McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread will be for discussions on the club chapter for the US and Canada. This would include benefits and and activities focused on members within the US and Canadian markets. We would like to hear from the members of McLarenLife on what you all would like to see for activities and benefits of our regional club. We are still very much in the formative stages of the Club and getting the opinions of the members here, in an effort to make the club the best it can be, is something we would very much like to see.

As we begin to formulate plans and more concrete ideas, I will use post 2 below to list out what we are working on. If you have ideas, questions, or comments that you would rather not post publicly, please see the general information page with PM and e-mail contact info:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-owners-car-club/40489-general-information.html

For anyone reading this that would like to work with us in building the club at the US / Canada level, please to reach out to us.

-Jamie ( @nh4 ).
-Adam ( @m3dragon ).

Reactions: Greatnez

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
US / Canada Regional Ideas:

Finalized:
- File as 501c7 not for profit group.

In Process:
- Club Insurance
- Member welcome pack
- 10% off service and parts at participating McLaren Dealers
- 10-15% off performance parts from supporting businesses
- Member support network on DIY, fixes to issues, customer care advocate to Corporate
- Discounted track day with approved groups
- Access to SEMA Car Show

New / Potential Ideas:
- Group Driving meet up at COTA.
- Skip Barber Racing Schools — 10% discount at all locations
- Hooked On Driving Track Days – 10% off
- Horseless Carriage Carriers— 10% discount to and from U.S. locations serviced
- TFX International Vehicle Transport — 10% Discount within Canada and Transport in and out of Canada
- McLaren week?
--- Location to move around the country to bring owners together every XX years
--- Track day as part of the week’s activities?
- Social road tours to see major landmarks (Route 66, South West, Etc)
- National road tour events to take place every other year
- F1 meet up and weekend
--- Circuit of the Americas
--- Canadian Grad Prix

Ideas for sub-regional activities

- Cars and Coffee McLaren / Euro Sport car meets
- Local track days
- Weekend drive / road tours
- F1 viewing parties at participating dealers / sponsors
- Seasonal social mixers
- Garage day / garage tour
---Those with shops can do wrench days for those who are into that sort of thing
---Garage house tour to see setups and layouts

·
Track Rat Advocate
272 Posts
guys I was able to attend the F1/P1 owners club meeting in Jackson Hole this fall and it was an awesome event. I'd love to help out

-cj

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guys I was able to attend the F1/P1 owners club meeting in Jackson Hole this fall and it was an awesome event. I'd love to help out

-cj
That would be awesome. We're planning on having another call / WebEx on-or-about December 1st. Once we have dates and times set I'll be sure to PM you the info.

-Jamie.

Reactions: m3dragon

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updates have been added to post 2 above on where we are with getting MOCCA put together. Please feel free to comment with any questions, comments, and / or suggestions!

-Jamie.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
One idea I have is a club vs club track day. With all the P1 vs 918 and 650 v GT3 talk etc, I think it would be cool to see who actually has the best drivers. After all, what does it matter if Chris Harris can drive car X faster than car Y if you can't. I think this would settle a lot of debates, or in reality stop them from even starting. I realize it might be hard to get a club vs club event together since the MOCCA isn't even formed yet but it's an idea for something down the road. I mean, how great would it be to see Mikey B in his P1 smoke CL in his 918? Obviously, they're in Europe but I'm sure CJ could put something on Whoopsy or another NA 918 owner. Then there would be the lowly sports and super series guys like you and me Jamie where we could take on porsche and ferrari drivers. Just one rule for these club vs club events, NO GTRs or Vipers, haha

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One idea I have is a club vs club track day. With all the P1 vs 918 and 650 v GT3 talk etc, I think it would be cool to see who actually has the best drivers. After all, what does it matter if Chris Harris can drive car X faster than car Y if you can't. I think this would settle a lot of debates, or in reality stop them from even starting. I realize it might be hard to get a club vs club event together since the MOCCA isn't even formed yet but it's an idea for something down the road. I mean, how great would it be to see Mikey B in his P1 smoke CL in his 918? Obviously, they're in Europe but I'm sure CJ could put something on Whoopsy or another NA 918 owner. Then there would be the lowly sports and super series guys like you and me Jamie where we could take on porsche and ferrari drivers. Just one rule for these club vs club events, NO GTRs or Vipers, haha
Sounds fun
All it takes is a PM with your e-mail address and you guys can be added on to the WebEx invite and help shape all the things we can look at doing... Just sayin'...

:D

-Jamie.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I kinda dropped off the forums a long while back when it was mostly full of whinging, but another friend of mine clued me in to the MCCA (signed up immediately) but figured I'd drop by here to see if there was any information. I'm happy to help with any of the nerdier bits (less of the legal bits) that need to be done!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I kinda dropped off the forums a long while back when it was mostly full of whinging, but another friend of mine clued me in to the MCCA (signed up immediately) but figured I'd drop by here to see if there was any information. I'm happy to help with any of the nerdier bits (less of the legal bits) that need to be done!
We're all kinda a bunch of nerds putting this together! PM me your e-mail address and I'll send over some more info on what we've been up to thus far.

-Jamie.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wondering if there has been any development on a McLaren Club for the US?
Hi Ron,

We're still working on it. Admittedly it has not come together as quickly as we had hoped but we are engaging with more dealers and we do have quite a bit of interest from the dealers we have talked to.

If you'd like to keep in the loop the best way is to add yourself to our newsletter which you can do at the bottom of the Club's homepage:

http://www.mclarencc.org/

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or Adam (m3dragon).

-Jamie.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Signed up for the newsletter.

Reactions: nh4

·
Registered
4 Posts
m3dragon, I jumped on the MCCoA website yesterday to explore and ask a few questions about interest level among local McLaren owners in the D/FW TX Metroplex. Several inquiries I have directed to the Dallas dealership over the past 2 years have fallen on deaf ears, seemingly for lack of interest, summed up as legal excuses, so I started sourcing other avenues to elicit local interest and came upon y'all's national club.

To this end, what interest level have you elicited from local DFW McLaren owners and what can a newbie, such as myself, do to get involved? BTW, when I tried to sign up as a Charter Member yesterday on the MCCoA website it continually gave me an error message. That aside, I think what y'all are doing is long overdue and much appreciated by a fellow enthusiast.

I hope the McLaren corporate and dealership "suits" don't run too much interference, since brand publicity generated from a large group of like-minded enthusiasts is incalculable. Look at McLaren Automotive's Track22 long-range plan and figure how local clubs can promote exposure of this phenomenal auto to the general public.

Thanks for any insights you can provide and let me know how a local enthusiast can get involved,
Dave Krapf (aka, LAP DOG) proud owner of a 2014 Volcano Orange 12C Spider
email: [email protected]

·
Registered
422 Posts
Dave,

I will shoot you a email so we can chat. Currently we are working on trying to talk to Corp about "official" status. Needless to say this is like pulling teeth to setup.

As for getting involved, we always need owners in perspective regions to work with their closest dealer to setup an event. What I have seen right now as we are a "new" club, most owners want to see a event have dealer involved until we get official status. Just my take on things from other owners.

Email will be from [email protected]

Adam

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Club insurance finalized.

We should be announcing soon 4 dealers as part of the club discount network.

We still have shirts and hats for the "founder membership". Sign up at the www.mclarencc.org to be a founding member.

So are these two separate entities McLaren Car Club and MOCCA? And is that an official badge with the two flags?

Reason I ask I just want to make a note for future reference. Just hate those annoying attorney letters stating I used a clubs name or similar. Years ago I referenced Ford Barn and received a letter from that entity that uses that name. Anyone that knows we have used that terminology for over 50 years....Cobra Barn, Ford Barn, Chinetti Barn, and so forth. Now McLaren Barn might not be words put together often but it's the first project being handled by my just reached teen status daughters. So it's not unusual for a banner to made for gatherings to mark the occasion. So if banner is made by "accident" McLarens Owners Convention I or whatever I'd rather avoid it. Ferrari Club also was a problem when some pictures slipped out. I guess the main reason for this is a public record of word usage.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't understand what the difficulty is in getting corporate on board, especially in view of having some dealers playing along. It would seem to be to their advantage to have a loyal club here, maintaining enthusiasm and involvement. There must be some legal issues that I'm not aware of.

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
McLaren are not easy to deal with. Overly protective of the brand and they do not understand the car culture in the U.S. as well as Porsche and Ferrari do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts