McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
That car is surely going to cost an ungodly amount of money to put in road worthy condition if it has not been used for all these years (assuming it is not just bought by another collector)?

Always find it a huge shame so many of the cars are bought by collectors and just tucked away and not used to their intended purpose....

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
The story isn't quite true - this car has about 300 kms on the odometer which have been credited as delivery and service mileage. Every F1 was driven extensively before delivery and so there are no zero-mile F1s. Anyway, since the odometer is in KMs I guess the headline is still true - not a single mile on there...

I've heard a price for the car from someone who contact ArtSports about it. The number wasn't quite 8 figures (talking US dollars), but was fairly close. The chassis number is #060 - one of just two road cars that left the factory in Yellow, and the only one still in that color now as #014 has been repainted white.

Gordon Murray's signature does appear on the corner of the rear bumper much like an artist signs their canvas, but for some reason they chose to photoshop that out of the one photo that should show it. You can see it in this earlier shot they had on their website:

Also - this was news at the beginning of March when I found the car on ArtSports website on 3/01 - it is funny how long it has taken the story to get picked up and go viral. It seems to have been shared everywhere today.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Always depends on how badly someone wants something. If there were a bunch of cars like this on the market it may take a while. Right now there is this one and some buyers might be interested but you probably need to find the right buyer who wants to continue to preserve the car and thinks it looks great in yellow in order to make a deal. A lot of customers would pass on this because you can pay less for another one and not have to feel bad about putting miles on it.

Of course it also depends on how eager the dealer is to part with it - I know the last F1 they offered was for sale for several years before changing hands. They have a climate controlled storage facility where they keep a number of cars - some for their own collection and some for customers. I don't see this one going anywhere too quickly really, but today's burst of publicity may help.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I must admit its a beautiful car, just not to keen on the colour though. I'm sure someone out there will appreciate both the car and colour alike. Should be interesting to see how long it will take to sell and at what price. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I picked up a significant EuroMillions win Id buy that without question. I didn't think I'd like a yellow F1 either but I wouldn't change it. Does anyone know what colour the interior is?

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Mostly blacks and grays with the center of the driver's seat in yellow. There aren't any good photos of this though as the interior of the car is still covered in its delivery plastic.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Mostly blacks and grays with the center of the driver's seat in yellow. There aren't any good photos of this though as the interior of the car is still covered in its delivery plastic.

>8^)
ER
Has it sat ALL that time. did owner at least do maintenance runs. can't be good to sit idle that long. what a WASTE of years. the new owner will acquire a HYPERCAR time capsule:eek:.....still amazes me the size of the F1 and how barely the overhangs extend especially in the rear. I have to buy a lottery ticket this week!

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Has it sat ALL that time. did owner at least do maintenance runs. can't be good to sit idle that long. what a WASTE of years. the new owner will acquire a HYPERCAR time capsule:eek:.....still amazes me the size of the F1 and how barely the overhangs extend especially in the rear. I have to buy a lottery ticket this week!
Not good at all. Sadly this is realy just a museum piece right now unless someone wants to spend a huge amount on both the near zero mileage premium and then to restore it for road use.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not good at all. Sadly this is realy just a museum piece right now unless someone wants to spend a huge amount on both the near zero mileage premium and then to restore it for road use.
Quite sad really. new owner likely will get it up and running, and actually enjoy a piece of history. WHAT A CAR. talk about shrink wrapped, you can't get anymore vacuum packed than the F1:D

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Quite sad really. new owner likely will get it up and running, and actually enjoy a piece of history. WHAT A CAR. talk about shrink wrapped, you can't get anymore vacuum packed than the F1:D
The mental challenge any new owner will have is the fact that they will be paying a multi-million $ premium for the time warp condition but as so as you take the plastic off the seats, that value evaporates.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Some incorrect assumptions being made about this car - it has lived a life of no-expense-spared care and would not require a significant expenditure to make it road worthy if that was someone's desire.

I do agree that it wouldn't make much sense to purchase this car and pay the premium that would be asked for it if your intent was to turn it into a driver.

>8^)
ER

1 - 15 of 15 Posts