McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few posts from folks that have purchased through Miller Motorcars in Greenwich, CT (including a lovely red convertible just recently). Searching the forums the feedback on the dealership seems to be all positive, which is good to know.

As an avid McLaren fan and a hopeful owner (waiting to see what the P13 looks like vs. pre-owned 12c) Miller is the closest dealer to me. That said though, it's still 3.5 hours away. For owners in New England, does Miller do pick-up->service->return runs? Any idea how much something like that adds to the service? If there is a McLaren policy on this rather than dealer specific, any feedback from other folks that are no where near their dealers would be welcomed as well.

For New England owners, are there any other qualified shops (ideally North of Boston) that you've had work on your cars?

Thanks in Advance,

-NH4.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know Miller has sold several Macs in the Boston area. They have a large fleet of covered flat bed trucks. I have seen their trucks within a radius of several states, MA included. Call Peter Chiappone in sales and ask or Joe Lofaro, the Mac Service Manager on the details/cost. I would imagine they will accommodate.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MikeSCT. I'll check with Peter or Joe.

-NH4.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bumping my thread from a while ago to ask some questions of the crew...

I'm going down to Miller next Monday to meet with Peter (sales) and take a look at some of the 2012 12c coupes they have in inventory. I've been upfront with him in saying that I am not going to be making any decisions to buy until I know what P13 looks like and then the decision will be between new P13 or McQualified 12c... I know some may say I've shone too much of my hand, but I'd rather be open about my intent.

Some of the questions I'm going to ask:

- What's the turn around for pick-up and delivery when the car needs to go in for service?

- What are the fees for transport if the car is outside of warranty?

- What are the costs of the 1yr / 10k mile service?

- Are there different things done at different years during the check-up? If so, what are the costs of the various services?

- If I bring the car in myself, would I get a loaner?

- To get an idea of what the process might be to order a P13 when it is available, what was the process for P1 in terms of different stages and %$ due at each stage.

- When might the interest / order list (or whatever it's called) come out for the P13? Is there a pre-list? If so, can I be on it? :D

- Does Miller have any plans to expand to the Boston area, or are you aware of any plans for this from McLaren US?

- Is there documentation on the McQualified warranty? Is the warranty extendable, and if so for how long, and how much? (John)

- If there is no pending need for service, but there is a software update, or some non-critical thing, is transport still covered, and can appointments be made to have updates done outside of the service intervals?
Anything else you guys think would be smart to ask? I know this is fairly subjective, but being I'm making the trip, I'd like to have my ducks in a row.

If there are other questions you guys would like me to ask (no, I won't ask about P1-SP :D ) let me know.

I'll post a review of my day once I get back.

Thanks in advance!

-Jamie.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Id ask to see the undercharge. Confirm the warranty. Make sure you have the option to extend the arrant.

If you want to wait, don't bring your checkbook. Sitting/driving one has a way of magically dislodging the checkbook so it accidentally falls out and writes itself a deposit. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id ask to see the undercharge. Confirm the warranty. Make sure you have the option to extend the arrant.

If you want to wait, don't bring your checkbook. Sitting/driving one has a way of magically dislodging the checkbook so it accidentally falls out and writes itself a deposit. :)
I added the warranty question, thanks... As folks reply I'm going to add the new stuff in to my original post to make it easier for the next guy... Or maybe I'm just doing it to make it easier for me, but whatever, my motives are quasi-noble :D

Luckily (or unluckily depending) funds are securely tucked away where an errant checkbook can't get to them... I should probably put a safe word on my iPhone in case I think about moving things around :D

-Jamie.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know an owner in MA, when he needs an update, service, or whatever else Mclaren Greenwich sends a flatbed over and carries the car to and from.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know an owner in MA, when he needs an update, service, or whatever else Mclaren Greenwich sends a flatbed over and carries the car to and from.
Hi Jon. I've been told the same. Provided the car is under warranty, the cost of transport is covered... One of the things I want clarification on is what if the car needs transport after the warranty expires.

You're comment though does give me another question... If there is no pending need for service, but there is a software update, or some non-critical thing, is transport still covered, and can appointments be made to have updates done outside of the service intervals?

Thanks!

-Jamie.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Jon. I've been told the same. Provided the car is under warranty, the cost of transport is covered... One of the things I want clarification on is what if the car needs transport after the warranty expires.

You're comment though does give me another question... If there is no pending need for service, but there is a software update, or some non-critical thing, is transport still covered, and can appointments be made to have updates done outside of the service intervals?

Thanks!

-Jamie.
Hi Jamie,

I'm not sure if the transportation is still covered if the warranty is up, but I do know the owner saying that if there is a new update they will pick it up, do the update, and bring it back. I wish there was a dealership in Boston, I know a couple people are interested in Mclaren but with no local dealership near here is a turn off. You are in NH? What part?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my car from Miller and it was a great experience.
Thanks Eitan. Your car looks great. Is the recent weather allowing you to take it out at all or have you been relegated to another form of transportation?

-Jamie.

·
Owner
57 Posts
Thanks Eitan. Your car looks great. Is the recent weather allowing you to take it out at all or have you been relegated to another form of transportation?

-Jamie.
My car is hibernating now until April probably. Well now it went to Miller because i'm installing CF seat backs + painting my calipers in yellow to match the car. I'm driving now my DD that is a RennTech C63 AMG coupe.:)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I would expect them to pick it up *just* to do a software update, unless it was correcting some defect. I think the dealers only are obligated to do an update to correct a reported defect, or at the time of a service. Any other time,the dealers are just being nice and going above and beyond. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would expect them to pick it up *just* to do a software update, unless it was correcting some defect. I think the dealers only are obligated to do an update to correct a reported defect, or at the time of a service. Any other time,the dealers are just being nice and going above and beyond. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.
John, good point. I guess what I had in mind was something akin to the Iris issues folks were having a while back... They were not detrimental to the performance or safety of the car at all, but if you were an owner that used Nav or Bluetooth all the time, the gremlins would certainly take away from the ownership experience... I'd want to know what Miller's policy would be for something like that if issue 'X' were known to be fixed in software upgrade 'Y' but there were really no other reason for the car to go to the shop.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yea, problems with iris count as problems. They brought my car in for any probles, and those count. Now if iris and everything is working, and you want just the latest version just to have the lares version, then there wouldn't be a requirement on the part of a dealer, and they'd make you wait till your next service for an update, which is reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I made it down to McLaren Greenwich yesterday (Merry Christmas to me!) and met with Peter. When we arrived, the roads were slick, it was raining, and traffic was a disaster. Given the conditions, and that I had been up front with Peter in saying I was not an immediate customer, I had resigned myself to a drive being out of the question, and a ride in one having odds somewhere between unlikely and not-going-to-happen.

The first part of of our meeting was really Peter explaining the history of McLaren and of Miller. He went into the evolution of the 12c and covered all the road car related bits in detail from the F1 to the P1. As an enthusiast and something of an information junky, I knew most of it already, but Peter did a great job of rolling through it and not having it sound like the millionth time he'd talked to these points!

For me, most of the questions centered around service. I live 3.5 hours away from Miller (4.5 if you time from how long it took to get home :D) so getting the car there and back, turn around time, and everything related to that is one of my biggest concerns. After answering my questions, he offered to take my for a ride to the service center so I could see it in person and have the confidence that it really exists and is a top notch facility. So I said 'no'... Just kidding, of course I said yes!

The car we took over there was a Volcano Yellow Spider. In the dreariness of the day it looked like a patch of sun rolling down the road. As a passenger, I can echo a lot of the sentiment that has already been stated here; in 'normal' mode the ride is amazingly comfortable, the loud petal makes the car go from slow to fast very quickly, putting the rear window down in the spider makes for a glorious noise! On a patch of moderately bumpy road Peter switched the suspension setting from 'normal' to 'track' (it might have been 'sport', it was a lot to process) -- it truly is amazing what it does to the character of the car, how much more stiff and unforgiving it gets. Flip the other switch (again not sure if we went to track or sport) and the engine sounded meaner, everything seemed to happen quicker. Traffic and rain prevented any real demo of hooliganism, but it was pretty clear that those dials, turned to 'S' or 'T' are somehow related to the secret sauce that turns Bruce Banner into the Hulk.

Arriving at the service center, there was a beautiful old grey Ferrari. I think Peter said it was a 250, something... Regardless, it was beautiful and expensive. I kept my distance. For those who don't know, McLaren Greenwich is part of Miller Motorcars which runs dealerships for several high-end marques; Aston, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls, Bugatti, Maserati, and Pagani. All of them are serviced at this one location. Walking through the service bay is a car guys dream. There was a Ferrari F50 up on a lift, an old Bentley from the 1930's, Astons, Rolls, Bentley... And the facility itself is spotless with plenty of room to store cars inside if not being actively worked on.

After the tour, it was time to head back to the dealership. Peter handed me the key fob, "You drive."

Wait, what?

My already overloaded brain struggled with the concept. Lucky for me the same bits that tend to allow the unintended blather to escape my mouth without proper processing came to the rescue, "Ok!"

My first experience behind the wheel was backing this ray of sunshine out of its parking spot. The space was not tight, but I wasn't taking any chances, so I turned the wheel hard and slowly backed up. What I didn't know is that turning the wheel hard puts the fronts on a bit of an angle, which causes some feedback in the steering wheel. 30 seconds after getting in the driver's seat, I thought I had broken the car. Come to find out I hadn't.

So, novice supercar driver painfully aware of the price tag of that which he is driving, rain, traffic, unfamiliar roads. As you may imagine, the next bit isn't going to read like an article in a car magazine. As a spoiler alert, I will say that the fastest I got the car was 71 and that it lasted for about 2 seconds and was in a straight line between the breakdown lane and a very large truck.

Most of the driving was done through town and at speeds less than 45 mph. The car was amazingly easy to drive. I left it in Auto and in Normal mode. At one light I was looking in the rearview mirror and the person behind me was snapping a picture of the car. I felt like a Kardashian with a useful skillset.

If I had to come up with negatives, there are only two, and both are exceptionally minor. First is the level of the seat. For me. it's a bit too high. This car had the fancy electric 77 way seats. Other threads have said the manual seats sit lower, and I'm sure that would address that concern. The other is room in the foot-well on the drivers side. I got me some big feet and when I would go from gas to brake I would always feel like I was at risk of catching the lip of my left shoe before landing on the brake... Some strategic replacement of said left foot addressed that though I feel the real solution is to properly learn how to left foot brake.

As you who are still reading may have gathered, it was a great day. The people; Peter, the receptionist, the guys in the service center, were all very friendly. The facilities were all very nice (they even had McLaren branded paper towel in the bathroom) and clean. The cars were amazing. There was no rush, Peter answered the questions as best he could, and I felt like I was treated very well given that I had been upfront about not currently being in a position to purchase.

If you guys have any questions or would like any more details, please let me know.

-Jamie.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a question Jamie, when are you buying one? Thanks for sharing!
Hi Jon,

I'm hoping to be in a position to decide between a used 12c and a new P13. I'm going on the assumption that we'll know what P13 will be during the spring or fall auto shows of 2014 what exactly the P13 will be. Realistically for me, it will likely be another 12-18 months. P13 should be out in 2015, so that's sort of been my target.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jamie
It is a great dealership. Peter is a real pro and passionate about the car. and brand. The little chassis jerk on the turn is a result of the stiff chassis, no flex , unlike most cars where the suspension and chassis resettle. My Spider does it, so does my Carrera GT and my previous 458. Go for it !

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bit late to the post… but I can only say good, positive things about my experience at Miller service. I have used them for my DBS, and also the MP4. I admittedly don't have the same distance problems as some of you given that their service bays are less than a mile from my house! It does provoke the occasional smile of reassurance when I drive past on my way out each day!! That said… I have added approximately 18000 miles to my MP4, and Joe has been nothing less than 100% reliable throughout. Roadtrips have always been accompanied by an assurance that a flatbed is only a phone call away should something go wrong. Great team at Miller.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts