McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This McLaren was brought in for a full paint correction. McLarens and other exotics come from the factory with sanding scratches, swirls, and other defects that need some attention to make the car perfect as it should be but never is. After the car was corrected a glass coating was applied to give it the clarity and a very long last protection against swirls, etching, and water spots.

Enjoy the photos.

Befores

Wing Removed To Polish Underneath

Megs M100 Was Used For Compounding

Correcting

Smaller Rupes Tool Was Utilized For The Harder To Get Areas

Final Shots

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I took delivery of my DB9, the quality of the paint finish was absolutely a work of art. When I saw the quality of the Mclaren's finish at the same dealer, I couldn't believe the numerous scratches and the poor quality of the paint in general. Any of you who saw the 12c at the Chicago Auto Show could attest to this. I get a kick out of the fact that supposedly Ron or whoever is anal about the factory being spotless. Unless he puts his money where his mouth is, regarding his quarter million dollar cars, this company will be history in very short order.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
When I took delivery of my DB9, the quality of the paint finish was absolutely a work of art. When I saw the quality of the Mclaren's finish at the same dealer, I couldn't believe the numerous scratches and the poor quality of the paint in general. Any of you who saw the 12c at the Chicago Auto Show could attest to this. I get a kick out of the fact that supposedly Ron or whoever is anal about the factory being spotless. Unless he puts his money where his mouth is, regarding his quarter million dollar cars, this company will be history in very short order.
Why, because Aston figured out that flawless paint work is the key to rude financial health? (snicker snicker) ;)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
yeah the irony of the Italian job on aston is not lost on anyone ....
I would like to think that they're doing something about the paint work.... having to spend a bunch of money after delivery is kinda irritating... I had to do it too, don't regret it of course, cos it looks fabulous...
at least they know there's a problem, just slightly surprised over a year of production and they don't yet have a solution.. even if it's to have dedicated finishers at delivery to give it 'ron's perfect shine'...

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I do not believe they leave the factory with paint like that, they are machine polished and detailed before they are sent off as part of quality control, those marks stick out like a sore thumb! some plonk must had wiped any excess dust off with a crappy towel cloth or something after delivery

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I do not believe they leave the factory with paint like that, they are machine polished and detailed before they are sent off as part of quality control, those marks stick out like a sore thumb! some plonk must had wiped any excess dust off with a crappy towel cloth or something after delivery
interesting... London for sure were telling the factory that the cars needed to arrive in better shape at the dealers... so that implies the factory is at fault?

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
interesting... London for sure were telling the factory that the cars needed to arrive in better shape at the dealers... so that implies the factory is at fault?
hmm quality control could be slipping, but its very unlike McLaren, however if the cars came like the pictures shown above its unacceptable by all means, but that should never had passed quality control anyway, the door is horrendously swirled! it looks more like a dirty wash result

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
New cars are never as polished as a car after that kind of treatment by a detailing professional.

Jimmy,
Nice work on the car.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I think a lot of these paint issues come from handling of the cars after they left the factory. Lamborghini ships their cars in a large protective bag and Ferrari traditionally uses plastic wrapping - maybe McLaren needs to consider a similar solution?

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most people don't notice everything that is wrong with a brand new car. A lot of my clients are blown away when I show them the factory flaws. Aston Martin, Mclaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Bugatti's to name a few come from the factory with sanding scratches, holograms, and minor swirling. The McLaren above was mostly because of improper washing/detailing from the dealership as most dealerships don't have the right products or know the proper technique on how to not put these issues in these exotics. I received a Lamborghini Superleggera a while back that had 15 miles on it and it literally took me 115 hours to make perfect part of it was the dealerships fault but the other half was from the factory if I posted all of the pictures from before to after you guys wouldn't believe what you were looking at!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts