McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Send it to McLaren PR, come on get off your ASS McLaren & do your job ! ! !
WHY ARE WE DOING YOUR JOB, IF YOU WORKED FOR ME I WOULD KICK YOUR ASS BIG TIME ! ! !
NOW DO SOME THING !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice - I wonder how much more there is to it apart from using launch control and just smashing the loud pedal?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Very impressive although there is clearly a ton of rubber on that strip. The surface must have hooked the with the p zeros perfectly. I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that Corsas would have made any difference. Still a great run, though!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Frankly, I don't mind there is a bit of a mystery over the actual numbers. I visited a tuning shop with an Aventador a GT2 RS and a 12C last week. The engineer told me point blank that the 12C was the fastest car out of the box. It may be that they want to clearly establish the P1 in terms of it's place in the universe just in case there isn't a million dollar difference on paper. That way they can be a little more conservative with the 12C in press. I still have a hard time believing that the Nurburgring time isn't faster. In fact, I don't believe that there is an official time since the upgrade. I have a feeling that once the P1 lays down it's low number you will see an updated 12C come in 10 seconds behind.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
The article stated that there still was considerable wheelspin and suggested that 10.40's were possible.
I read that but assumed they were talking about drag radials. My point is that that strip is obviously treated and coated in lots of rubber for the full length, maybe because they recently had some competition drag events there? My understanding is that tire compound and temp, among other things, must be ideal for the car to hook and, in this case, conditions must have been perfect for the car to run that fast, especially since DA was pretty much SL. I'm no drag expert, but I do know that, in many cases, road cars clock their best accel times with some wheel spin, most likely because the engine and turbos don't get bogged down.

All this to say, no 12C is going to run 10.5 or 10.4 on a public road or even an asphalt airstrip. You need a treated drag strip to replicate this performance. But as I said its still a very impressive result.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Frankly, I don't mind there is a bit of a mystery over the actual numbers. I visited a tuning shop with an Aventador a GT2 RS and a 12C last week. The engineer told me point blank that the 12C was the fastest car out of the box. It may be that they want to clearly establish the P1 in terms of it's place in the universe just in case there isn't a million dollar difference on paper. That way they can be a little more conservative with the 12C in press. I still have a hard time believing that the Nurburgring time isn't faster. In fact, I don't believe that there is an official time since the upgrade. I have a feeling that once the P1 lays down it's low number you will see an updated 12C come in 10 seconds behind.
The guys on the Geneva stand told me chris goodwin was regularly putiing in 7.24,s during development,this was the original car,so the 10.2 could be quite a bit faster.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I read that but assumed they were talking about drag radials. My point is that that strip is obviously treated and coated in lots of rubber for the full length, maybe because they recently had some competition drag events there? My understanding is that tire compound and temp, among other things, must be ideal for the car to hook and, in this case, conditions must have been perfect for the car to run that fast, especially since DA was pretty much SL. I'm no drag expert, but I do know that, in many cases, road cars clock their best accel times with some wheel spin, most likely because the engine and turbos don't get bogged down.

All this to say, no 12C is going to run 10.5 or 10.4 on a public road or even an asphalt airstrip. You need a treated drag strip to replicate this performance. But as I said its still a very impressive result.
This is nothing new, but no other stock car aside from the Veyron runs a time this quick on a dragstrip.

·
Registered
260 Posts
In which case, it would make one wonder how fast a 12C with 100bhp more power, 100 kgs less weight and 600 kgs of down force, would lap the Nurburgring? If you catch my drift ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Send it to McLaren <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym>, come on get off your ASS McLaren & do your job ! ! !
WHY ARE WE DOING YOUR JOB, IF YOU WORKED FOR ME I WOULD KICK YOUR ASS BIG TIME ! ! !
NOW DO SOME THING !!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Holy Smokes (and we all know where that comes from the last few days). A 3.8 liter rocket ship. That time and speed are just astounding. And it has a boot and you can drive it to work.

Just remarkable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts