McLaren Life banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the factory made a "factory mistake" and upon delivery neglected to supply the mains cable, surely they would have rectified their mistake by sending the cable afterwards, in which case it should now be available with the charger, should it not?

Beyond that, your cost estimate of "around GBP20,000" is laughably high. Below is a grab from the official options price list.

Perhaps you should try another car forum, as I doubt that your pitch will get you very far on this one.
GBP 4,100 can't be right. Are you sure this is for the p1 and not the regular series Mclaren?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It’s 100% right.. that’s what they were new.
I get conflicting arguments with pricing, I'm pretty sure the confusion surrounds ordered as supplementary with the vehicle, and as an aftersales purchase. If dealer A and dealer B in the Middle East both quote the same prices via their aftersales network, and I used to work at one of the dealers, I would figure this to be the case.

Working with Lamborghini, ordering say, a carbon pack on vehicle order versus aftersales would in some cases triple the price, despite being the exact same item.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I get conflicting arguments with pricing, I'm pretty sure the confusion surrounds ordered as supplementary with the vehicle, and as an aftersales purchase. If dealer A and dealer B in the Middle East both quote the same prices via their aftersales network, and I used to work at one of the dealers, I would figure this to be the case.

Working with Lamborghini, ordering say, a carbon pack on vehicle order versus aftersales would in some cases triple the price, despite being the exact same item.
quite possibly true... doens’t change that fact that as an owner you could buy them must more cheaply previously..

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
GBP 4,100 can't be right. Are you sure this is for the p1 and not the regular series Mclaren?
I think I even posted on here the section of my invoice showing the original price. I guarantee you it was £4,100.

The other thing I would say is that, before buying a P1 charger in the secondary market, one really ought to make sure it is working properly. I know of more than one P1 charger that was bought from the factory as a spare, kept unused for some time, and when finally connected did not work properly. I don't know what is the inherent weakness in these chargers, but it would be a mistake for anyone to presume that they are as reliable as a new pack of Duracell rechargeables bought at the supermarket.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Agreed, it's an unfortunate truth and I don't understand the logic behind the pricing disparity between order form and aftersales. And yes, apparently even new units that have laid around unused have seemed to get the red light of death as one of the original ones I sold in 2018 did, whereas some seem to start working fine again by their own volition as the previous inquirer of this current unit apparently found, the voodoo cabling Mclaren's suppliers are using for the chargers must be temperamental 🤷‍♀️

21 - 27 of 27 Posts