McLaren Life banner
1 - 21 of 72 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my battery died. I need to know is there some charger that is compatible that I could get fast maybe in an AutoZone or overnighted by amazon?

We were away for a few weeks and it sat too long I guess (I obviously should have left it on the tender but didnt realize we'd be away this long). But worse, my charger seems to be kind of used and dirty. It was basically brand new and there is a sticker with my serial number on it. I wonder if the dealer didnt use it. Worse, when I plug it in, the power light comes on, but the battery/charging lights do not come on. Sometimes I know you have to push the reset button to make that happen, but when I do, the charger just turns off. I have to partially press it 'just so' and it comes back on, but is not reset nor starts charging the battery.

Anyway, I vaguely recall someone figuring out who makes the charger for McLaren. Was it CTech or something like that? Anyone have a model number/link the product so I might get the car back (need to use it tomorrow).

·
Registered
2022 McLaren GT
62 Posts
So my battery died. I need to know is there some charger that is compatible that I could get fast maybe in an AutoZone or overnighted by amazon?

We were away for a few weeks and it sat too long I guess (I obviously should have left it on the tender but didnt realize we'd be away this long). But worse, my charger seems to be kind of used and dirty. It was basically brand new and there is a sticker with my serial number on it. I wonder if the dealer didnt use it. Worse, when I plug it in, the power light comes on, but the battery/charging lights do not come on. Sometimes I know you have to push the reset button to make that happen, but when I do, the charger just turns off. I have to partially press it 'just so' and it comes back on, but is not reset nor starts charging the battery.

Anyway, I vaguely recall someone figuring out who makes the charger for McLaren. Was it CTech or something like that? Anyone have a model number/link the product so I might get the car back (need to use it tomorrow).
The McLaren charger is a C-Tek Lithium, just rebranded McLaren. Can get one on Amazon for about $100. Be sure to get the one for lithium batteries though (they make both).

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Is it safe to use or should I just get another McLaren charger and wait for that? And thank al yo guys so much for the quick help, much appreciated!
My guess is it is safe to use the CTEK charger especially if you are more of an occasional charger user, like IIRC you are. ie In my case I use the charger all of the time the car is not in use so the lower current may slightly extend the life of the battery.

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lights might not be coming on because the battery is dead. Have you tried repeated resets on the charger?
Could be. Battery is decently new. Like 2 years old though. And hasn't gone dead before. But who knows.

The weird thing is, you know how you normally push the reset button and the charger stays ON but it tries to light up one of the upper "battery" icon/lights? When I push the reset button, it just turns the charger off. I do not remember it ever behaving that way.

I tried it without it being plugged in and it did the same thing. But to your point, maybe the batter completely died (same as not plugging it in), and that is normal behavior with a completely dead battery?

But I remember the charger acting like it wouldn't charge before. You turn it on. nothing. You push reset, it briefly lights up the first battery/icon and then goes off giving up, and then you push reset again and again (maybe 20 times) and the battery gets enough charge to start the next charging battery icon/light.

Here, I push reset, and the charger just goes completely off. I do not remember that behavior. But maybe I'm mis remembering?

Anyway, I ordered the Ctek and should have it here tomorrow. Will report to you guys if it's a bum charger, a bum battery, or just a bum operator. :D Thanks so much for all help, much appreciated!

·
Registered
2022 McLaren GT
62 Posts
Current is different 4.5 Amp instead of CTEK 7.5 Amp (Voltage same)
The ctek charger I linked has max 4.3amps, so should be comparable and fine to use. It does look slightly different than the "McLaren" one, but ctek makes both of them. They also make the chargers for Aston Martin, Bentley, etc. I would trust it.

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would also try disconnecting the BMS cable and negative cable, and hook the charger directly to the battery terminals.
If it comes to that I'm calling in service to deal with it. Something wonky is going on then. I'm hoping it's simple charger issue since it's not behaving like I remember it behaving. If it's something going on in the car, then I'd want them to do a thorough look through.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
If it comes to that I'm calling in service to deal with it. Something wonky is going on then. I'm hoping it's simple charger issue since it's not behaving like I remember it behaving. If it's something going on in the car, then I'd want them to do a thorough look through.
The charger you order will probably come with the battery terminal connector. They're interchangable, but at the very least, pull the panel off by turning the two plastic lugs, and attach the charger directly to the battery terminals like you would with any other car.

2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,163 Posts
This charger https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W8KJH44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 per my experience will start charging a battery in a low state before the McLaren or a Ctek will. You may have greater success waking one up with this charger as well. You'd have to get the plug adapter as well, I didn't as I got it to charge my trailer battery and some other things and to have it on deck for lithium. I haven't had it long but it does work well, better than stock I'd say.

• Helpful
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
This charger Amazon.com per my experience will start charging a battery in a low state before the McLaren or a Ctek will. You may have greater success waking one up with this charger as well. You'd have to get the plug adapter as well, I didn't as I got it to charge my trailer battery and some other things and to have it on deck for lithium. I haven't had it long but it does work well, better than stock I'd say.
I like the look of that one!

1 - 21 of 72 Posts