurism. It not even resolved!

Second, "it is very well build" is not an excuse at all. Anyone can do amazing finishes with money especially as in this case, the guy paid mostly for a reskin of an existing car. Pagani, in his shed somewhere in italy, or even mitsuoka, this japanese tuner from who mclaren seems to have taken its inspiration, can produce a similar level of finish

But i think the main problem with this car is that it has nothing of mclaren in it or even innovative or modern. it is like those excalibur thing : a super retro baroque design on a modern chassis.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Funny to see how much energy and creativity is put to try to find some positive points about this visual disaster.

First, i dont think it is the customer that came up with a final vision. He wanted something, the design team did an internal competition, proposed, and the client chose this. The job of franck stephenson was then to direct his team to finalise an object that suits mclaren and "mr no taste". Judging by the result, there is a big problem of comunication! The amount of mess on those front corners and rear deck shows total amateurism. It not even resolved!

Second, "it is very well build" is not an excuse at all. Anyone can do amazing finishes with money especially as in this case, the guy paid mostly for a reskin of an existing car. Pagani, in his shed somewhere in italy, or even mitsuoka, this japanese tuner from who mclaren seems to have taken its inspiration, can produce a similar level of finish

But i think the main problem with this car is that it has nothing of mclaren in it or even innovative or modern. it is like those excalibur thing : a super retro baroque design on a modern chassis.
No, what is funny is how much you type and still miss the point entirely.

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
I'm actually starting to like the X-1 especially after reading the story behind it, it is very interesting. There are some beautiful elements in it, but tbh, it's not my cup of tea. The owner should be proud having such car, it is so special! Remember It is a one-off, and other one-offs look unfinished, not well built and made from plastic. People should understand that it was not designed for the public,*it was designed exclusively for him, to suit his taste and on his liking.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

Exactly ^^^^. It is you others that are missing the point. You are waving the McLaren flag so hard, that you have lost some of your good taste. I love many cars and brands, Lambo, Ferrari, AM, Bentley, McLaren. I could care less on the story behind the design, an ugly car is just that, an ugly car.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The profit on that car needs to be given to charity!

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Exactly ^^^^. It is you others that are missing the point. You are waving the McLaren flag so hard, that you have lost some of your good taste. I love many cars and brands, Lambo, Ferrari, AM, Bentley, McLaren. I could care less on the story behind the design, an ugly car is just that, an ugly car.
I'm beginning to understand why they kicked you out of fchat. You ignore the point and just keep trolling away, post after post, after post.

You think MSO cares what you think? This guy gave them millions of dollars and got exactly what he wanted, while you moan about seat stitching, bumpers and paddles, but are too cheap to pay them for the mods.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm beginning to understand why they kicked you out of fchat. You ignore the point and just keep trolling away, post after post, after post.

You think MSO cares what you think? This guy gave them millions of dollars and got exactly what he wanted, while you moan about seat stitching, bumpers and paddles, but are too cheap to pay them for the mods.
So how many MSO mods are on your car? More personal attacks over an ugly car, lol.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
OK Guys, some perspective. These cars were funded by cash strapped auto makers

Attachments

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
So how many MSO mods are on your car? More personal attacks over an ugly car, lol.
None, but at least I admit that I'm too cheap to pay for them, instead of constantly whining that they should be standard when nobody else gives a rat's arse about my preferences.

If I was going to pay MSO millions to build me a bespoke Carbon tubbed McLaren, I know exactly what I'd want and trust me, the last person who's opinion I'd give a toss about is some guy collecting obsolete steel framed exotics, waiting until they are depreciated so he can save a few bucks. THAT is the point; this guy already has the greatest supercar ever built in the Mac F1.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Loved to have seen it in person.......it is different. Pontoon rear arches is it motorized?.......what was different with spider MSO. any pics ;0)
They are not motorized. They are held to the car with some articulating hinges at the top and then there is a catch to keep it closed at the bottom, but also I saw four or five quick-turn connectors along the very bottom edge that must be loosened in order to allow the catch to be released.

Spider MSO is painted in a vibrant metallic yellow with heavy flake - in the lights of the Gooding tent last night it was shimmering. It didn't have the new MSO bumper - apparently that wasn't ready yet when they finished this car. It did have most or all of the exterior carbon pieces on the standard option list and the Stealth Pack - those contrasting parts made it look sharp! I didn't see anything else that was specifically MSO on the car, but it was on an elevated platform and difficult to get a great view of the details, especially on the inside.

But i think the main problem with this car is that it has nothing of mclaren in it or even innovative or modern.
That's not true - it actually retains one of the most prominent visual design cues seen throughout McLaren's history which is to have a single continuous line that runs down the car from nose to tail allowing your eye to follow it from start to finish. In this case that line is accented by a band of chrome which isn't very McLaren, but certainly fits with the theme the owner wanted.

>8^)
ER

41 - 60 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.