McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It's to show other potential clients that they will do whatever they desire, exactly how they want it. This is to showcase the dedication that MSO has to its customer, and given how ugly this thing is, they totally succeed.

@Peloton25 tell me why you like this in a PM please :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
there is a reason why car companies have car designers. good car design studios will produce something nice that suits perfectly the clients taste.
the strangest thing is that mclaren even communicates on it, as if they were proud!
pininfarina/ferrari must be laughing

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
when I saw this, I thought it was another student project, often not so well executed and a bit naive. nothing surprising, they are student.
but it is not!
This is probably the ugliest car of the decade from a #real# car manufacturer. it rivals the last Bertone Nuccio concept
I dont understand how they have managed to do something so bad and far from mclaren heritage.
It doesnt even try to be something new and innovative, it is a mismatch of different ideas from different cars, with bad proportions and awful detailling (those rear lamps!!)

It is worrying because it shows that the design team doesnt know what they are doing or has no power in the company. Even if the client wants something crazy, it is their job to propose something that fits with the brand image.
There is no mclaren in this baroque and tasteless exercise.
Or maybe they desperately needed money...
Very well said. I don't see any 'McLaren' in this thing.
Not only is it un-attractive, but it's a re-hash of old ideas.
So much for the timeless elegance of the F1.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
there is a reason why car companies have car designers. good car design studios will produce something nice that suits perfectly the clients taste.
the strangest thing is that mclaren even communicates on it, as if they were proud!
Ditto about maranello laughing their f.........in ass off.......and I thought the Eric Clapton design was unattractive. Boy was I WRONG there :eek:........this X-1 takes the cake OMG:eek:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Might go down as another PR blunder by McLaren:rolleyes: They should have put a lid on this one. to top it all off, they are gonna show it at PEBBLE OMG:eek:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Proof positive that money does not buy class, brains or taste....I'm suprised Ron let that out of the building...holy cow
Plus 1000

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
"X-1 embodies the McLaren value that every part has to have a purpose," said Hong Yeo. "No details are simply visual cues, every one has a purpose. Although I like to think the wide body combined with pontoon style rear fenders will ensure the car glides when it's moving just like a superhero's cape......"
McLaren hired the kid from the movie 'BIG' :eek:

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Why so much hate for McLaren and MSO for this? The customer obviously had a very specific idea for his car and wanted it to be influenced by some past automotive designs, architecture, etc. It's not as if this is the next McLaren model or some tuner's aftermarket kit. It's one man's vision and MSO just made it happen for him. That is what MSO is all about.

Personally, I'd love to see it up close. It sounds like there are some some amazing details, materials and finishes.

21 - 40 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.