McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, wish i had seen this, i just bought a 2014 Spider, but it had the first Iris, a nightmare, booked into Ascot to have the upgrade next week, 2.800 quid..!

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,125 Posts
Hmmm, maybe it didn't change with the model year? Anyone know a more precise date when IRIS2 was offered as standard?

-Jamie.
It was in 2nd half of 2013. Most, but not all 2014s have iris 2. I was one of the first to get it in the U.S. I'll see if I can find the receipt when I stop somewhere to get at my laptop.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Yep, wish i had seen this, i just bought a 2014 Spider, but it had the first Iris, a nightmare, booked into Ascot to have the upgrade next week, 2.800 quid..!
That is probably more than my car is worth.

No matter how much you paid for the car or how much you can afford it, that really is not a good introduction to McLaren.

Ascot is a great dealership though, hope the can erase the bad memories and make you enjoy the great car you have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, thanks Neil, it's a great car besides that, having said that I have only done 300 miles in it... Love the exclusivity, and it's made in the UK....

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,125 Posts
It was in 2nd half of 2013. Most, but not all 2014s have iris 2. I was one of the first to get it in the U.S. I'll see if I can find the receipt when I stop somewhere to get at my laptop.
Mine was installed by mid October 2013, and again, I was among the first in the US.

My guess is that a bunch of the 2014's started production in august and september and probably didn't get IRIS 2 as I don't think it was available until about late september/early october.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Yes, thanks Neil, it's a great car besides that, having said that I have only done 300 miles in it... Love the exclusivity, and it's made in the UK....
Enjoy! Are you coming to Supercar Sunday at Brooklands this weekend?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello all, I am new to these types of sites so I really do not know how it works, Is there any tutorial out there?? Anyway I have a 2014 12c Spider for a month now, Love the car, It has been at the Mclaren shop now for a week and nobody can figure out the problem. When you push the start button the windshield wiper moves up about 1" on the glass and stays there, So after 10 starts the windshield is half way up the glass, They sent videos to Mclaren and the said they never seen this happen in any car, There telling me they have to run a few more test and then may have to replace the whole brain out, Not ECU but the main computer. Has anyone experienced this before??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hello all, I am new to these types of sites so I really do not know how it works, Is there any tutorial out there?? Anyway I have a 2014 12c Spider for a month now, Love the car, It has been at the Mclaren shop now for a week and nobody can figure out the problem. When you push the start button the windshield wiper moves up about 1" on the glass and stays there, So after 10 starts the windshield is half way up the glass, They sent videos to Mclaren and the said they never seen this happen in any car, There telling me they have to run a few more test and then may have to replace the whole brain out, Not ECU but the main computer. Has anyone experienced this before??

Thanks
Welcome to McLaren Electronics, a world of mystery and imagination. Actually, don't sweat the small stuff, I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually (sounds like maybe a glitch in the control module sending out a pulse to the wiper control when starting?). Focus on the big things in this car - power, comfort, handling, they're all best-in-class. Oh, and track the shit out of it at every opportunity and you'll soon learn to not care about the car's maddening electrical glitches!

·
McLaren Convert
396 Posts
I'd like to make a few comments after driving 1000 miles in my 2013 12C spider. I had a 2012 12C coupe that I traded in, both vehicles were pre-owned. Neither vehicle was purchased from a McLaren dealership. Both vehicles had remaining warranties at the time of purchase.

First. Paddle shifters.

Original car was VIN#300 - original Pre-Cog shifters that had some tension on the lever pull back. New spider does not. Impression. I prefer the newer version. Lighter action makes single hand shifting up and down easier. Speed of shifting is essentially unchanged. Newer paddle shifting gives a more responsive feel, making old shifters feel, mmm, analog. Final judgement, original Pre-Cog shifters, IMHO, are not a make or break option.

Second. Sport Exhaust.

Original vehicle had stock exhaust. New vehicle has the sports exhaust. Wow. Even with the top up, the exhaust note inside the vehicle is an improvement. With the spider top down, and the rear glass retracted, the sound is incredible. I would quote Jalopnik here "free flowing pipes expel exhaust gasses with a new timbre, the roar under power assaults your eardrums in the best way, with crackling overrun off-throttle as the cherry on top."

Third. Swipe doors.

I do miss them. Nuff said. Sniff.

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I got a note that before 2013 the soft paints were Elite Paints and Special Paint was harder?
I think it was across the board. I remember McLaren changed their paint manufacturer from one company to another... Maybe some were more susceptible to damage than others just due to composition?

-Jamie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is probably more than my car is worth.

No matter how much you paid for the car or how much you can afford it, that really is not a good introduction to McLaren.

Ascot is a great dealership though, hope the can erase the bad memories and make you enjoy the great car you have.
Bought from Ascot myself in July, have to say the salesman I dealt with was straight up about Iris 1 & 2 even on the initial phone call - said it would need doing on their older cars and to add that £2800 to the price on the sticker before any negotiation. They were pretty honest about what niggles the cars might have re software from time to time too, and that it might need the occasional 'reboot' to sort it!!!

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
This thread and perhaps the first post, should really address the potential issue with the Graziano gearbox, as my understanding is that failures continue to crop up even in the 650S variants.

To summarize to the best of my understanding, the gearbox may eventually have a faulty seal that is internal to the unit. The symptom is oil leakage under the car towards the back. The dealers are not authorized to open the gearbox unit, so the current fix is to replace the entire box. Out of warranty, this is circa 25-30 thousand USD.

I think we need to press mclaren to find out which units this affects, whether all or a subset of VIN. In my opinion, it is the single biggest risk to buying the car second hand and will likely be a drag on market value for ALL Graziano dct equipped cars (except P1 perhaps) until more clarity is determined.

Apols if I am restating known facts or have something inaccurate, eager to learn any new info, myself.

·
VIN:15XX
985 Posts
I think we need to press mclaren to find out which units this affects, whether all or a subset of VIN.
Too right 6th. Also, in the very least, they should have a considerably cheaper factory reconditioned option for owners, or still even better train the dealer techs how to change a gearbox seal - after all how hard can it be!?

These are Italian exotic car gearboxes though , so it could well come down to luck of the draw in the manufacturing process rather than a design flaw traceable to a certain VIN.

Best, Frank

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This thread and perhaps the first post, should really address the potential issue with the Graziano gearbox, as my understanding is that failures continue to crop up even in the 650S variants.

To summarize to the best of my understanding, the gearbox may eventually have a faulty seal that is internal to the unit. The symptom is oil leakage under the car towards the back. The dealers are not authorized to open the gearbox unit, so the current fix is to replace the entire box. Out of warranty, this is circa 25-30 thousand USD.

I think we need to press mclaren to find out which units this affects, whether all or a subset of VIN. In my opinion, it is the single biggest risk to buying the car second hand and will likely be a drag on market value for ALL Graziano dct equipped cars (except P1 perhaps) until more clarity is determined.

Apols if I am restating known facts or have something inaccurate, eager to learn any new info, myself.
Too right 6th. Also, in the very least, they should have a considerably cheaper factory reconditioned option for owners, or still even better train the dealer techs how to change a gearbox seal - after all how hard can it be!?

These are Italian exotic car gearboxes though , so it could well come down to luck of the draw in the manufacturing process rather than a design flaw traceable to a certain VIN.

Best, Frank
I added the following:

new addition to post 1 said:
- Get the car on a lift.
---- Inspect the underside of the car with the bottom panels off. Check for any signs of fluid leaks, loose connections, excessive wear / corrosion.
---- The transmission unit is near the back of the car. Though uncommon, there have been incidents where the box has failed. The symptom is oil leakage under the car towards the back. The dealers are not authorized to open the gearbox unit, so the current fix is to replace the entire box. Out of warranty, this is will be a very costly repair.
I left it as "costly" as I've heard everything from 15k USD to 30k USD to replace the gearbox out of warranty.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
It would be beneficial to know if it is related to a defect/batch, or is it more a wear and tear situation (i.e. all boxes will eventually fail). It seems more the former, since there are some very high mileage cars that haven't had it. But until more info is provided by mclaren, it seems it could potentially affect any Graziano DCT equipped car. :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Based on the info in this thread I can conclude the image below shows an IRIS version 1. Correct? (2013 Spider)
I found this IRIS issue confusing when I first bought my car. My car was advertised on Mclaren's own used inventory website as having the "IRIS upgrade" but was merely an ineffective upgrade on IRIS 1, but not IRIS 2. The NAV on my IRIS 1 was virtually useless. I later paid for an upgrade to IRIS 2 which was well worth it IMO.

To distinguish between the two:
IRIS 1 only has labels on the bottom two buttons.
IRIS 2 has labels on all four buttons.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you all for the information that you are handing down. I am currently looking for a car and all this information has been very helpful. I only have the question of how much the 12c and 650 will drop because of all the different models they are now producing and that McLaren does not have a great reputation for maintaining their value.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts