McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a post in the other thread about McLaren monitoring this forum for information and feedback on what the customer wants.

As some of these threads get a bit messy with information I thought I'd start a thread where we keep very much to the point on the things that we would like to see from McLaren. Keep it realistic ;)

This could be feedback on the cars themselves, changes you would like to see, improved Marketing is one that always seems to crop up. It's entirely up to you.

This way, if they are watching, they will be able to get a rough idea of what all of the main concerns are in one place.

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
This is a summary of things I thought of, as well as some I stole from the 650S thread, on what McLaren might want to think of as options to keeping original owners happy. In full disclosure, I'm not an owner, but I would like to be.

The original post, which has more of my opinion on what 12c prices might do over time can be found by clicking the arrow icon (link) next to my alias in the quote below...

- Give existing 12c owners steep discounts on MSO upgrades. McLaren's margins must be astronomical on that stuff, so really it should be a minimal hit financially. This would be in the same vein as the Android / Parrot update they've already done for the 12c.

- EDIT 2/20 (idea stolen from the 650S thread): Make available a low cost, multi-year warranty extension for existing 12c customers to show that McLaren will stand by the product.

- EDIT 2/20 (idea stolen from the 650S thread): Offer as many updates from the 650S as is possible to current 12c owners, understanding of course that some updates will not translate due to hardware changes.

- If an owner wants to trade over to a 650S, get him a decent deal, or better yet, offer some credit for 650S MSO upgrades... Heck, McLaren already offers discounts on MSO parts to buyers of McLaren Qualified cars.

- Expand the dealership network. This is one of the reasons they took out the loan. This expands the brand footprint, and used 12c cars could be moved over to new dealerships so no dealer has a parking lot full of used 12c cars. This also expands the number of people with access to the dealer for service without needing trucks or strangers to move the car back-and-forth.

- Limit production... Not sure how viable an option this is, but if the supply can be cut without impacting demand, prices would be more stable.

So, now I've rambled on for much longer than I planned to! The one thing I hope McLaren doesn't do is become Ferrari. Yes Ferrari are masters at brand management, and yes they make great cars, but that horse on the front means a very different thing to the average super-car-buying-Joe than the McLaren swoosh.

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled forum...

-Jamie.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I only have 2 requests. of course a free power bump would be nice as would be an expanded dealer range but for me this is more important:

1- please do not flood the US with 650s ( i am aware they cut the allocations down by 25% compared to last year but not sure its enough).

2- please do not let dealers give up huge discounts on the 650s to any first comer, at least not the first year or two, but do offer a brand loyalty program, like many other companies do.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im hoping the pedal setup in the 650 will be better than the 12C.
I find the 12C accel pedal travel is too long and distended. The 12C Brakes have too much initial grab at low driving speed.
I consider stock Porsche PCCB setup much better.

I would love to see a full Aero kit option offered. GT3 fixed rear wing / large P1 style wing setup.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Any of the software upgrades that are available on the 650 to be transferable to the 12c,given that no hardware is involved,and if hardware is needed to be made available at a reasonable charge. Remember the promise,for the small cost it will help keep hard won owners onboard for the future....

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I was Mclaren this is what I would do:-

- Write to all existing owners offering them a 20% discount on a 650s if they bought their 12c from new and agree to trade it in via the Qualified programme. People who bought their cars secondhand already bought cheaply, they don't need this one-off loyalty bonus.
- Provide all Mclaren owners, existing and future, with 7 years warranty and service as part of the ownership programme exactly like their main competitor, Ferrari. When you start adding the cost of Mclaren service and extended warranty to significant depreciation the cost of competitors cars suddenly looks more appealing and this is a real sales threat for Mclaren. At the moment this is a big, big win for Ferrari, and Mclaren should be brave enough to acknowledge and match it before Lamborghini and others get there first.
- Pass on every possible upgrade from the 650s to existing 12c owners, this new car has been brought to market too early and Mclaren need to recognise that.
- Stop immediately the production of the 12c and never start it again. Let's not mess around, the launch of the 650s has put 12c in the shadows. By making the 650s its formal replacement, existing 12c values will be bolstered if there aren't going to be any more of them. We need clarity not confusion, loathe though I am to recommend the end of 12c so soon.
- Appoint more dealers...Mclaren need wider reach and getting to far-away dealers is a pain.
- Get a new head of Sales & Marketing - strategy has been appalling and communication worse. This should be recognised and dealt with.
- Bring out the p15 before the p13 - we need a prolonged halo effect from P1 and P15 before going entry level.

On a personal note and most importantly, don't ignore the disappointment currently being expressed by many existing owners at the way Mclaren is handling itself...not on a technical level, the cars remain fantastic...but commercially. Do nothing and they'll throw away a loyal group of early adopters who will be long in memory and subsequently short in pocket. Do something meaningful, ground-breaking, generous, newsworthy & sincere and those owners who have shown loyalty will be forever grateful whereas those buyers who gave up on the brand too early will be choking on the smell of competitors' seat leather. It's an opportunity too good to miss and too important to ignore.....please be brave! Oh, and send an open letter to this forum thanking all Mclaren owners for their continued support and tell them you're listening. Nothing works better than good old fashioned straight forward thanks and honesty. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
The excessive financial penalty needs sharing , in the form of accelerated depreciation, as Mclaren and the dealers have enjoyed their margin but the early customers have taken the penalty ....... there is a lack of equity.

The issue is exascerbated by......

1. Over supply ( invoicing cars to the dealers for stock)
2. Huge discounts on 12C's which get reflected in the market ( caused by Mclaren insentivising the dealers I'm sure, it is industry practice)
3. The surprise of the 650 launch and it's effect of making the 12C second choice in the market

Mclaren and the dealer made their margin from my purchase, as I paid list price, and now want to repeat that again with the 650S but want me to take the extraordinary loss on my 12C.

So there is a lack of equity in the financial balance, ie Mclaren and the dealer have their margin and I have to fund the excessive depreciation.

Thus there should some flexibility or way of assisting early adopting 12C owners to trade up to the 650S

·
Owner
544 Posts
The excessive financial penalty needs sharing , in the form of accelerated depreciation, as Mclaren and the dealers have enjoyed their margin but the early customers have taken the penalty ....... there is a lack of equity.

The issue is exascerbated by......

1. Over supply ( invoicing cars to the dealers for stock)
2. Huge discounts on 12C's which get reflected in the market ( caused by Mclaren insentivising the dealers I'm sure, it is industry practice)
3. The surprise of the 650 launch and it's effect of making the 12C second choice in the market

Mclaren and the dealer made their margin from my purchase, as I paid list price, and now want to repeat that again with the 650S but want me to take the extraordinary loss on my 12C.

So there is a lack of equity in the financial balance, ie Mclaren and the dealer have their margin and I have to fund the excessive depreciation.

Thus there should some flexibility or way of assisting early adopting 12C owners to trade up to the 650S
Good point

The early adopters who still have their cars (and only those who have paid FULL LIST price) should be given an enhanced valuation on their cars so as to trade up to another Mclaren product - not just 650S, at the going rate. I may want a 12C Spyder for example. That way we don't feel that we have been screwed, whereas everyone else after us got a discount. After all we are the ones who made it possible for Mclaren to be here today.....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
So wait, you saying that I have nothing to do with mclaren being here today?! This is getting better and better.. Now the early adopters expect to be treated differently than other customers that bought cars new?!

Can we all slowdown a bit and think before we post?! Clearly no point in starting a war between actual customers now too?!

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Any of the software upgrades that are available on the 650 to be transferable to the 12c,given that no hardware is involved,and if hardware is needed to be made available at a reasonable charge. Remember the promise,for the small cost it will help keep hard won owners onboard for the future....

Agreed Andy, that is what I believe they should do, at a minimum.

If they want to establish themselves as world class, however, they should address as many of Supernova's points as possible.

Well said, guys.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Fab, my definition of early adopter is any customer that bought a 12C new, even if it was yesterday and even if they got a discount off MSRP.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
So wait, you saying that I have nothing to do with mclaren being here today?! This is getting better and better.. Now the early adopters expect to be treated differently than other customers that bought cars new?!

Can we all slowdown a bit and think before we post?! Clearly no point in starting a war between actual customers now too?!

I think the distinction between early adoters and others needs further explanation.

ThOse who paid list price, typically early adopters (but also some others) have taken a substantially diferent hit than those who enjoyed discounts.......keep in mind here that currently huge discounts are supported by Mclaren incentivising the dealers on registering stock cars.

So the early adopters were treated differently than 'others' thus distinction arises in my judgement.

Some of us have to rob Banks and Post Offices to buy our Mclarens.:cool:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Andy, in general I would agree with you, I just find it dangerous because it will start everyone expecting to get upgrades to whatever car.. The 650S, is a new version of the 12C. They should not make it possible to turn any 12c into a 650S, that makes no sense to me..

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Andy, in general I would agree with you, I just find it dangerous because it will start everyone expecting to get upgrades to whatever car.. The 650S, is a new version of the 12C. They should not make it possible to turn any 12c into a 650S, that makes no sense to me..

We're gonna end up going in circles again, here. It was a promise made to the first buyers. They don't have to make the promise again on future cars. They got what they needed out if the promise, but left the other side of the table hanging.

Anyway, this will go nowhere if we don't see eye to eye on the 650S being a de facto replacement.

I thought this thread was specifically to get away from the debate going on in the main thread. Can we not leave it that way?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
You are absolutely correct Fabian. It doesn't make sence at all. Do you know what cost would be involved to make a 650s out of a 12c?? I think you'll be surprised of the extra it would involve. As soon as that cost would be made public I think nobody'll take it and pay the extra for the 650 if they really want to.

As a wishlist for Mclaren I wish
- let the 650S model remain for 5 years
- that they take their responsibility if something doesn't work properly with a car ie Fix the god damned thing. Saying they can't find the problem is a no go

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quite a simple one from me but one thing I would like to see is P1 style gear shift paddles becoming the standard for all cars. A lot of people seem to opt for bigger paddles through MSO but it would be nice to see these become the norm across the range. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought this thread was specifically to get away from the debate going on in the main thread. Can we not leave it that way?
Agreed 6th.

Guys can we please keep the 650S/12C arguments in the specific thread for that topic.

This thread was designed for people to put their thoughts in writing in the hope that McLaren will see and maybe address a few of them.

Thank you for your cooperation. :D

Nick

1 - 20 of 132 Posts