McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
C A R B O N
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear circumferance panel as it sits in the field of the rear engine lid takes on an almost Alien shell like appearance. Even off the car on its own. what a great design element. Seeing the images of it released from the mold is cool..definite Mp4-12c
content....just thought i would share.

david

Attachments

·
C A R B O N
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which piece is it?
Did you make it or remove from your car?
The piece is the rear vent panel in the rear engine lid below the air brake.

It is made from a mold of an origonal factory part, new part from Mclaren.

David

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The piece is the rear vent panel in the rear engine lid below the air brake.

It is made from a mold of an origonal factory part, new part from Mclaren.

David
Brainless me,sorry David ,you made it !! .Did you have to remove the original to make the mould and was it easy enough?? At least if it goes yellow you can make as many as you want:)

·
C A R B O N
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brainless me,sorry David ,you made it !! .Did you have to remove the original to make the mould and was it easy enough?? At least if it goes yellow you can make as many as you want:)
It was a new part from the dealer. They are being produced for a dealer who also happens to be a sponor on this board.

The yellowing will not happen on this part. The issue with the factory part is that they are aparently using a standard pre-peg carbon. The carbon is not the issue it is the resin that supports the carbon. Most are good to about 230-280 degrees. As the resin is overheated it will yellow and distort under extream heat. The heat in that area is normally 320-380 degrees depending on driving habits. The resin being used has been tested to 400 degrees with no discoloration and no deflection under a 2000lb load as resins will softern with heat when propperly heat cured. additionally it will be lined with a heat protective coating to further protect from the high heat issue.

David

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
It was a new part from the dealer. They are being produced for a dealer who also happens to be a sponor on this board.

The yellowing will not happen on this part. The issue with the factory part is that they are aparently using a standard pre-peg carbon. The carbon is not the issue it is the resin that supports the carbon. Most are good to about 230-280 degrees. As the resin is overheated it will yellow and distort under extream heat. The heat in that area is normally 320-380 degrees depending on driving habits. The resin being used has been tested to 400 degrees with no discoloration and no deflection under a 2000lb load as resins will softern with heat when propperly heat cured. additionally it will be lined with a heat protective coating to further protect from the high heat issue.

David
Will that dealer be offering them for sale,or is he already and I have missed the post?:)
Although the postage might not help as the North wales I know is only 125 miles away !!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is the dealer going to be offering it in the exact factory spec or will it be offered a slightly modified 'raised' version to mimic the GT3 style?

·
C A R B O N
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Andy, North Wales PA......

Yes they will be offering them once we can gaurentee fit and finish. We are acting soley as the Manufacturer for them at as well as other items

will it be offered a slightly modified 'raised' version to mimic the GT3 style?
At this time we have the origonal style in process. We have completed pre peg Carbon Fiber versions of the hood, rear engine cover, tail pipe finishers and front fenders. We would need an origonal part to make a copy for production for the GT version.

David

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It would be great to see a nicely design not overly done CF side splitter, similar to the one which Vorsteiner is going to make?? Cheers....??

·
C A R B O N
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes,

I am a huge fan of the 12c but it just does not seem to be "grounded" on certain profiles. I have a couple good ideas !

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts