McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum and was wondering how reliable the McLaren is? I've come from 2 Lamborghini Gallardo's 1 was a Superleggera that I both put roughly 16k miles a year on. I currently have a V10 R8 with over 20k miles in 1 year. Point being is, I daily drive my supercars :)

I would like to swap the R8 out for a McLaren, but I am wondering how reliable the car is for daily use? Most of the used cars I see only have a few thousand miles, does anyone have a car with over 10k miles and how reliable as it been? Thanks

·
Smitten
285 Posts
Yep, just gone through 10k recently. Zero incidents of anything of significance that would affect daily driving.
Rear tyres getting towards end of life, maybe another couple of k in them.
She's had one checkup (off the back of the MY13 updates) which included an oil top up.
Couple of clicks/buzzes/rattles but they're being taken care of at the moment under warranty.
100% road use so far with mix of short journeys <5 miles to the office and back and more typical longer roadtrips out including one mahoosive long breaking-in weekend.
True Jekyl and Hyde car capable of easy cruising or hooning depending on your mood, although maybe not so daily in orange...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

I just purchased one to use as a daily driver after 5 days of ownership I can't see any issues that would prevent me from doing so long term. Whilst it was very comfortable on the motorway last week and it managed an incredible 34MPG I'd still use the Range Rover for my weekly trips to London.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You'll need to consider taking up two parking spots if you plan to get in and out of the car.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
You'll need to consider taking up two parking spots if you plan to get in and out of the car.
Huh? I just don't understand when people say that. Perhaps you have really narrow parking spots where you live?

photo courtesy of brotherharry, hope you don't mind -

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sh... You got me there:).
Seriously when I park it I really pay attention to get in and out.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Mine in for 1 yr service right now, over 11 k on the odo. Of course we count them in km up here. Daily commute into big city, winter driving on OEM snows, no issues. I pulled into the dealer yesterday, needless to say they were appalled at the dirt on my car (it's Carbon Black under there), especially cuz I parked it on the ramp out front and across the street from their very shiny Italian neighbours. All in fun, We had a good laugh. Best (only?) daily supercar with Hypercar performance on the planet. Love it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367958971.507274.jpg

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
my black ride oft' is "under" there too...

What's the repair protocol after the 2-yr/unlimited-miles warranty is up? Authorized dealer service-centers are still the only way to go? Just asking such, due to proximity/location convenience on otherwise routine maintenance/service.

Mine in for 1 yr service right now, over 11 k on the odo. Of course we count them in km up here. Daily commute into big city, winter driving on OEM snows, no issues. I pulled into the dealer yesterday, needless to say they were appalled at the dirt on my car (it's Carbon Black under there), especially cuz I parked it on the ramp out front and across the street from their very shiny Italian neighbours. All in fun, We had a good laugh. Best (only?) daily supercar with Hypercar performance on the planet. Love it.
I didn't know the 12C was offered in Berwick Bronze Brown! :D

·
Owner
277 Posts
What's the repair protocol after the 2-yr/unlimited-miles warranty is up? Authorized dealer service-centers are still the only way to go? Just asking such, due to proximity/location convenience on otherwise routine maintenance/service.

I didn't know the 12C was offered in Berwick Bronze Brown! :D
It is 3 years not 2 years

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
About the doors, it is possible to just open them slowly and rest them against another car and slide in if it's tight, right? It's not gonna get stuck on too low on a angle will it?

I'm a brisk 27 year old, thus a little awkwardness is fine and I can always just back up and let the other person in. I just don't wanna get stuck someplace lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
LOL, I park way out, and take up 2 spots. That is crazy parking a 12C like that above, but to each his own.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
About the doors, it is possible to just open them slowly and rest them against another car and slide in if it's tight, right? It's not gonna get stuck on too low on a angle will it?

I'm a brisk 27 year old, thus a little awkwardness is fine and I can always just back up and let the other person in. I just don't wanna get stuck someplace lol.
The other car owner might get a bit upset if he saw your door resting on his car I have to admit.. but yes it is possible. Not very graceful it has to be said but the doors do not have to open a lot at all to get in provided you are willing to do a bit of practice in being a contortionist...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
LOL, I park way out, and take up 2 spots. That is crazy parking a 12C like that above, but to each his own.
I would never do that it's a open invitation as well it pisses people off. I prefer to have my cars valet parked at specific locations. I just hope they don't pull a Ferris Bueller on me. LOL??. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the all the wonderful replies. Seems like the McLaren is a pretty solid car! I will keep you guys updated on my decision :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Huh? I just don't understand when people say that. Perhaps you have really narrow parking spots where you live?
Spent 30mins late last year in Windsor with a irate 12C owner who was trapped out of his car by other cars parking too tight. Fortunately the car owner on the passenger side returned and allowed the 12C driver to gain access and climb across - easier said than done! So it does happen. :eek:
He did still love the car though!

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
For the record, I'm 6'3" and over 40. Not a problem. Having some show you the "butt side flop" into the car makes it a little more dignified. :)
I'm 6 2" and over 50 and do the butt side flop too!

Russell - if that ever happened I would open the window and take off my shoes vs climb over seats. I do wish you had a video of that moment. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts