McLaren Life banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, what I'm gathering is mechanically these cars are fairly bullet proof. Other than gearbox seals on some cars and the IRIS 1, these are great and reliable cars. Am I correct?

Do we have any idea what % of cars seem to have the gearbox problem? Also, what exactly are the IRIS issues, and do all 1's have them?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, what I'm gathering is mechanically these cars are fairly bullet proof. Other than gearbox seals on some cars and the IRIS 1, these are great and reliable cars. Am I correct?

Do we have any idea what % of cars seem to have the gearbox problem? Also, what exactly are the IRIS issues, and do all 1's have them?

Thanks.
Most of the 12c cars out there have been mechanically pretty solid. I suppose the caveat there is that the sample is really with cars owned by McLife members though even if you hop to other forums the main complaints seem to be about IRIS or electronics.

I don't think we really know a % on gearbox failures but that also seems very low. I'm pretty sure we have less than 10 reported cases of it here on McLife. The main reason I mentioned it is (1) It's a catastrophic failure and (2) It's a pretty expensive repair bill should it happen to you outside of warranty.

With IRIS, the issues that caused the most heartache were all software related and more recent versions seem to have made that better for most people. The unit itself doesn't seem to have nearly as much memory as it should so many of the non-software issues seem to be with things taking longer than they should to come up.

If you were to buy a 12c I'd recommend extending the warranty even if it only buys you peace of mind. There's a thread going on in the 12c section about that. The IRIS software is updated with service visits so that part may be a bit less of a concern now that the software seems generally better.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
806 Posts
People make way too big a fuss over the IRIS stuff. I daily drive my 12C and IRIS 1 is fine. The Bluetooth integration sucks, you cannot stream music over it. But why would you want to talk on the phone anyway? Driving is my time, no phone calls allowed. The Nav on your phone is always going to be better than any car-based nav anyway.

The stereo system itself is excellent, and as long as you feed it high-quality source material (uncompressed music files stored on a small USB drive in the center storage compartment is definitely the way to go) it's a great system. If you try to feed it compressed, lossy source material it will sound like shit.

If you're looking for a used 12C I'd focus on the condition / color / options and not concern yourself with IRIS 1 vs. IRIS 2. You can always pay to upgrade from IRIS 1 to 2, but I never thought it was close to being worth it.

There have been only a handful (10?) gearbox failures mentioned on this forum, and those have mostly been low-mileage cars that didn't get enough use. When the car sits, the seals can dry out and fail.

In general, don't shy away from a car just because it has high mileage. These cars like being used. I bought mine with 11K on it and it has been basically trouble-free for over two years and another 14K miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
People make way too big a fuss over the IRIS stuff. I daily drive my 12C and IRIS 1 is fine. The Bluetooth integration sucks, you cannot stream music over it. But why would you want to talk on the phone anyway? Driving is my time, no phone calls allowed. The Nav on your phone is always going to be better than any car-based nav anyway.

The stereo system itself is excellent, and as long as you feed it high-quality source material (uncompressed music files stored on a small USB drive in the center storage compartment is definitely the way to go) it's a great system. If you try to feed it compressed, lossy source material it will sound like shit.

If you're looking for a used 12C I'd focus on the condition / color / options and not concern yourself with IRIS 1 vs. IRIS 2. You can always pay to upgrade from IRIS 1 to 2, but I never thought it was close to being worth it.

There have been only a handful (10?) gearbox failures mentioned on this forum, and those have mostly been low-mileage cars that didn't get enough use. When the car sits, the seals can dry out and fail.

In general, don't shy away from a car just because it has high mileage. These cars like being used. I bought mine with 11K on it and it has been basically trouble-free for over two years and another 14K miles.
Radio issues have never been a problem for me. Hell, I daily drove and F40 with no radio and a Challenge Stradale with the pathetic $2500 'Hi-fi' option. For me it's about the driving.

I produce a newsletter for our car community in Arizona and when the 12C came out the dealer gave me one to evaluate and write about. I thought it was brilliant, but I figured I'd wait a bit until some of the bugs surfaced and got sorted. If the software on the radio is the deal breaker in a car like this, maybe you should be BMW shopping! :) I don't think I turned the radio on when I evaluated the 12C.

It sounds like the gearbox challenges are few and far between. Probably allot less that the 996/997 IMS problem. I know someone that bought a California from a Ferrari dealer and 2 weeks later the gearbox gave up the ghost to the tune of $35K and Ferrari (in perfect character) told him to get stuffed. He found a gearbox from a wreck for $10K and of course it wouldn't work until it had a magic wand waved over it by Ferrari's proprietary computer to mate everything together. I think there was an obscene charge for 30 mins on that computer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Medin, I know your post was late last year but I was wondering if you were still looking for a car? If so I may be able to help

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,125 Posts
List of Common 12C/625C/650C problems and issues to have checked/fixed before buying

I've moved this list from here (http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/56281-asking-dealer-fix-all-known-issues.html#post1153249) to this buyer's guide thread as it makes more sense here.

I'm trying to list these from most common to least. Most if not all of these should have been taken care of under warranty for most owners. Here's a first cut; hopefully a good starting point. If I got anything wrong or we need to add more, I we can adjust over time:

More common
  • Horn assembly replacement. Your horn may not work too great, not sure if this had to do with the airbag as well. Most cars had this replaced under warranty and maybe without the owner noticing as part of their service.
  • Door misadjusted. Owners experience either that the doors allow in wind noise or require slamming to close. This is particularly so for 2012, by 2014, the doors seem to close fine. Dealer can adjust this, but it’s a super fine balancing act between wind noise or slamming the door (you may have to pick your poison). One solution is to get the soft close door option.
  • Windshield seal flapping loose. Other seals on trunk and window might come up, but less frequently.
  • HVAC LCD Panels going dim. (Permanent fix replacement part came out late 2015)
  • Turbo hose clamps go undone. Get engine warning, maybe limp mode. (Campaign came out to replace these around 201X)
  • Headlight/taillight fogging. Headlights considered aesthetic and not covered by warranty unless you beg/plead. (Taillight permeant fix available as of late 2015). Headlight issues limited to 12C as this was solved with 625/650. Taillights apply to both.
  • IRIS touch screen non-responsive. You find part of the screen or all of it requires smearing of your finger to register touches or won’t register at all. Requires replacement.
  • Hyperactive passenger seat seatbelt sensor. If you put something light and warm on the passenger seat, like a phone, the seatbelt sensor will go off. No known fix (other than put your phone on a jacket on the seat, or put your phone somewhere else). Some have said that an upcoming software update might fix this. Others report a replacement mat for the sensor can make it work better.
  • Center speaker grill fogging windshield. You get fogging from the air conditioner on your windshield coming from the center speaker grill. Dealers usually put in a foam or like insert to block it and prevent the fogging.
  • Intake Sound Generator (ISG) dying/drying out. This happens over time and is considered wear/tear. It's possible to have this plugged up to avoid it in the future.
  • Water inside doors after rain. This usually just drains after rainy drive, but make sure you don't hear water sloshing around beyond a rain day.
  • Key FOB not found. Most commonly happens when battery in the key FOB is growing weak. Put the key on the little ledge behind the center console in front of the cup holders for it to be found. If it still doesn't work, take the key FOB away from the car while the car is off for 20 minutes, and come back and try again; make sure you have no laptops/cellphones/other key fobs around the car or key fob as they may be interfering. In some cases, the key FOB itself may be messed up and mclaren may replace them. In rare cases, a transmitter/receiver for the key FOB in the car may be messed up and mclaren may need to replace it.
  • Torn/broken tyre/tire spoilers and guide vanes. These little aero bits of plastic on the under carriage of your car. The tyre spoilers are in front of the front tires, and often get ripped off when going over speed bumps and such. The guide vanes direct air out under the car and are behind the front wheels, the tend to 'crunch' and break when going over speed bumps too. Luckily these parts are cheap to replace (around $85). One thing to note, is when you break off the tyre spoilers going slow, sometimes they can tear what is called as the 'floor' under the front lip. That floor costs around $1200 to replace, which is a huge bummer. Some have reported putting on tyre spoilers from the 650s reduces the scraping and breakage. Not clear that the 650s aero bits work the same. Then again, from what I heard, the tyre spoilers really don't do much until you get over 165mph.
Not too common
  • Windshield stress fracture. Earlier models may have had a windshield that wasn't perfectly set, and a stress fracture can develop from the top of the glass down. Most of these were replaced under warranty.
  • Suspension failure PCC. Most times this is a sensor fault and just turning the car on/off (sometimes for 30 minutes) will clear the error. Sometimes it’s a failed sensor. More rarely, or perhaps with more useage/miles, there is some fluid coming out of the system, hydraulic leaks with sometimes failed accumulators, and it needs to be repaired/replaced. The ride in 'normal' may feel lest soft if this is happening, and such a fix is covered by warranty.
  • Paint bubbling around rear pillars. Small batch of 2012s had this, most affected should have been fixed under warranty by now.
  • Door/Trunk/Window seals dry rotting. Self explanatory.
  • Mesh grill rusting. intakes and by the rear pillars, the metal mesh can rust. Needs to be repainted.
  • Coolant leaks. Drops that progressively turn into puddles. Needs better cap and clamp replacement.
  • Rusted bolts and water in wing and brake discs. The bolts by the wing and/or brake assembly can get rusty in the right environment. They need to be replaced.
  • Wheel liners felt develops hole. Some people report wheel liner felt wearing through when they put on non-manufacturer specified tires (e.g., Michelin Pilot Cup 2s) and when they track their car; this becomes part of the expense for using non-standard tires and tracking and spacers are understood to lesson/eliminate this issue. Some more rarely account wheel liners falling when driving in rain; the dealer should fix this under warranty.
  • Water pump/assembly. May leak. Requires replacement.
Somewhat rare
  • Gas lid release breaks. Infrequent, but horrendous when it happens. Check it.
  • Rim clear coat peeling. on OEM rims, patches coming off
  • Paint defects. Fading on roof and doors
  • Caliper paint dulling. This may be due to wear and tear, but paint can dull/rub off.
  • Transmission dies. You see oil leaks, and or get a transmission error. Often, but not always, happens to cars not frequently driven and experience dry seals.
  • Cylinder head defect. Coolant from a bad hose clamp leaks on to the motor and eventually damages the cylinder head. Likely requires new engine.
  • Motor mount. Bolt loosened over time needs to be adjusted
Annual Service Costs (vary by market/region, and below are the rough averages)
  • 1st year. About $1500US.
  • 2nd year. About $2500US.
  • 3rd year. About $2000US.
  • 4th+ year. <acronym title="To be discussed"><acronym title="To be discussed"><acronym title="To be discussed">TBD</acronym></acronym></acronym>
Posts about Warranty
PDF of Warranty
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/36737-mclaren-extended-warranty.html#post794625

Thread on pricing
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/42322-mclaren-extended-warranty-pricing.html#post1052329

Thread on differences between three different types of available warranties: (1) Factory Warranty, (2) Qualified/Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) Warranty, and (3) Extended Warranty
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/41706-tips-purchasing-out-state.html#post888578

Thread on availability of up to ~12yr duration of extended warranty
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mp4-12c/62722-10-years-warranty.html#post1250826

Posts about Warranty

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could someone post a list of options available on the 12c?
Other than the IRIS 2 upgrade and alcantara interior inserts.
Thank you!

·
Registered
756 Posts
A great list, thanks for centralising it.

I had the turbo clamp loose on my My16 make.. funny thought it would have been fixed.

Oh maybe we could add the fuel lid mechanism issue, sometimes mine doesn't unlock

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am in serious consideration to buy a 12c. Just wondering if there is a list that will show what options come with the purchase. Is there a cert or manual inserts showing what comes with the car as options? Thks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In spite of the fact that it was distinctly underway for a long time, the 2013-2014 models are ideal for buy with a deterioration bend that is going the correct way for purchasers in the market for one at this point. With an IRIS electronic framework update coming standard after 2013 to fix bugs from the past 2012 glitches, there are less mechanical mistakes. The 2013-2014 models likewise give you the alternative to go for the creepy crawly, which would turn out to be progressively ideal for individuals looking for an increasingly loosened up driving experience without yielding the force. While the 650S and 675LT are the "better than ever" versions of the MP4-12C, they are still generally new and not yet hitting mass deterioration yet that could change now with the recently discharged 570S and destined to be seen (and enthusiastically envisioned) 720S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
McLaren MP4-12C Buyers Guide and Review:

An oldie but a goodie meets a visit from what's to come. McLaren Automotive has been around since 1963, changing the Italians favor for sports and extravagance autos, making them in house the British way. Starting with race vehicles for Formula One dashing, McLaren before long bounced into the Exotic/Super Car game with it's MP4-12C.

With the completed item revealed from the get-go in 2009, the main models weren't discharged until mid-2011, making the 2012 McLaren MP4-12C the principal creation vehicle structured and fabricated completely by McLaren since the first historically speaking carbon fiber street vehicle, the 1993 McLaren F1. The F1 broke world records, arriving at top paces of 240.1 mph, just to be beat by the Bugatti Veyron in 2005. Tragically, the hustling machines reign of mastery finished in 1998, and from that point forward, McLaren laid hanging tight for it's next break out monster.

With such achievement in the MP4 structure and fabricate, more advancements went to the lanes. Two all the more remarkable space ships came to fruition: the McLaren 650S and the McLaren 675LT, a trifecta of crude force. All worked with the equivalent cutting edge body style, mechanical tone, and butterfly entryways that open up and out. McLaren sure created a completely stunning and astounding vehicle. Many don't see precisely what these autos are and what they can do, yet the individuals who do, utilize it's forces for acceptable and underhanded.

The MP4-12C is work as a back wheel drive, mid-body 3.8 liter twin turbo V-8 motor, which has the capacity of delivering 592 strength with 443 pounds of torque. With such limit and the heaviness of 3,161 pounds (because of the full carbon fiber tub),the MP4 is given a top speed of 218mph. The electronic transmission associated with the motor is a seven speed programmed double grasp gearbox, with the capacity to be placed into overdrive and programmed manual constrained by tiptronic paddles situated behind the directing wheel.

Indeed, even with this force McLaren set out to make a super vehicle that was likewise usable for an every day driver. One of the accommodating headways made in the every day driving bearing was keep fuel outflows low. The MP4-12C emanates low measures of carbon-dioxide and has a superior efficiency than its majority rival supercars with 15mpg (city)/22mpg (thruway).

A vehicle manufactured a leader of its time however with a less garish "take a gander at-me" sort of disposition, the McLaren MP4 (alongside the remainder of it's creation family) tends to make individuals take a second look and ask "what is that?!". The body of the McLaren is restricted, not releasing any space to squander. The optimal design of the McLaren are progressive by plan. The front of the MP4 sits low, giving you a look with it's completely programmed, auto-leveling, LED headlights, fashioned looking like the McLaren logo which speaks to a streamlined speed-mark which is said to exposed likenesses with the vortices made by the back wing. The load compartment sits at the front, making it another supercar to cary the "frunk" style, additionally graced with another McLaren logo. However, with space to no end greater than a couple of packs of staple goods, don't attempt to make this your parade vehicle. Underneath is the place you initially get a sense for the supercar capacity. Air admissions line the front guard, opened only a sum of multiple times taking into account most extreme wind current to help cool the twin turbo motor. The windshield higher sitting alongside wide and rakish to permit the driver to see up and out over what ever streets the MP4 is choosing to rule.

At the edges, the McLaren's structure truly appears to take it's shape. A low stream and huge downforce is given to the vehicle by pulling the plan of 19 inch 5 talked aluminum composite wheels in the front and 20 inch coordinating planned wheels in the back. The lines from the front stream flawlessly all through the long body of the MP4, bending moving around to make the pivot opening for the excellent butterfly entryways that lift up and out taking the side mirrors with them. Despite the fact that the entryways are likely perhaps the coolest thing about this vehicle, they are additionally the most precarious. There is no catch, switch, or switch to open the entryway. It is controlled uniquely by a little sensor in the handle situated towards the back and opening of the entryway itself, you must hit it spot on else, you're left exposed. Behind sits a double scheduled air consumption that drives into the body of the vehicle and covered up by the side boards. The two bends proceed down through the back quarter boards of the McLaren, giving it a stylish intrigue of being as streamlined as it truly seems to be.

The back of the MP4 houses the most fascinating parts of the vehicle. Up top is the place you can see only for yourself the force the McLaren holds through the back window that lets you bring a top into the motor narrows. Followed not long after by the advancement of the airbrake, that was made gratitude to McLaren's Brake Steer. Prohibited on the track in 1997 subsequent to being utilized on the McLaren Formula One, the airbrake was skilled to the MP4-12C upon creation. While giving an enormous presentation advantage out on the track, the airbrake likewise assists with forestalling wheel turn and improve footing. The movable airbrake sits on a keen water powered cylinder that sends the airbrake at top rates when braking to help increment downforce and moves the focal point of weight towards the back. This instrument ensures the driver if they somehow happened to enter a corner to rapidly or help a driver that needed to locate the fastest passage and exit into a turn on the track while dodging understeer and a potential turn out and crash. Underneath the airbrake sits the LED taillights and more air admissions that share a similar plan as the front. Smack in the center of the air admissions sit the double fumes pipes that exposed a rakish shape and emanate the culminated constrained enlistment European V8 tone that genuinely is music to any vehicle lovers ears.

The advancement of the MP4-12C into the 650S didn't come without some body changes. The headlights take on the P1 structure of the all out speed-mark logo shape. P1 impact is likewise conveyed down into the front guard with completely open frontal bar to give more space for the air admissions, sitting lower than on the MP4-12C. The side air-admissions are never again the twofold edge structure from the MP4, however are currently singles that mix into the body line.

On to the 675LT, still the premise of the MP4 was utilized, however now with a couple of more track benevolent developments now. The 675LT was planned carefully to be the top execution vehicle out of it's brethren. Accompanying an all-inclusive wheelbase, the optimal design are just additionally elevated. Anything that can be carbon fiber is currently carbon fiber to help diminish weight much more, including everything from the all-inclusive front splitter to the all-encompassing side air admissions. Maybe the most observable update is the half bigger carbon fiber AirBrake that helped brand the 675 "LongTail" LT. The 675LT is a long way from bashful in exhibiting exactly how quick it is.

Driving Experience:

In spite of the fact that the MP4 appears to be a spaceship that just the throughly prepared would ever plan to guide, it is a remarkable inverse. McLaren needed to make the MP4 that was something anybody and everybody could drive on the track, thruways, and nearby streets. We definitely know the AirBrake innovation is incredibly useful when whipping the McLaren around the track, however the parts that make it a day by day driver are still similarly as intriguing. The front and back suspension are both autonomous twofold wishbone shape.At the front you locate the mounted guiding rack and loop over safeguards all made of aluminum. The MP4 is without a front balancing out bar, however. What it is fitted with rather is a perplexing arrangement of cylinders that associate and help electronically control the weight conveyance of the vehicle all through turns. The MP4-12C was structured on a rack-cylinder guiding premise to dodge the additional weight an ordinary pressure driven force controlling would realize. In any case, with terrible comes great and the water powered controlling is a better inclination than rack-cylinder, so McLaren intended to make the best of the two words. Fitted with an electric-driven pressure driven siphon that drives power into the rack through short lines they had the option to cause two universes to crash into one extreme jdm driving machine .

With the Airbrake gladly showed at the rear of the MP4, we shouldn't before long disregard the brakes that truly make the most of it. Held in by 4 cylinder calipers and two-piece aluminum rotors, the brakes are there to assist you with halting in a very small space, with or without its capacity controlled partner in the back. For an overhaul of $13,000 you can fit the MP4 with first class 6 cylinder fixed calipers and cross-bored carbon fired brakes that even component a brake-cooling conduit to guarantee ideal execution.

McLaren MP4-12C Common Problems:

With a vehicle so mechanically propelled one can expect there to be issues, on that the MP4-12C was the first completely McLaren structured vehicle in right around two decades, so there will undoubtedly be a few bugs that are should have been kept an eye out for when choosing to investigate it .

Air packs: Passenger Side Frontal (Recall ID: 17V005000)

This review impacts certain 2012 MP4-12C models that were ever sold in the southern U.S and Virgin Islands. An inflator was not prepared appropriately and may bring about metal parts striking the vehicle inhabitants when conveyed which may bring about genuine request or passing.

Perceivability: Windshield/Wiper/Washer:Motor (Recall ID: 13V541000)

This review impacts certain 2012-2014 models sold in the southern U.S. The high temperatures and mugginess in these areas may cause the wiper engine to stick and prevent the windshield wiper from working coming about in undermined perceivability.

Electronic Malfunctions:

Much the same as nay propelled vehicle, there are continually going to be issues with the hardware inside the vehicle, including the atmosphere control LCD, the responsiveness of the touch screen, and poor gathering and GPS signal. Nonetheless, because of McLaren's mindfulness, there are consistently refreshes for the IRIS framework inside he vehicle, so consistently ensure the product is exceptional.

Entryway Opening Mechanism:
The little sensor that takes into account the ways to open and close is here and there shorted out in wet conditions not permitting the ways to open by any means.

A/C Radiator:
Usually known to fall flat and just shoot the vehicle with sight-seeing rather than cold.

Transmission Leakage:
One of the most noticeably awful issues to ever perhaps run into has hit the MP4-12C's previously, not in huge numbers however. With just a couple of occurrences revealed, it is as yet something worth including. The transmissions have known to have seals blasted and spill oil, when this happens the entire transmission should be supplanted and that will run you a chunk of change of $28,000.

Delicate Paint

The 2012 models appear to have a more vulnerable paint than the later models so make certain to pay special mind to blurring or air pockets around bends and corners.

Stun Leakage:

Stuns have been known to spill in the MP4-12C, you would have the option to tell on the grounds that the controlling would get unbending and jerky or even on occasion has snapshots of stillness.

Front lamp Condensation:

Appearing to be a truly basic issue for any MP4 driven too much in wet conditions.

With the 650S 675LT despite everything being generally new models, no reviews have been issues, however the two vehicles have been accounted for to likewise have electrical issues that impact everything from radio capacity to inability to send the AirBrake.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts