McLaren Life banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious - outside of the standard 3rd party warranty companies - are there any warranty's that are 'specifically' focused on McLaren (other than from the Factory)? Similar to Thorney's 12 Mo Mclaren warranty in the UK - is there a US version of Thorney's?

2012 MP4-12C
2,061 Posts
Most specifically WON'T cover McLaren.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I haven't seen anything in the US like the Thorney warranty. Darn shame - a McLaren specific warranty at half the price of what the dealership offers might be profitable.....

2012 MP4-12C
2,061 Posts
Yes I haven't seen anything in the US like the Thorney warranty. Darn shame - a McLaren specific warranty at half the price of what the dealership offers might be profitable.....
While I've thought of that, there are a few factors to consider. For starters, parts cost here is substantially higher than Europe. That has to be factored. The accessibility to customers is a thing too. To make a claim, do they have to send the vehicle to you or do you go to them? If you go to them, you're eating cost of getting there too. We live in a VERY large country so in either case, it's costly to mate a tech with a car. That has to be factored as well. What if you only have 5 people signed up because it's just starting and 1 blows an engine? Now you're deep in the red so you'd almost have to have an insurance policy to cover that as a whole, which may not exist. You'd almost have to have a prepared group of customers or significant capital on hand to cover yourself and hope to make it back long term.

Reactions: ESR

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent points - had not thought about the size of the US relative to the UK. As for customer base, I think it would be substantial as it would get people that normally would pass to participate - assuming the right price point. Thorney's cost of $4k (for 650S) would make many think twice about self insuring. Plus once OEM warranty's expired, all of those folks would most likely come over. So volume isn't the issue, but servicing them could be/would be. Don't understand why the same part in the UK is more costly in the US? VAT/Taxes?

2012 MP4-12C
2,061 Posts
Excellent points - had not thought about the size of the US relative to the UK. As for customer base, I think it would be substantial as it would get people that normally would pass to participate - assuming the right price point. Thorney's cost of $4k (for 650S) would make many think twice about self insuring. Plus once OEM warranty's expired, all of those folks would most likely come over. So volume isn't the issue, but servicing them could be/would be. Don't understand why the same part in the UK is more costly in the US? VAT/Taxes?
Volume is only there if people know about it. Parts in the US cost more because of distribution. Every time someone touches it they mark it up. Dealers don't get parts from McLaren, they get them from a distributor who gets them from Europe (not sure if direct or another distribution network).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Volume is only there if people know about it. Parts in the US cost more because of distribution. Every time someone touches it they mark it up. Dealers don't get parts from McLaren, they get them from a distributor who gets them from Europe (not sure if direct or another distribution network).
Volume/Marketing of the product is the easy part. Driving parts costs and servicing distances is where the challenge remains. Yes - it definitely seems that Thorney has quite a few advantages from a McLaren perspective......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts