McLaren Life banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
My thoughts, if you can enjoy a good V8 or V10 being the better of the 2 in a few years they will be gone like the dinosaurs. You will always be able to get the latest and greatest in the new stuff. I thought the choices were the Mclaren GT or R8 ......if so the GT looks and purpose are just weird to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@StevenGT
Yeah both seemed spacious enough for me.
I'm 6'1" and I found the 570s to be a bit tight, but 720s/GT/R8/488 which I all test drove seemed to be good. Tried getting into a Huracan convertible once, did not work.

@Firstkill
I should've been more clear. I meant that since I don't want to be in either car for 3 full years, I'd probably get a 2 year lease on the McLaren GT, but that would be more expensive on a month by month basis.
Your point is valid though, I do agree that buying a used 2020 R8, driving for 1-3 years and then selling/trading it, would likely be a bit more economical than a GT leased over the same time period.

@Cdubbs
Glad to have your input given your experience with the R8, GT and 720s!
I test drove the 720s and GT back to back, and I know what you mean when you say it didn't give you the McLaren feel. I've also driven a 570, and both that and the 720 are more raw and exciting, while the GT is softer and more reserved (as it should be).

@ChrisK1982
Financially, I think you're right. Depreciation for the 720s vs R8 should be pretty similar numbers wise, so buying an R8, then trading it in, won't save me any money in the long run, and leasing the McLaren GT I won't even be paying towards any equity in the car anyway.

Running costs are also higher for the 720s, including extended warranty at 5-6k a year starting next year if I get a 2019.

@nicklinacre17
That is part of my thinking process for the R8, that the V10 is a wonderful engine, and I don't know how many more cars will be coming out with an engine like that in the future. While the 720s is feasible, it feels like a bit of a stretch. I know that life is short, and I definitely plan on a 720s within the next 2 years, but I don't think I'll be upset with any supercar really haha.
I had a solid lease deal on a demo 720s, all my options were there but I wasn't a fan of the color. I figure if I'm going to get the 720s, I'd rather get it the exact spec I want.

@Maverick787
Yeah that was one of the reasons I'd get the R8. That type of engine is on its way out, and I've heard great things about the Huracan/R8 V10. I thought about a Huracan too, but I'd want an EVO and thats even more than the 720s, and also the R8 is more daily friendly.
I like the look of the GT, but I wish the engine was showing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Since a few of you asked why not just go for the 720s if I can make it work financially:

Being my first step into the world of supercars, I ideally want a car that is in warranty and very reliable (I'm not saying the 720s isn't reliable, but I think I'd be without my car more than with either the R8 or GT).

I also considered a 2017 R8, which would be out of warranty, but I've heard good things on reliability, extended warranty is not too expensive and overall cost of service/repairs is way cheaper than 720s.

In terms of cars, I think both the R8 and the GT are a bit more subtle, and thats what I want at this point, since I'll be driving it everywhere, including to the office. Now I'm no stranger to getting attention for my cars, my i8 was very in your face, but there's a difference between the attention of an i8 or R8 and the attention that you get in a marquee label like McLaren/Ferrari/Lamborghini etc.

Essentially, I want a car I won't hesitate to get into and drive into Manhattan, drive to work, or sit in a bit of traffic or drive in the rain. I'm not convinced I'd feel that way with the 720s, I'd probably end up wanting another daily driver, or using one of the family cars on days I drive to work/have to sit in traffic/not ideal weather.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have fun driving into Manhattan I live 3 blocks from Central Park, and I leave all my cars in ATL. I stopped driving in the city 6 years ago it sucks and I walk faster:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently came from a 2017 r8 v10 which I had for 4 years into a 2020 gt. I miss my r8 straight piped sound but that’s about it. The gt is more fun yet more exotic in every way and I’ll never look back

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@Maverick787

I’m used to driving in NYC now, learned to drive here haha. First time in the Midtown Tunnel I was in a Hummer H2.

But you’re right, in the city it’s often quicker to walk, but coming from the outer boroughs like me, driving is still better than having to take the trains.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Boosteeddc

Apart from the sound is there anything you miss from the R8?
Is the lack of AWD noticeable?
The rwd is definitely more fun. I basically daily drove the r8 and got too used to it and it doesn’t quite scare me like the mclaren does from time to time. Oh and the r8 is more comfy and more roomy than the mclaren “gt” I’m also 6’4 230lbs

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The rwd is definitely more fun. I basically daily drove the r8 and got too used to it and it doesn’t quite scare me like the mclaren does from time to time. Oh and the r8 is more comfy and more roomy than the mclaren “gt” I’m also 6’4 230lbs
you really think so ? Whenever I sit in an R8 (my Audi dealer always wanted to sell me one) it feels more cramped than my 720s ... and the viability imo is also way worse

·
Registered
7 Posts
you really think so ? Whenever I sit in an R8 (my Audi dealer always wanted to sell me one) it feels more cramped than my 720s ... and the viability imo is also way worse
The r8 must’ve been a v10 plus with the upgraded seats. I had a 17 base with the base seats which is the only way it would’ve worked for me. And the 720s is definitely more cramped by far. I can’t move my legs and my knees sometimes interferes with the steering wheel. Which is the same size interior as my gt now I think? Visibility is pretty similar between them id say

·
Registered
2019 720S MO
71 Posts
720S definitely has more driver space then my R8 had . 720S in comfort mode rides so much smoother then R8 but the R8 seats were so much more comfy then 720S seats plus the R8 had less road noise too .
If I only had one car and had to daily it , between R8 or McLaren I'd pick R8 hands down specially in snowy part of the country.
IMG_20200312_142734_456.jpg

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The r8 must’ve been a v10 plus with the upgraded seats. I had a 17 base with the base seats which is the only way it would’ve worked for me. And the 720s is definitely more cramped by far. I can’t move my legs and my knees sometimes interferes with the steering wheel. Which is the same size interior as my gt now I think? Visibility is pretty similar between them id say
That’s correct was a R8plus V10 (MSRP around 230k eur)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts