McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or are these guys single handedly destroying the resale prices on the 12C. I frequent Ferrari Chat and they seem to always use the Indicator of this Dealership on how bad the resale is on 12Cs. I noticed that they are always at the bottom of the barrel, advertising a 12C Spider with under 400 miles for $245K and Coupes at $187K.

This is a prime example of how they are not only destroying the early adopters of the 12C both Coupe and Convertible, but affecting the purchases of a new 12C, hey why pay $300K for a New Spider when I can pay $245K on a 381 Mile Car?

This is what I mean about McLaren USA needing to step in and put a muzzle on these guys, you never see Ferrari doing these things. My fear is of McLaren becoming a Lotus by having a Dealer like this constantly being the bottom of the Barrel. I know they are a Sponsor on here, but their advertised prices really are damaging the brand.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I love them. Great service. Great folks. There is a premium to pay new. I passed on a car with 300miles from them to get a brand new one. And I'm not sure why a place that offers cars for a good price is somehow a bad thing. They are likely pricing things out to maximize their profit.

Perhaps there is a glut of cars that they are getting, likely on folks trading up, and it's a regional market effect they're dealing with. I suspect they're one of the highest volume dealers.

Anyway, I'm biased on this as I've had a super great experience with them. YMMV.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Honestly, I think this forum pretty much does it's own share of damage. High percentage of threads are complaints or issues about one thing or another. So can't really single out one dealer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seriously??? Senna, i have to disagree with you. Yes, I know that the resale sucks, we've all seen it firsthand. But, I really can't complain about Mclaren Philadelphia for doing this. They are amazing to their customers. They have treated me like family from day 2 (I didn't buy my car there-I wanted azure blue)
And they are super incredibly nice people, I actually just bought another brand of car through THEM, only because of how well they have treated me.
We cannot fault them for lowering the prices, if they don't, someone else will. I agree with jkheit that I'm not sure why a place that offers cars for a better price is a bad thing.
I personally think the ferrari dealers are scumbags. Any dealer(s) that sells a car that is USED for more than a new one, are as$ holes in my opinion.
I think there should be more talk about the way they gouge and rip people off, but that's another story.
Senna, I know that you have an F car, and I respect that, I'm not bashing it, but I would never try to deal with those pompous ass dealers again Edison, New Jersey comes to mind.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I think some of it might have to do with location as well... I'm in New Hampshire and if I list the McLarens available by distance via cars.com, many of the cars for sale in and near New England have been available for quite a while.

Miller (in CT) and McLaren Philly seem to have cleared out as lot of their pre-owned inventory over the last few months. Who knows what was really paid but it wouldn't surprise me if it was below the advertised price... Winter up here isn't really a great time to try and sell a high end rear wheel drive supercar :D so it wouldn't surprise me if both McLaren Greenwich and Philly are trying to clear inventory before the snow starts to stick.

-Jamie.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I love them. Great service. Great folks. There is a premium to pay new. I passed on a car with 300miles from them to get a brand new one. And I'm not sure why a place that offers cars for a good price is somehow a bad thing. They are likely pricing things out to maximize their profit.

Perhaps there is a glut of cars that they are getting, likely on folks trading up, and it's a regional market effect they're dealing with. I suspect they're one of the highest volume dealers.

Anyway, I'm biased on this as I've had a super great experience with them. YMMV.
I second this! I bought new from them (it will be twice on Monday when my 50th Anniversary 12C Spider arrives!) and they've been awesome to deal with.

I have no qualms with their used car pricing. I hope they sell them all and they go to happy customers who enjoy the McLaren experience like I have. They'll soon have my flawless Fire Black 2013 spider (with about 2,400 very satisfying, happy, miles) on that list and whoever gets it is going to love it like I have.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Senna, I know that you have an F car, and I respect that, I'm not bashing it, but I would never try to deal with those pompous ass dealers again Edison, New Jersey comes to mind.
hey blue. I still have a place in Edison. Are you from the area? Is there an f dealer in Edison? I dealt with the one in manhattan. Awful. I actually went to McLaren Phili as they had a new 458 that I though I was going to ge itt from them simply to not deal with the f dealers. Test driving the Mac somewhat changed my plans, but that's another story

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is it me or are these guys single handedly destroying the resale prices on the 12C. I frequent Ferrari Chat and they seem to always use the Indicator of this Dealership on how bad the resale is on 12Cs. I noticed that they are always at the bottom of the barrel, advertising a 12C Spider with under 400 miles for $245K and Coupes at $187K.

This is a prime example of how they are not only destroying the early adopters of the 12C both Coupe and Convertible, but affecting the purchases of a new 12C, hey why pay $300K for a New Spider when I can pay $245K on a 381 Mile Car?

This is what I mean about McLaren USA needing to step in and put a muzzle on these guys, you never see Ferrari doing these things. My fear is of McLaren becoming a Lotus by having a Dealer like this constantly being the bottom of the Barrel. I know they are a Sponsor on here, but their advertised prices really are damaging the brand.

i read what all the others said and i still agree with you 100%, I think its pure BS to rip off the guy who just traded in that spider, to sell it cheap because they need to sell it quickly. How many ferrari dealers would do that to a brand new 458 spider with this low mileage?. none.
Also, it has to do with location, maybe those guys dont have an active market, try to buy a 2013 spider with this mileage at this price in socal.
this forum has nothing to do with depreciation of the cars whatever people post here, its purely the dealers who decide how much to pay for one on trade and how much to sell it for and the example above makes me very mad. The car is worth every dime and its a shame that some dealers just want to get rid of them at any price.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
aahtt, not sure why it's a ripoff. If you don't like the price they offer you, you're free to sell your car on the open market, at auction, on ebay, craigslist, whatever. I doubt all the shrinking violets buying 12Cs are easily duped and/or incapable of feeling out what the going rate is for their cars.

Also, I find it weird that anyone thinks that McLaren Phili would act in anyway that doesn't include maximizing profit. They're dealing with whatever local/regional supply/demand curve that is at play here, and I'm sure would both pay more, and sell for more to maximize their profits, if that were sustainable. Not sure it's fair to lay the blame on them for the deprecation issues without having to walk in their shoes on what it takes to run a successful business in the area.

And from everything I've seen, they run an amazingly good business. I can't say enough good things about them. Apologies for beating a dead horse here, but after having been the absolute best experience I've ever had buying a car, and their folks having treated me so well (despite my being an enormous and annoying pain in the ass), it's tough for me to see them being put down.

Sorry, I'll try to restrain my fervor as I feel the issues you are raising are fair issues (despite my feeling that the blame is unfairly being leveled at McLaren Phili).

·
Registered
230 Posts
aahtt, not sure why it's a ripoff. If you don't like the price they offer you, you're free to sell your car on the open market, at auction, on ebay, craigslist, whatever. I doubt all the shrinking violets buying 12Cs are easily duped and/or incapable of feeling out what the going rate is for their cars.

Also, I find it weird that anyone thinks that McLaren Phili would act in anyway that doesn't include maximizing profit. They're dealing with whatever local/regional supply/demand curve that is at play here, and I'm sure would both pay more, and sell for more to maximize their profits, if that were sustainable. Not sure it's fair to lay the blame on them for the deprecation issues without having to walk in their shoes on what it takes to run a successful business in the area.

And from everything I've seen, they run an amazingly good business. I can't say enough good things about them. Apologies for beating a dead horse here, but after having been the absolute best experience I've ever had buying a car, and their folks having treated me so well (despite my being an enormous and annoying pain in the ass), it's tough for me to see them being put down.

Sorry, I'll try to restrain my fervor as I feel the issues you are raising are fair issues (despite my feeling that the blame is unfairly being leveled at McLaren Phili).

i understand completely but this has nothing to do with how great the service or sales are at the dealership. how much do you estimate the original owner was offered so that they can price it at 245k? was he offered 225k? 235k? how would you feel when you buy a 280-300k spider and drive it 400 miles then trade it in and get 225k for it the same year? if thats not a ripoff i dont know what is, im sorry but thats how i feel about this and i have nothing against this particular dealer, im just agreeing with the OP that yes dealers can manipulate pricing and directly affect depreciation more than anything else, thats all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
McLaren Philly has been the best dealership that I have ever dealt with. When I contemplated a 458, I dreaded the idea of dealing with the Ferrari dealership which is 2 miles from my house. It made me sick to think about getting permission to buy a car. The guys at Philly have made me feel like family and everything is very relaxed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts