McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been multiple comments, most of which are not terribly flattering, about McLaren's marketing to date.

Can't change the past so moving forward, what should they do to improve ?

Personally I think they are heading in the right direction, giving EVO a long termer is a smart PR move. Working through McLife to set up US and UK owners clubs (to start) would be a good next step. A factory delivery program, especially for non-EU buyers, would be an easy win. A few factory sponsored track days (with a demo of one of the McLaren F1 cars during the day) and multi-day tours would help build loyalty and generate interest.

Other ideas?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
There has been multiple comments, most of which are not terribly flattering, about McLaren's marketing to date.

Can't change the past so moving forward, what should they do to improve ?

Personally I think they are heading in the right direction, giving EVO a long termer is a smart <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym> move. Working through McLife to set up US and UK owners clubs (to start) would be a good next step. A factory delivery program, especially for non-EU buyers, would be an easy win. A few factory sponsored track days (with a demo of one of the McLaren F1 cars during the day) and multi-day tours would help build loyalty and generate interest.

Other ideas?
Watch this space Boxer,things are starting to happen,there will be some annoucements soon;):)

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
You can't control what the press will say except by building truly great cars. Seems they are there now and surely the initial press on the 12C Spider was a reflection of the improvements they have made.

What you can do is vocalize the story you want to tell and the one you want people telling much better on your own. With the P1 I think they need to up the pace - Ferrari had a fantastic video production to release the day the cover came off their car. They have followed that up with some technical videos showing more details of the car. We still have yet to see any good video of a production P1 on track where it is supposed to shine. There are also a lot of details still left to the imagination or supposition - for instance why have we not yet seen a bare Monocage and something that highlights the differences between it and the 12C. It would also be great to get more than a couple of finely worded paragraphs on the engine changes too.

I think McLaren's appeal to a smarter customer - someone who is more interested in the technical aspects of their cars so McLaren should be flooding them with the details to immerse themselves in. Here's a good example where I learned significantly more about the 12C than I'd gotten from McLaren's own materials:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-mclaren-mp4-12c-suspension-walkaround.html

The teaser approach can be good if you already have a captive audience, and of course it is designed to leave you wanting, but McLaren need to be engaging people who might otherwise overlook them and explaining clearly why they should not.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Good Point Erik,i have to agree,that article from Edmunds was read and re-read by those of us that are what you say,the Mclaren customer that Mclaren was targeting,but in the end didnt supply that level of detail,unless of course as an individual you target them yourself,which is not good marketing !!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Watch this space Boxer,things are starting to happen,there will be some annoucements soon;):)
I look forward to any news...

It was great to see Birmingham start a owner breakfast and I think it's had a great response- other than clashing with Easter but an enormous well done to the team for starting something.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
How about helping to organise the first US Owners Rally? Oh wait, I've tried that........

Its amazing to me that McLaren has a willing volunteer with support who will do all the necessary legwork to make it happen, yet they just can't seem to be bothered, and I can only talk to a brick wall for so long!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
texas, I do wonder if Mclaren are organised on a matrix.

If you go to the MPC or MTC and ask who is accountable for xyz it is difficult to get a direct answer. They can be a funny bunch when specifics get raised.

I worked in a matrix organised, fast growing, small multi-national in the late 70's early 80's.........it was fun but you could loose your sanity pretty quick if you pressed an issue.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You can't control what the press will say except by building truly great cars. Seems they are there now and surely the initial press on the 12C Spider was a reflection of the improvements they have made.

What you can do is vocalize the story you want to tell and the one you want people telling much better on your own. With the P1 I think they need to up the pace - Ferrari had a fantastic video production to release the day the cover came off their car. They have followed that up with some technical videos showing more details of the car. We still have yet to see any good video of a production P1 on track where it is supposed to shine. There are also a lot of details still left to the imagination or supposition - for instance why have we not yet seen a bare Monocage and something that highlights the differences between it and the 12C. It would also be great to get more than a couple of finely worded paragraphs on the engine changes too.

I think McLaren's appeal to a smarter customer - someone who is more interested in the technical aspects of their cars so McLaren should be flooding them with the details to
immerse themselves in. Here's a good example where I learned significantly more about the 12C than I'd gotten from McLaren's own materials:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-mclaren-mp4-12c-suspension-walkaround.html

The teaser approach can be good if you already have a captive audience, and of course it is designed to leave you wanting, but McLaren need to be engaging people who might otherwise overlook them and explaining clearly why they should not.

>8^)
ER
DITTO........Ferrari is a master at PR, tough to go up against that PR machine. McLaren seems to have this attitude that their cars once driven will sell itself. That maybe true initially (exceptional cars) but long term I'm not sure that is the best way to approach it. They must improve brand awareness if they are going to have a volume seller like the P13 and go up against Porsche, who are no slouch in the PR dept either

·
Registered
36 Posts
Longer (much!) term McLaren also need a 'bedroom wall' strategy. I was born in the early 80's and at first had a Testarossa on my wall, which was replaced with an F40 (eventually joined by an F1). The cars need to be something for those 10 years from a driving license can find ways to access and aspire to for the future. This is for McLaren as a group rather than just Automotive. Tooned is a nice little step into this.

From an ownership perspective the idea of the factory visits and track days is a strong lure. Feeling a little special and getting the chance for a passenger ride in say an F1 or the two seater F1 car would engender some loyalty from me.

It will be a long time before McLaren can sit alongside Ferrari and Lamborghini in the minds of the public but it's eminently doable IMO.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts

I think McLaren's appeal to a smarter customer - someone who is more interested in the technical aspects of their cars so McLaren should be flooding them with the details to immerse themselves in. Here's a good example where I learned significantly more about the 12C than I'd gotten from McLaren's own materials:

>8^)
ER

Erik: Your post is spot on.

P1 has been marketed as a technical show case deploying technologies that will rewrite the current performance records for production road cars.. That is quite a claim indeed. The lack of technical materials to potential customers to help support their curiosity that those claims can acually be realized is quite troubling. This is a major turnoff to the tecnhical buyer in my opinion.

I understand the gamesmanship played between these companies and their reluctance to disclose track times and other performance data prior to disclosure by the others. A poker game at best. Put I believe McLaren is doing themselves a huge disservice by not producing video's of P1 at full song navigating around some race track deploying their "goods". A lot can be learned through a discerning eye without disclosing an actual time.

McLaren's marketing campaign for such a limited edition just doesn't add up to me if you are trying to attract select buyers to display your wares to the motoring community. I am very interested to see the next bit of information they reveal.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I do wonder if marketing and PR get confused.

What is the purpose of Marketing?

Create a desire to purchase a product is a common view.

Marketing is the science of choosing target markets through market analysis and market segmentation, as well as understanding consumer buying behaviour and providing superior customer value is another view.

What is PR?

Public relations (PR) is the practice of managing the flow of information between an individual or an organization and the public.

Mclaren have done an OK job but a little naively when compared to Ferraris efforts but if you want to cut them some slack then their honest and transparent approach might win through in the end (but don't hold your breath) compared to Ferrari.

The real bitch is the lack of demand for the product. Is the cause poor marketing and/or PR? I think that is a minor factor.

The lack of manufacturing compliance and poor management of volume against economic reality has caused most market damage and reduced the cars desirability in non-customers eyes.Add in the early negative press, which could so easily have been avoided, and I conclude the biggest marketing problem is the management naivety regarding the early establishment of Mclaren Automotive as a brand.

Maybe management believed the larger Mclaren Brand would wash over the 'new' road going Automotive Division.

So, sure better on the ground exposure of the vehicles makes a difference like the EVO initiative. Getting exposed at car shows and events is another. Arranging track invites to drive the car is another. Whatever, it is a lot of actions over time, in business terms overnight is 2 years in this kind of business in my view. So now is the point where they need to kick on and fast.

The brand needs working in the market. Maybe Mclaren will speed up the learning curve now they are facing a tougher challenge partly contributed to by the recession and partly by their lack of road car marketing experience and know how.

The frustration for me is that the product, the car, is thrilling to drive. It is fun. Good to look at. Inspirational. Dealer back up as it should be. Residual reality inhibiting my repurchase.

It would make a great interview subject with Ron Dennis and be very revealing at the same time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
They need to make the owner continue to feel valued. Since saying I will not buy a spider with current residuals the dealer seems to have forgot my phone number.
I did get an invite to the GT events at various UK circuits, but at a charge of £200 per person, now £600 to take my two boys out for the day is not cheap and does not make me feel valued. Why is Mclaren not picking up the tag, they are a new brand trying to build loyalty, so far they have not got mine. Product good the rest is pants, they promised a great product and fixed number of deliveries per annum to help residuals, first year that went out the window, cars unfinished over producing, now struggling to find enough new buyers in second year. How many people on here have had a verbal conversation with Mclaren to inquire what you think of the whole experience and what you think could / should be better.

They should show they care. Ask customers for their thoughts, not just on the car. They should invite owners to test days, both F1 and GT free of charge. Above all they should deliver what was promised.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Erik: Your post is spot on.

P1 has been marketed as a technical show case deploying technologies that will rewrite the current performance records for production road cars.. That is quite a claim indeed. The lack of technical materials to potential customers to help support their curiosity that those claims can acually be realized is quite troubling. This is a major turnoff to the tecnhical buyer in my opinion.

I understand the gamesmanship played between these companies and their reluctance to disclose track times and other performance data prior to disclosure by the others. A poker game at best. Put I believe McLaren is doing themselves a huge disservice by not producing video's of P1 at full song navigating around some race track deploying their "goods". A lot can be learned through a discerning eye without disclosing an actual time.

McLaren's marketing campaign for such a limited edition just doesn't add to me if you are trying to attract select buyers to display your wares to the motoring community. I am very interested to see the next bit of information they reveal.
Not sure I agree with that I have to admit. Someone once mentioned to me while I was watching one of the Zonda videos that Pagani had released long ago, a lot of these videos/generic info released for the general public is to assure buyers of said cars that the general public will know how rare/fast/expensive those cars are and it's just for brand awareness than actually helping sales of those cars.

In terms of helping sell the P1, I cannot believe that any further info/track video/marketing type stuff would actually make any difference to a prospective buyer as anyone who had a solid interest in the P1 would be able to find out a lot more by expressing an interest to their dealer and therefore get a much more in depth look at the car from the factory itself.

In terms of more general marketing, I reckon Mclaren need to find a way to raise more awareness of their racing heritage with the public. Their racing pedigree stands in comparison with the likes of Porsche and Ferrari but outside of the motorsport fans, I think not many people will recognise the Mclaren name and indeed are far more likely to associate it with... the Maclaren buggy......

·
Registered
964 Posts
Regarding the poster on the wall comment, it still amazes me the amount of people that don't even know that Mclaren make road going cars!! they look shocked when I reply what make of car it is!

They do need to look at brand loyalty amongst owners, we are a shop window for them.. and easily converted customers I'd imagine! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Not sure I agree with that I have to admit. Someone once mentioned to me while I was watching one of the Zonda videos that Pagani had released long ago, a lot of these videos/generic info released for the general public is to assure buyers of said cars that the general public will know how rare/fast/expensive those cars are and it's just for brand awareness than actually helping sales of those cars.

In terms of helping sell the P1, I cannot believe that any further info/track video/marketing type stuff would actually make any difference to a prospective buyer as anyone who had a solid interest in the P1 would be able to find out a lot more by expressing an interest to their dealer and therefore get a much more in depth look at the car from the factory itself.

In terms of more general marketing, I reckon Mclaren need to find a way to raise more awareness of their racing heritage with the public. Their racing pedigree stands in comparison with the likes of Porsche and Ferrari but outside of the motorsport fans, I think not many people will recognise the Mclaren name and indeed are far more likely to associate it with... the Maclaren buggy......

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the dealer is provided the same information as can be found on the McLaren Automotive site. No more, no less. I personally have made numerous technical request, through dealer, which remained unanswered. As I stated in my previous post, technical buyers have a need to review materials that ultimately support their decision to perfect such a purchase. That is the reality they exist in. Just saying. Don't shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
477 Posts
They need to make the owner continue to feel valued. Since saying I will not buy a spider with current residuals the dealer seems to have forgot my phone number.
I did get an invite to the GT events at various UK circuits, but at a charge of £200 per person, now £600 to take my two boys out for the day is not cheap and does not make me feel valued. Why is Mclaren not picking up the tag, they are a new brand trying to build loyalty, so far they have not got mine. Product good the rest is pants, they promised a great product and fixed number of deliveries per annum to help residuals, first year that went out the window, cars unfinished over producing, now struggling to find enough new buyers in second year. How many people on here have had a verbal conversation with Mclaren to inquire what you think of the whole experience and what you think could / should be better.

They should show they care. Ask customers for their thoughts, not just on the car. They should invite owners to test days, both F1 and GT free of charge. Above all they should deliver what was promised.
DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO
360 you are so right :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
But you will get as far as me on this ( NO WHERE !!!!! ) :D :mad: :D :mad:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the dealer is provided the same information as can be found on the McLaren Automotive site. No more, no less. I personally have made numerous technical request, through dealer, which remained unanswered. As I stated in my previous post, technical buyers have a need to review materials that ultimately support their decision to perfect such a purchase. That is the reality they exist in. Just saying. Don't shoot the messenger.
Same experience here :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO
360 you are so right :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
But you will get as far as me on this ( NO WHERE !!!!! ) :D :mad: :D :mad:
A number of years ago a Mercedes dealer told me Mercedes try to keep their customers as they reckoned a new customer cost them £11K in advertising and marketing an existing one is free. Mclaren need to learn fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd like to add a few things; I love the 12c spider; but it would appear that Mclaren has put so much into th production/technical side, they have ignored - and/or - don't have proper funding - for a proper marketing campaign. The old - 'it will sell itself' attitude.
I brought up a while 'where can I get a decent mclaren polo shirt'; I think I got one link for a $200 shirt (no thanks). Marketing the car is important as marketing the name. Whether they put signage up at a PGA event or something else, I fear they are stretched too thin at this important junction. The early adopters bought the initial run of cars, now the real work begins. Here is the other opportunity; attached is a screenshot of something Ferrari has mastered (and done overboard with IMO); branding on other products. (Discussed a zillion times elsewhere). At the very top of this page was an ad for Ferrari headphones !!
Mcl needs to create brand awareness. I expected them to be non-traditional; but haven't seen much. I've gone to two Mclaren events (with my wife) the only literature/etc we were even given was a thumb drive with the Mclaren f1 car on it. (Other mfrs have given us bags of stuff)
Little things like that are great events to build awareness

1 - 20 of 36 Posts