McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
I registered and uploaded the picture, but the rest of the process is unclear with the $0 amount and step involving PayPal?
There had been a membership fee which we recently dropped. The club is being held together, predominately, by myself and @m3dragon. Life being what it is has unfortunately not left us with as much time as we'd like to dedicate to making the infrastructure of the website as seamless as it should be. If you're having trouble with the website, please e-mail in all the questionnaire answers and the picture of the VIN plate to [email protected]

-Jamie.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There had been a membership fee which we recently dropped. The club is being held together, predominately, by myself and @m3dragon. Life being what it is has unfortunately not left us with as much time as we'd like to dedicate to making the infrastructure of the website as seamless as it should be. If you're having trouble with the website, please e-mail in all the questionnaire answers and the picture of the VIN plate to [email protected]

-Jamie.

Hi Jamie -- Completely understand and thanks for the quick reply. I'll shoot over the info via e-mail. May be able to help you out as well, so we'll talk.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
15 Posts
What I figured thru trial and error is that there is some size limit on the file upload size. So a full resolution fails upload but say a 50KB version works fine. At least I think so as I pushed up my entry this am. Would love to help organize some events up in the New England area if I can...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Owner
339 Posts
I joined as well, but can't determine if I am a member, or if the vin pic went through. Am I good to go?

Against my better judgement (based on my experience founding the Desert Region of the FCA), I would like to offer any help with the club, if you need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
If not too much trouble.... I didn't want to go thru all the pages: As of today, what does this "club" offer its members? I understand its just a labor of love for you mods, etc. Just curious (and not meaning it as rude as it sounds) Did the Dealer relationships, service discounts, things like that ever come to fruition?
Ill be joining the end of this week when I pick up a Ventura Orange 570s.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
If not too much trouble.... I didn't want to go thru all the pages: As of today, what does this "club" offer its members? I understand its just a labor of love for you mods, etc. Just curious (and not meaning it as rude as it sounds) Did the Dealer relationships, service discounts, things like that ever come to fruition?
Ill be joining the end of this week when I pick up a Ventura Orange 570s.

McLaren Corp will not support any club movement nor offer any support to dealers to support the club. They are only concerned with selling cars and thus told us that they have no interest in supporting any club movement. So in regards to joining there is no member roster no club. Unless someone wants to get corporate to change their minds, in the calls and meetings we had with them they refuse to make any efforts to build a club.

So short answer there is no club and McLaren Corporate will not support any club efforts as they rather offer over priced "experience" events.

·
Administrator
2,512 Posts
I joined as well, but can't determine if I am a member, or if the vin pic went through. Am I good to go?

Against my better judgement (based on my experience founding the Desert Region of the FCA), I would like to offer any help with the club, if you need it.
Great to see you still have the F40.

·
Owner
339 Posts
McLaren Corp will not support any club movement nor offer any support to dealers to support the club. They are only concerned with selling cars and thus told us that they have no interest in supporting any club movement. So in regards to joining there is no member roster no club. Unless someone wants to get corporate to change their minds, in the calls and meetings we had with them they refuse to make any efforts to build a club.

So short answer there is no club and McLaren Corporate will not support any club efforts as they rather offer over priced "experience" events.
These are 'enthusiast' cars and if McLaren is not interested in working with enthusiasts, then many new McLaren owners may not be back and all they will get are one timers. A lot of people that get these cars want to meet and do things with other owners and if that doesn't happen, they sell and move on.

I've already experienced the "we can't print out parts diagrams", nonsense.

At the end of the day, we the owners are the enthusiasts and it's up to us to get together with like minded enthusiasts and make it happen.

I did this in Arizona with Ferrari and ended up founding the Desert Region of the FCA. The only problem that I found with Ferrari people (hopefully the Macca crowd is different) is that the enthusiasts put things together and have huge fun, attracting lots of others. Mixed in with the 'others' are the people that think a car club is the be all and end all of their lives and worm their way into the inner circle and basically turn it into a posing, snob organization. Where drives and track days are replaced with the PPE series (Posing, Parking and Eating). I'm all for a good meal, but I would much rather attack a windy road, practice trail braking and get together and do a service on mine or a friend's car. But that's just me.

If you guys want some help putting things together, let me know. I wouldn't mind getting SW Mac guys together. I really like my Mac so far and could be a serial owner, but Mac really needs to cater to us... not the other way around. They've got the sales experience down. Now they have to work on the rest.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Any chance you can try to add McLaren Houston? They were recently acquired by Park Place which owns McLaren Dallas (which is a participating dealer). Seems to be a fair assumption that common management would want to have benefits extended to both properties within the same state.

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
The other issue has been time. There was a small group of us trying to get this going. Essentially it was Adam (m3dragon) and I with a few others trying to help open doors and manage social media. Initially the dealers we talked to were receptive, but as Adam mentioned, at a Corporate level there just wasn't much interest. Without corporate interest the dealers seemed less interested in engaging with us.

From this point, the option to move the club forward seemed to be to organically grow it to a point where McLaren Corporate couldn't ignore us. That's where time became an issue. Both Adam and I have more-than-full-time-jobs and are both tech nerds, not marketing or brand-building guys, so I think we've essentially found ourselves without the time and without the proper set of skills.

Lastly, there aren't that many McLarens out there and in the places where there are concentrations of owners they seem to do their own local things... It makes sense, I'm guilty of it myself! It's clearly not impossible though as the UK Owners Club seems to be very successful and the Canadian one, run through Pfaff, also seems to be doing all right.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
794 Posts
McLaren corporate either
1. doesn't care
2. wants to control the narrative later (as they have fancy expensive sanctioned events)

either way even in the southern California region its like herding cats.

I have done one organized drive with 3 other cars and many with just my friend. Meeting up early to caravan, to avoid bicycles and prius on scenic drives is rough.
But either way, its nice to meet other folks with like minds and to eat/coffee to make sure there is no asshole in the group trying to "over drive" or being reckless.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
368 Posts
Firstkill, I HAVE to appreciate your desire to lead the pack and your dedication to make things like this work, but *wow* when you're dealing with an environment where many alphas congregate, sometimes its just so damn tough to make things seamless and respectable to the community at large.

You have my respect (and sympathies), brother. I have much admiration for folks like you, who can herd the kittens and keep the lone wolves in check.

You must be an awesome specimen!

·
Administrator
2,512 Posts
McLaren corporate either
1. doesn't care
2. wants to control the narrative later (as they have fancy expensive sanctioned events)

either way even in the southern California region its like herding cats.

I have done one organized drive with 3 other cars and many with just my friend. Meeting up early to caravan, to avoid bicycles and prius on scenic drives is rough.
But either way, its nice to meet other folks with like minds and to eat/coffee to make sure there is no asshole in the group trying to "over drive" or being reckless.

Im going with #2.

I believe a lot of car manufactures look at owners clubs with the same sort of glee they would welcome a union organizer to a new factory.

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Im going with #2.

I believe a lot of car manufactures look at owners clubs with the same sort of glee they would welcome a union organizer to a new factory.
I agree. The idea that we, as an owners' club, could run the same sort of events as McLaren do for about 1/3 of the cost means we'd be messing with their revenues from these events... No one likes it when you mess with their revenue.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would creating a list of owners who favor creating a club help to persuade corporate to reconsider? Crazy they wouldn't want to have such a thing

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
One issue is also getting owner to be involved. I have tried numerous times to put a get together to drive our cars or meet up and no one will do it. I gave up after the 10th or time so to organize owners. Issues is many of the CA Bay owner will NOT drive more than 20 miles and only want to go to cars and coffee events. AKA look at me.

So the issues is one of enthusiasts are not concentrated and two owners will not partake in events.

The wild is also not a lot of cars / owners in the wilds so to speak. This not a BMW or Porsche or Ferrari club with multiple thousands of cars out there. Just for easy math each model has 1000 cars here we are as a club maybe in North America in the say 4000is range.

If someone wants to take over the running of the torch be my guess. Jamie and I have built and made all the club framework and systems however the getting owners to care and participate is what we have not figure out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
One issue is also getting owner to be involved. I have tried numerous times to put a get together to drive our cars or meet up and no one will do it. I gave up after the 10th or time so to organize owners. Issues is many of the CA Bay owner will NOT drive more than 20 miles and only want to go to cars and coffee events. AKA look at me.

So the issues is one of enthusiasts are not concentrated and two owners will not partake in events.

The wild is also not a lot of cars / owners in the wilds so to speak. This not a BMW or Porsche or Ferrari club with multiple thousands of cars out there. Just for easy math each model has 1000 cars here we are as a club maybe in North America in the say 4000is range.

If someone wants to take over the running of the torch be my guess. Jamie and I have built and made all the club framework and systems however the getting owners to care and participate is what we have not figure out.
If you move to NY and want to organize driving events (no cars and coffee please), I will make it almost every time. I have taken my car out at night or early on weekend for a 2 hr trip just to drive.

Let me know if there are owners in tri-state area who wants to get together for drives.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
368 Posts

Dragon,
You're gonna love it when I place my order; I'm already researching enclosed trailers and plan on being a presence coast-to-coast visiting distant family and participating in rallies all over the place! Twenty miles? Sheeyit. I drive that far for a good burger or cocktail.

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
If there's interest here to push the Owner's Club forward, I'm certainly up for trying to keep it going. We'd need a geographically disperse core group that can help pull owners and dealers together behind the idea. We also need some web gurus do handle that end of things unless @m3dragon wants to keep it going.

-Jamie,

·
Registered
677 Posts
Someone started a new local club in my area since we couldn't sync up. I haven't been to any events but plan to at some point.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts