McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
British brand claims Aussie buyers ripped off, so it cuts more than $100,000 of its 12C.

Formula one team-turned-sports car maker McLaren has slashed the prices on its two models and says it has done so because its rivals over charge in Australia.

McLaren Automotive issued a statement this morning claiming that the supercar market in Australia has been “historically overpriced.” The same statement went on to claim “a number of the ‘core’ manufacturers employ premium-pricing policies in this market.”

This is not the first time supercar makers have been accused of charging Australian customers more than overseas buyers.

In 2011 Lamborghini was criticised over the price of the Aventador model. At the time the company said it would review the price, yet since then the price has been increased by $6900.

Advertisement
McLaren has cut the price of the 12C coupe by $95,000, down from $493,100 to $398,000, while the 12C Spider has been reduced from $543,900 to $441,780, a saving of $102,120.

McLaren has sold only seven cars in 2013, according to the latest VFacts figures. By comparison, arch-rival Ferrari has sold 34 and Lamborghini 20 cars up until the end of April (although both Italian brands offer more than two models).

McLaren is the latest prestige brand to cut its prices. Last month Porsche slashed its range by up to $36,000 on some models.

And late last year Rolls-Royce cut up to $280,000 from some its models in Australia, claiming it was a result of the strong Australian dollar.

As for customers who’ve just bought a new McLaren, the company says it will give them a “special allowance” when they trade in their car - but only if they are upgrading to another new McLaren.

Drive has contacted McLaren for more information but has yet to receive a response.
Link: http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/mclaren-supercars-are-overpriced-20130509-2j9q9.html

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For a comparison:

2013 12C: $398,000
2013 12C Spider: $441,780

2013 Ferrari California: $459,650
2013 Ferrari 458 Italia: $526,950
2013 Ferrari 458 Spider: $590,000
2013 Ferrari FF: $625,000 (Really Ferrari??) :confused:
2013 Ferrari F12berlinetta: $691,100

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Nothing like instilling confidence in their brand in the land down under. Once again where the f..k is the marketing department, I'd be totally peeved if I owned a full price Mac from Australia, if this information is correct its a huge failure. ??

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
7 people just got fucked.

This has been happening a lot in Australia lately. Lots of companies have been lowering their prices in Australia, some even due to regulation. Adobe was getting a lot of heat over the huge difference in price between AU and every place else. For whatever reason they were just charging a ton more. Maybe it had to do with the AUD being weaker a while back and they just kept it to make a few more bucks. In any case, I foresee more price correction in AU market goods in the near future.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Owner
893 Posts
Nothing like instilling confidence in their brand in the land down under. Once again where the f..k is the marketing department, I'd be totally peeved if I owned a full price Mac from Australia, if this information is correct its a huge failure. ??
Their marketing people keep shooting themselves in the foot !

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I don't think this is bad news. Porsche did the same in Australia apparently and they did here in Canada, too, a few years back. In Canada, we have always paid a premium vs the US, with dealers and manufacturers giving all kinds of reasons (smaller market, rules & regs, legislation, yada, yada). It's difficult to know the truth, but the relative price vs US was one of the key criteria I told my dealer rep before buying the 12C, they had to come in at a reasonable premium or else I wouldn't stay on the list. Thankfully they did, but there is still a premium nonetheless, which is very annoying since our dollar has been virtually par with USD for years, sometimes even above. When Porsche cut prices across the board here a few years back, they said it was b/c of the strong Canadian dollar and they were very public about it. I think as customers we should encourage this. Sure, 7 guys paid a higher price - maybe Mac should compensate them. I doubt Porsche compensated anybody tho.

It doesn't appear that exotics of any brand are flying off the shelves in Aus, so maybe Porsche, Rolls Royce and Mac are simply the first movers. If this was a worldwide slashing of MSRP while no other manufacturers did it, then I would be alarmed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand McLaren spoke to every existing customer prior to the announcement before agreeing that existing owners would have the ability to receive the "rebate" when they traded in for a new McLaren vehicle.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I understand McLaren spoke to every existing customer prior to the announcement before agreeing that existing owners would have the ability to receive the "rebate" when they traded in for a new McLaren vehicle.
Well tommi if that's what McLaren is willing to do I would be okay with that, although there could be some potential problems with that arrangement. I hope that it all works out for you guys in the land down under and your future Mac purchases. Cheers....??

·
Registered
499 Posts
The issue I have is McLaren is, as McLaren explains it, they need to lower their price now because everyone else's price is too high???

That would only make sense at the time they initially introduced the car, not a year later.

Blame the exchange rates if you need to blame anything, but don't blame the competition.

Really pathetic corporation communications.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Since people's perception of "value" is determined by a variety of factors, the big ones that comes to my mind would be: brand, performance, exterior/interior design (or just looks) and engineering. Here in the US, Mclaren is having a hard time fighting Ferrari and Lamborghini when it comes to brand image and the perception that comes with it.

I have overheard people at cars and coffee asking one another if the red MP4-12C is a new type of Ferrari?! While some people on this board would argue otherwise, I personally think the MP4-12C was a bit overpriced with its MSRP compared to the 458. With the steep discount that dealers are giving on the remaining 2012 cars, I think the car is now a great value. Do I think my 12C is worth 35K more than my SLS? Without a doubt! Is the 12C worth 87K more than my SLS (msrp vs. msrp), then my answer would be NO!

Going forward with the 2013 models and beyond, Mclaren needs to be careful of not oversupplying the market with cars. I hope they get it right with the P1 and the P13. Otherwise, it might be LOTUS all over again!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't think this is bad news. Porsche did the same in Australia apparently and they did here in Canada, too, a few years back. In Canada, we have always paid a premium vs the US, with dealers and manufacturers giving all kinds of reasons (smaller market, rules & regs, legislation, yada, yada). It's difficult to know the truth, but the relative price vs US was one of the key criteria I told my dealer rep before buying the 12C, they had to come in at a reasonable premium or else I wouldn't stay on the list. Thankfully they did, but there is still a premium nonetheless, which is very annoying since our dollar has been virtually par with USD for years, sometimes even above. When Porsche cut prices across the board here a few years back, they said it was b/c of the strong Canadian dollar and they were very public about it. I think as customers we should encourage this. Sure, 7 guys paid a higher price - maybe Mac should compensate them. I doubt Porsche compensated anybody tho.

It doesn't appear that exotics of any brand are flying off the shelves in Aus, so maybe Porsche, Rolls Royce and Mac are simply the first movers. If this was a worldwide slashing of MSRP while no other manufacturers did it, then I would be alarmed.

Tell me about it haha. I am one of those customers Porsche screwed over with price cut. I had one of the first 997 Turbo delivered and the very next model year they slashed the price by 20k. And no they didn't compensate me other than initing me to a couple of all expense paid World Roadshows.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Well I see even Ferrari is cutting production by 4%, so there you have it. I do love how Luca is saying it is to increase exclusivity. What a piece of work that guy is; it's like bullish!t is entwined into his DNA.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Since people's perception of "value" is determined by a variety of factors, the big ones that comes to my mind would be: brand, performance, exterior/interior design (or just looks) and engineering. Here in the US, Mclaren is having a hard time fighting Ferrari and Lamborghini when it comes to brand image and the perception that comes with it.

I have overheard people at cars and coffee asking one another if the red MP4-12C is a new type of Ferrari?! While some people on this board would argue otherwise, I personally think the MP4-12C was a bit overpriced with its MSRP compared to the 458. With the steep discount that dealers are giving on the remaining 2012 cars, I think the car is now a great value. Do I think my 12C is worth 35K more than my SLS? Without a doubt! Is the 12C worth 87K more than my SLS (msrp vs. msrp), then my answer would be NO!

Going forward with the 2013 models and beyond, Mclaren needs to be careful of not oversupplying the market with cars. I hope they get it right with the P1 and the P13. Otherwise, it might be LOTUS all over again!
2012 was a tough economy to launch a car against the worlds top brand.

458 was a huge hit for Ferrari and Mclaren still beat them in every single way.

Forget about the price for a moment - you are part of one of the greatest racing names that produced an insane road car with far better tech and to boot a cf tub.

Dual dealers with Mclaren and Ferrari didn't care what their customer ordered - I see this as Mclarens only mistake. More markets with better dealers would have been a game changer - IMO

·
Registered
307 Posts
Im waiting to see the upcoming 12C-GT model, which Im told is coming this year.
Howz your car?
Loving it. 6,000km and feels like it is getting faster with the miles. I find excuses to drive it at every opportunity. It's a very impressive car and fantastic value at the revised price.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Australia is a small market for exotics. i think they have a 20% tax and the price looks on the high side before it was reduced. However i think it's stupid of them to reduce the price. They are not going to sell a load more and it does not do the brand any favours with the price reduction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts