McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
This was inevitable, although not necessarily with Honda. Last week Aston announced that AMG bought 5% of Aston stock and even though they would not have any voting rights, they would collaborate on power train issues and development . I will be the first in line for the P13 and look at this development as a very positive sign. I did not mean to infer that Honda was not an appropriate suitor......I just knew a deal like this was highly likely, I just didn't know with whom.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was inevitable, although not necessarily with Honda. Last week Aston announced that AMG bought 5% of Aston stock and even though they would not have any voting rights, they would collaborate on power train issues and development . I will be the first in line for the P13 and look at this development as a very positive sign. I did not mean to infer that Honda was not an appropriate suitor......I just knew a deal like this was highly likely, I just didn't know with whom.
I think a McLaren partnership with Honda makes sense. They have a very successful past history, and a Honda badge will shortly be appearing on a McLaren F1 car. This doesn't dilute the McLaren brand one bit for me, as long as McLaren still have their own bespoke engines.

I'm afraid the same cannot be said of Aston. Looks they are now consigning themselves to the status of coach builder.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interestingly enough, my DB 9's 12 cylinder engine was made in Cologne, Germany and the six-speed manual came from Graziano in Italy, so I guess you could say Aston has been a coach builder for a number of years. Be that as it may, I feel McLaren has hit a home run being affiliated with Honda. A Mac will still be a Mac, but it's like having a rich uncle "just in case".

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I think it makes sense to keep their options open, at this point. If the new McLaren-Honda Fo1 team is successful, I could see a McLaren road car with a jointly developed turbo motor being very appealing. If the team ends up sucking, then perhaps not so appealing as people might view it as a British supercar with a crappy Japanese engine. But I guess between the lines, Whitmarsh is saying P14, the 12C replacement, might be the earliest opportunity to see a McLaren-Honda road car.

Either way, the current relationship with Ricardo must be viewed as very successful, I would imagine. The M838T motor is immense, seemingly reliable and has even won some industry accolades. Plus, the M838TQ is already in the P1. So, yeah, good to have both options going forward.

This type of talk will make me pay closer attention to the next-gen NSX, with an eye to what tech McLaren could nab... (insert IRIS joke here)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think it is a great decision. MB and McLaren aren't on the best of terms. MB has their own race team and they supply Force India. I guarantee you MB doesn't really want McLaren to succeed. Honda made great turbocharged engines during the Senna/Prost years. Surely they can do it again. The fact that they would be affiliated with an F1 team would greatly help their NSX sales. I would take Honda over MB ANY DAY of the week and twice on Sundays!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think a McLaren partnership with Honda makes sense. They have a very successful past history, and a Honda badge will shortly be appearing on a McLaren F1 car. This doesn't dilute the McLaren brand one bit for me, as long as McLaren still have their own bespoke engines.

I'm afraid the same cannot be said of Aston. Looks they are now consigning themselves to the status of coach builder.
I think the most important thing about all this is that it does make sense. There is historical precedent, pedigree and provenance. And alliteration apparently.

I can't help myself. I do love alliteration.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You all miss the point. Honda need some Mclaren tech in the Civic and Jazz. Actually some decent Mclaren engines.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Porsche seems to be making good use of rear wheel steering technology. I remember that first appearing on a Japanese car about 25 years ago. Can't recall which one though.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Porsche seems to be making good use of rear wheel steering technology. I remember that first appearing on a Japanese car about 25 years ago. Can't recall which one though.
Maybe not the first, but the Nissan 300ZX had it. It was called Super HICAS (High Capacity Actively Controlled Steering).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe not the first, but the Nissan 300ZX had it. It was called Super HICAS (High Capacity Actively Controlled Steering).
It was the Honda Prelude 1987.

I've driven a later model, which I thought was very good. As you noted a few other manufacturers have tried it since. The Renault Laguna, which of course was responsible for one of my favourite television commercials ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ximAA1QGHa0

I guess the added costs have not made it a more common feature on road cars. It will be interesting to see if McLaren go down this route.

·
Owner
893 Posts
According to Wiki, the rear wheel steering makes them a favourite for drifters.

Have you noticed any advantage in this respect?
Honestly, I would never push an over 21 year old car, so drifting is not happening, lol.
If drifters like it (as you say) ...... Now I see why so many young guys have asked if the car was for sale !!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts