McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Look, this is a green field start up which will typically take 3 to 5 years to get established. They will not make money..........i.e. return a positive ebitda .......for at least 3 years.

So the issue of 'loosing money' is more about being behind expectations or the Plan. Not surprising given the economic malaise which was not forecast when Mclaren made plans in the early 2000's.

If things go well this year they expect to make a small profit but remember over night in business is two years so Mclaren are doing okish ........but not to plan..........

·
Registered
886 Posts
1. McLaren isn't going anywhere
2. If they do you will have a collectors item
3. See post number 1

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
CarBuzz isn't a legit source of news - they are yet another online blog in the business of rehashing news stories based on things they find published on other blogs and websites. Unfortunately in this case they didn't complete their research and unlike a legit news source they didn't approach the subject even to get a 'no comment'. This all started from a reckless piece of journalism published by Auto Motor und Sport who faces the same criticism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/22307813

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/the-roles-of-ron-dennis/

>8^)
ER

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
It's a waste of pixie dust.

Curious if you don't buy the Mac what would you buy to scratch the itch?

My guess is when you complete your search the Mac will be the obvious choice - but will there still be deals on the 2012's.

Mclaren could pull their current incentive offerings at anytime.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys! I feel a bit better now. I considered R8 V10 Plus but I feel the Mac is more technologically advanced. I also considered SLS Black Series but it may be north of $300K, more than what I want to pay.

I may still pull the trigger on the 2012 considering the incredible price.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
1. McLaren isn't going anywhere
2. If they do you will have a collectors item
QFT. The 12C's gonna be iconic for kickin' ass & takin' names. Absolutely unreal what the "v. update(s)" optimazations have done to the platform. Beyond expectations...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thank you guys! I feel a bit better now. I considered R8 V10 Plus but I feel the Mac is more technologically advanced. I also considered SLS Black Series but it may be north of $300K, more than what I want to pay.

Do yourself a favor. Line up a Test drive of the R8, SLS, and 12C on the same day. Heck throw in a F458 test drive(If you can manage to pull that off). Then buy the car you like the most. The choice will be obvious.;) Most of us who own a 12C could have bought or have owned any of the other 3 cars. Either we aren't that smart or we are on to something.;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do yourself a favor. Line up a Test drive of the R8, SLS, and 12C on the same day. Heck throw in a F458 test drive(If you can manage to pull that off). Then buy the car you like the most. The choice will be obvious.;) Most of us who own a 12C could have bought or have owned any of the other 3 cars. Either we aren't that smart or we are on to something.;)
lol - awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts

As Ritesh said, just line up the R8 and 12C for a side by side test drive.... there is no contest there I reckon as IMO the 12C blows the doors off the R8 and I really liked the R8 V10 that I had... the R8 V10 is a great car (and there is much to be said for a V10 car) but dynamically the R8 is not even close. I still remember the feeling when I was returning home turning off to the motorway sliproad after my first test drive of a 12C with the throttle flat to the floor in the R8 and thinking why the world was going by so slowly.......

·
Registered
560 Posts
:D love it

·
Registered
12 Posts
well the bad news is the car biz is behind plan and yes they are losing money, they have funding so not a terribly dire situation, but to be honest not the best time to launch a sportscar........the good news? The group will get a big infusion of cash over the next few years thanks to F1 and the new deal that has been cut for the big teams so they aren't going anywhere.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Would be a good idea to line them up. Personally the R8 is IMO to heavy and not that much fun. The SLS (I prefer the roadster) is the more reliable one and fantastic for long cruises.... than the MP4 is the toy to play with. Every car it's purpose. You'll have a hard time making the choise and suggest getting one of each

·
Administrator
2,696 Posts
As Ritesh said, just line up the R8 and 12C for a side by side test drive.... there is no contest there I reckon as IMO the 12C blows the doors off the R8 and I really liked the R8 V10 that I had... the R8 V10 is a great car (and there is much to be said for a V10 car) but dynamically the R8 is not even close. I still remember the feeling when I was returning home turning off to the motorway sliproad after my first test drive of a 12C with the throttle flat to the floor in the R8 and thinking why the world was going by so slowly.......
R8 V10 is definitely not in the same league with the 12C (or 459 for that matter). More int eh same league with a 911.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm 90% about to make a deal on the MP4 2012. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
R8 V10 is definitely not in the same league with the 12C (or 459 for that matter). More int eh same league with a 911.
Hm, a bit harsh on the audi there i think. would personally take the R8 over any non GT 911 (and did!) having got the R8 at the time over a turbo s. At risk of sounding like a wuss, I have to admit I found the considerably superior build quality of the audi over the 430 it replaced quite a relief for general use and despite the added weight and 4wd, I think the audi was at least on par with a standard 430. No doubt the scuderia and 458 are far better cars to drive though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts