McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for a new car. Daily Driver in NYC, I drive about 100 miles (usually less) in a week.
I daily drove an i8 for two years, so I'm used to the usual low car in an urban setting issues and I've got a driveway.

I sit in traffic for one or two of my commute days, but otherwise its pretty open driving (for NYC atleast). I venture far enough from NYC to get some decent roads to drive on (again, relative to the roads in NYC haha).

I'm trying to decide between a lease on a McLaren GT (looks to be around $2,000 a month, +/- depending on if I do 24 or 36 months) or an Audi R8 Performance (purchase a 2020 used with 3-5k miles for around $170k, with 3 years of warranty left).

Long term, I hope to be in a 720s.

Looking for any input. I know that this is the McLaren forum, so I'm going to get pro-McLaren responses, but I've put the same post on the R8 forum for comparison. Would appreciate any and all insight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Searching for a new car. Daily Driver in NYC, I drive about 100 miles (usually less) in a week.
I daily drove an i8 for two years, so I'm used to the usual low car in an urban setting issues and I've got a driveway.

I sit in traffic for one or two of my commute days, but otherwise its pretty open driving (for NYC atleast). I venture far enough from NYC to get some decent roads to drive on (again, relative to the roads in NYC haha).

I'm trying to decide between a lease on a McLaren GT (looks to be around $2,000 a month, +/- depending on if I do 24 or 36 months) or an Audi R8 Performance (purchase a 2020 used with 3-5k miles for around $170k, with 3 years of warranty left).

Long term, I hope to be in a 720s.

Looking for any input. I know that this is the McLaren forum, so I'm going to get pro-McLaren responses, but I've put the same post on the R8 forum for comparison. Would appreciate any and all insight.

Thanks!
How many cars have you bought in your life? (exotics, non exotics, etc.)

How many of those cars did you purchase based on opinions of faceless/nameless posters on car forums that you probably have nothing in common with (age, financial resources, car use, etc.)

How many other decisions in life (which school to go to, which career to pursue, which city to live in, etc., etc., ), did you take the opinion of people whom you have nothing in common with.

There is no wrong decision in your car choice. It is not as if you are going to have them for 50 years and this is a life altering decision. The hold period for people with cars is not very long before they buy a second car or go from one to the other.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Depends whether you want a top end sports car, or a supercar.

The only thing better on the R8 is that it sounds better than the McLaren. Probably build quality too. Nothing else.

btw I own an i8 too :)

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec Artura Spider!
428 Posts
@Saahil, I've driven multiple Macs and one Audi R8 V10+, and I can tell you that you can't really go wrong with either of your choices. I'd give a marginal nod to the exhaust note of 10 cylinders vs 8, but it's not a deal breaker for me. IMHO/YMMV when I'm sitting in an Audi vs sitting in a McLaren, one feels vastly more "special." Yup. The McLaren. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
only thing the R8 is better is 4wd if you need it for all year driving and maybe the V10 sound, and more daily drivable (GT is also daily drivable and even a 720s is without many problems) ... other than that McLaren GT will beat it in about every other category (more trunk space, lighter, faster, looks better, better acceleration, doors opening upwards, more room inside, much better visibility, cf tub, more exotic, etc)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Being just outside of NYC, my big concern with any of these kinds of cars are the road conditions of some places inside of NYC will destroy them all (wheels are not supposed to be a disposable item).

I agree with what the others said, but you are comparing a new GT to a used R8. Perhaps also look at a used 570GT, you might like it better and save a few bucks. I thought the GT felt a little long and the extra luggage space just didn't seem to be enough to really make a difference, at least to me.

·
Registered
2019 720S MO
71 Posts
I've had 2017 R8 V10+ for 1.5 years , put 10K miles on it .That v10 engine revving to almost 9K sounds amazing, so many 1/4 mile , 1/2 mile , street racing , road racing . Not a single issue , car was fricken bulletproof.

edited-image_zpsychoeukw.PNG
20200509_210445.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@unmac
You make a valid point. In this case, this is my first supercar purchase/lease, my previous car was an i8 which I lease swapped. So this is all still fairly new to me, so I always appreciate the input of those more experienced with supercars.

@Jas
I 100% loved my i8, had a lot of fun driving it around. It was a great daily for me, and I found the hybrid powertrain to be a lot of fun.

@Bob_D
Thanks for the input, valid point about the feeling as you drive the car!

@ChrisK1982
AWD is definitely a part of the consideration. I want a car I won't hesitate to take out on the road regardless of the conditions (different story if we've got a some snow accumulating or something). I don't know how much better the GT would be than the R8 in terms of acceleration? Both show similar numbers.

@JayDavis
Yeah NYC is not necessarily supercar friendly, but clearance on the i8 was similar to both the GT and the R8, so I should be okay. And I've gotten fairly good at watching out for the potholes...one of my prior cars had runflat tires which would bubble/tear at the slightest pothole.

@Maverick787
Thanks for the input, R8 is definitely a great daily.

@Knox720S
Beautiful R8! How was the daily aspect of the R8 compared to your 720s?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm loving the interaction level the people on this forum have! Thank you all for the input!

My overall plans are:
Either buy the preowned (but still in warranty and almost new) R8 and hold it for 1-2 years.
OR
Lease the McLaren GT for 2-3 years.

My ultimate goal is the 720s. I almost pulled the trigger on a preowned Papaya Spark 2019 coupe a few months back, but then I decided it was a bit too much right now. In my mind it just didn't seem like the right time. While it was feasible, it was just a bit out of the range I was looking at, and also it was a bit too showy at this stage of my life/career.
Range was lease 7500mpy under $2,500 a month, or 220k purchase.

So I decided when I hit some specific work related targets I'll reward myself with a used 720s, goal is 1-2 years.
It's my current dream car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve had 2 R8s and loved them my latest was a 2018 v10 plus coupe and drove it daily in nyc and was awesome. I traded it in for the GT in October and it’s a totally different car different ride but you can definitely drive it daily as I do. I have a set of winter tires on it but it won’t handle as well as the R8 as it’s for 4wd. My 2 cents owning both you can’t go wrong. My opinion the GT is far more exotic and love the doors.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When it comes to the R8 vs GT:

R8 pros-
Better Sound
Naturally Aspirated
All Wheel Drive
Better reliability, lower running/warranty costs
A bit less showy (pro in some cases)
Comfort

R8 cons-
Could be a bit too subtle in looks for some people (same could be said about the GT, until the doors go up)
My last car had a multicolor custom graffiti wrap (lease swapped, I didn't design it), so I'm used to a car getting attention.

McLaren GT pros-
Doors.
I'm a McLaren F1 fan
Supercar DNA/heritage (although can easily make the case that the R8 is a supercar)
McLaren drive and handling quality

McLaren GT cons-
Part of me will keep saying "should've just gotten the 720s"
RWD, could be an issue in wet weather, and I'd like to have my car out on the road as much as possible, it will be my main daily for now
3 year lease would probably be better in price, but I hope to switch cars in 2 years or less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@StevenGT

The GT is definitely the more exotic car, hands down and no debate.
Which car do you think you were more comfortable driving around and pushing hard?
Does the RWD make a significant and constantly noticeable difference in daily driving in NYC?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’m 6’2 and they were both pretty comfortable. The GT feels bigger and more spacious especially with the glass roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
McLaren GT cons-
Part of me will keep saying "should've just gotten the 720s"
RWD, could be an issue in wet weather, and I'd like to have my car out on the road as much as possible, it will be my main daily for now
3 year lease would probably be better in price, but I hope to switch cars in 2 years or less.
my wager is if you buy and resell a used R8 in 3 years, it will cost you less than the mclaren GT lease for 3 yrs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I drove a 2015 R8 V10 plus for about 20k miles. mostly day to day driving and some track days. awesome car and I wish i had kept it ... never had a problem with it over 2.5 years of ownership. beautiful car inside and out. exposed engine in the rear is perfect and the sound at high rpm's is sublime.

I'm now on my 3rd McLaren (720s). first was awesome (570s spider), second was meh (GT). I found that the GT experience was good not great. looked the part, but I also was asked plenty of times "is that the new corvette?" i think the build quality was really good and the engine was great ... but it didn't give me the McLaren feel. The trunk is gimmicky as most things (like a large piece of luggage) don't fit . I put almost 7k miles on mine in 6 months and then got into the 720s which is amazing.

so, if I had to choose between a 2nd gen R8 performance vs a GT ... R8 hands down.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'm loving the interaction level the people on this forum have! Thank you all for the input!

My overall plans are:
Either buy the preowned (but still in warranty and almost new) R8 and hold it for 1-2 years.
OR
Lease the McLaren GT for 2-3 years.

My ultimate goal is the 720s. I almost pulled the trigger on a preowned Papaya Spark 2019 coupe a few months back, but then I decided it was a bit too much right now. In my mind it just didn't seem like the right time. While it was feasible, it was just a bit out of the range I was looking at, and also it was a bit too showy at this stage of my life/career.
Range was lease 7500mpy under $2,500 a month, or 220k purchase.

So I decided when I hit some specific work related targets I'll reward myself with a used 720s, goal is 1-2 years.
It's my current dream car.
I am not sure if that makes any sense financially ... if you want a 720s anyway there are really good deals, you will almost certainly not spend much more if you go directly to the 720s than getting a R8/NGT and switch in 2y anyway ...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If the 720S is a feasible option now then go for the 720S. Life is too short. If you find it a bit too showy then go for a darker colour. If you're set on one of the other two options then I'd go for the R8 if you know you'll be getting into a Mac eventually. The main reason I say this is that you'll experience a beautiful naturally aspirated V10 before they start to die out in the coming years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts