Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across this nugget in an F1 archive:

BBC – SPORT – Formula 1
16 November 2009
Mercedes takes over Brawn F1 team

...... ......

As part of a deal that will see the McLaren Group buy back Mercedes's 40% shareholding by 2011, the German company will continue to supply free engines and sponsorship to the team for at least the next six years.

Here's the link for more info if wanted:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8362295.stm

Ron D plays it just right once again.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
a lot more to it...

Old news, Georgie my boy! :D

Simple breakdown...

- In latter 2009, Daimler takes control of Brawn-GP to become Mercedes GP Petronas, selling (most) of its Vodafone McLaren Mercedes stake back to the McLaren Group, who will still maintain the engine contract purportedly to a then-stated 2015

- Daimler still has (non-controlling) share of ~10% in Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

- The now Mercedes AMG Petronas, Force India , and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Formula One teams all have branded Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains

- It's been in press-releases that Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will have to pay for Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains following 2013 onward

- 2014 will be the mandated change by FIA for Formula One to shift from 2.4-litre V8 engines w/ KERS to 1.6 litre V6 turbo engines w/ KERS

- Chairman of the McLaren Group, Ron Dennis, had affirmed his commitment & vision for McLaren to be in a very British image top-to-bottom, in a way Ferrari is inside-out

- Over a year ago, Honda has restarted its Formula One engine program, though such may just be an exercise in R&D as it often is for them; in 2014, a model-year 2015 NSX-2.0 which will be V6-powered & feature hybrid-assist SH-AWD + KERS, will be released (after being designed/developed in North America), thus a marketing coup for Honda potentially

- Earlier in 2012, PURE (ala BAR founder) had taken hold of Toyota Formula One's Cologne facility for F1 engine development & pursuing commitments w/ two F1 team customers for 2014

... and that be it, for now! :p

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I liked Bernie's quote when asked if he was in favor of the 6 cylinder turbo formula. "I don't care how fast they go, so long as the sound doesn't change."

No wonder he's worth billions with a "B".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts