McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Show full PR text
LIMITED-RUN McLAREN 50 12C AND 12C SPIDER ANNOUNCED TO MARK LANDMARK ANNIVERSARY

Anniversary edition of the groundbreaking 12C and 12C Spider to mark 50 years of McLaren

A maximum of 50 examples of each of the 12C and 12C Spider are to be built featuring unique styling and specification enhancements

As part of the continued celebrations for the 50th anniversary of McLaren, a commemorative model is to be produced, celebrating five decades of race-winning technology and expertise of the British brand. Production of the McLaren 50 12C will be strictly limited to a maximum of 100 globally, split between just 50 examples of the 12C and 50 of the 12C Spider.

The McLaren 50 12C and McLaren 50 12C Spider feature a number of bespoke styling and specification enhancements to mark the milestone event, which will be celebrated on 2 September. These have been produced by McLaren Special Operations (MSO), the division of McLaren Automotive responsible for the delivery of bespoke projects, in conjunction with the McLaren Automotive design team led by Design Director, Frank Stephenson.

Revisions include a remodelled, CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics)-optimised front bumper from MSO, which provides increased levels of front downforce, and is inspired by the limited-run HS Edition models, to create a more dynamic visual impact. The lower section of the colour-coded bumper, framing the air intakes, is constructed from carbon fibre, while the front floor is made from race-derived carbon Kevlar. Above the bumper, a black McLaren F1-inspired heritage badge, previously only available to MSO clients, is also fitted on the bonnet.

As standard, the McLaren 50 12C and 12C Spider models are fitted with the carbon ceramic brake upgrade, with 394x36mm discs at the front, and 380x34mm at the rear. Offering enhanced stopping power, these sit behind bespoke McLaren 50 Ultra Lightweight wheels finished in Satin Black. This unique design, 19-inch at the front and 20-inch at the rear, offers a combined 2kg saving over the optional Super Lightweight wheels.

Inside the cabin, the McLaren 50 12C models are upholstered with a full leather upgrade, while subtle branding to the carbon fibre sill panel and floor mats is complimented by an anniversary dedication plate on the driver's door which highlights the limited run.

Available in one of three striking colour finishes – Carbon Black, Supernova Silver or heritage McLaren Orange – exterior aesthetic enhancements for the McLaren 50 12C continue with carbon fibre turning vanes offering further visual appeal, and featuring the McLaren 50 logo.

Each of the McLaren 50 models will be presented with a monogrammed black and silver car cover, limited edition key, carbon fibre presentation key box and a specially commissioned print signed by McLaren Automotive Design Director, Frank Stephenson.

The recommended retail price in the UK for the McLaren 50 12C is £196,000, and £215,500 for the McLaren 50 12C Spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
With all those CF features and brakes its cheaper than a specced car:confused:
Perhaps Andy they have realised that the car is pitched to high and just like Australia they need to lower the price to shift new metal, just look at where the used market is. I am not just knocking Mclaren I think the manufacturers at this level of the market have mis read the demand for £200K+ cars, there is not the numbers to sustain the volume

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking of swapping my 458 spider for the new 50th 12C Spider. I wish they would also add more horsepower as Ferrari will announce the 458 Monte Carlo (Scuderia / Challenge Stradalle) at Frankfurt in September. I like the fact that Mclaren is only making 50/50 coupe/spider editions. Not like Ferrari which will make around 500 of the 458 MC and maybe the 458 16M version after that. McLaren needs to keep numbers down to keep values up. My 458 spider is still worth sticker at my dealer. Fortunately my dealer has McLaren, Ferrari and Porsche as well. It would be an even exchange from the 458 spider to 50 12C spider so I won't have to come out of pocket for the exchange. I would be 100% sold if they added an extra 50hp for the 50th edition. It would surely make Ferrari take notice and realize they can't sit on the asses.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I'm thinking of swapping my 458 spider for the new 50th 12C Spider. I wish they would also add more horsepower as Ferrari will announce the 458 Monte Carlo (Scuderia / Challenge Stradalle) at Frankfurt in September. I like the fact that Mclaren is only making 50/50 coupe/spider editions. Not like Ferrari which will make around 500 of the 458 MC and maybe the 458 16M version after that. McLaren needs to keep numbers down to keep values up. My 458 spider is still worth sticker at my dealer. Fortunately my dealer has McLaren, Ferrari and Porsche as well. It would be an even exchange from the 458 spider to 50 12C spider so I won't have to come out of pocket for the exchange. I would be 100% sold if they added an extra 50hp for the 50th edition. It would surely make Ferrari take notice and realize they can't sit on the asses.
By all means I encourage you to get a 12C, but unless I'm missing something I don't see any reason why the 50th will perform better resale-wise than any other 12C. You can't compare this to a Scud, Monte Carlo or 16M. It's not a new variant, just a bog standard 12C with a bunch of options already spec'd. It's not really a production run of 50. Now, I'm a die hard McLaren fan, but that's the way I see it.

The actual 12C variant to compete with the Monte may come later, but this is definitely not it.

All that said, if this is how you would spec your car anyway, go for it. As Andy points out, it seems like a great deal for the options that are included and I don't think he was even counting a mark up for the new ultra lightweight wheels.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
All four wheels combined are 2kg lighter than the Superlightweight wheels.
That is very cool, although something tells me these will also be available soon to anybody through MSO.

I also think the commissioned print signed by Frank is really neat, even better if he'll sign it in your presence over lunch. He's a great story teller!

·
Registered
320 Posts
That is very cool, although something tells me these will also be available soon to anybody through MSO.

I also think the commissioned print signed by Frank is really neat, even better if he'll sign it in your presence over lunch. He's a great story teller!
I'm sure for a reasonable 12K without tires

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
50 hp woud be a lot as Ferrari adds half that and the Mac already does 2.7 0-60.

My 16M had a 355 sticker - Ferrari added far more options and charged full boat but it was also a completely different car than the standard 430.

I wonder if they are marking them 1 - 50?

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
With all those CF features and brakes its cheaper than a specced car:confused:
You’ll pay just shy of $300,000 for the hardtop version and $325,000 for the Spider.

These each represent a $30,000 increase over the standard, non-50th anniversary editions.
If you were to just go get a regular one and add all these upgraded packages on the dealer check sheet; you’d be spending some $35,044, according to Car.

So it looks like you actually save five grand buying the 50th over the regular with the optional sporty bits.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
You’ll pay just shy of $300,000 for the hardtop version and $325,000 for the Spider.

These each represent a $30,000 increase over the standard, non-50th anniversary editions.
If you were to just go get a regular one and add all these upgraded packages on the dealer check sheet; you’d be spending some $35,044, according to Car.

So it looks like you actually save five grand buying the 50th over the regular with the optional sporty bits.
What I said Doug,except its considerably more than that in the Uk:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Where are you getting your information? Ferrari will make way more than 500 of the new Scuderia.

Is McLaren trying to be like Lamborghini now? New models that have strictly cosmetic changes?

I love the new wheels, about time they made a good looking wheel, other than the ultra light ones.

458 Scud is rumored to have 600 hp. I have a hard time believing even if the rumors of a carbon roof and other areas are true, that the 458 Scud will be able to out drag an upgraded 12C. Now around a track, will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Thats not bad for the spider my Spider was $365K

1 - 20 of 25 Posts