McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am new to this Mclaren life forum and was interested in possibly trying to get some information regarding the cooling system on the 720s. From everything that i have read there is the high temp circuit (Coolant for for engine/trans) & the low temp circuit (Intercoolers and Clutch). What I am in search for is the factory cooling system diagram if it is available, if anyone has any information regarding this please let me know. I am currently working on a friends 720s and installing a set of 3.5" uncatted downpipes which will be paired with a dyno spectrum tune. While replacing the downpipes we are also looking at possibly upgrading the intercoolers & possibly divorcing the coolant system so that the intercoolers are not subject to the know heat soak associated with tuning these. I'm not aware of anyone currently that has their systems divorced currently so if anyone has done it please chime in and explain what has worked for you. Look forward to hearing from you guys and any input you might have. Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
395 Posts
Factory system is shared.
In order to divorce the system you will need a tank mounted in the front trunk with a pump in order to circulate the fluid. This tank will also be used as a fill point.
Hardest part will be running hoses from the front to the back.

·
Registered
431 Posts
couldn't the existing piping be used if separated from engine cooling system?
also wondering how much do the front radiators contribute to engine cooling ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also one of the things we are looking at are the front heat exchangers and how efficient they actually are, do you guys believe there would be a great benefit to getting better cores up front also in addition to the upgraded intercoolers? There's obviously not a lot of room to stuff larger cores up front but if we could use more efficient replacement cores what kind of demand is out there for these, do you know if the other model Mclarens share the same setup in the front? We would really like to make a complete cooling package but it really depends on the demand for them. The intercoolers seem simple enough where there is more than enough room to stuff larger cores, the front heat exchangers we are kinds of on the fence about replacing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for sharing your thoughts thus far, I will keep you posted on any solutions we come up with to fight these heat soak issues.

·
Registered
431 Posts
larger capacity front coolers would be a step in the right direction,but since they are fed hot engine coolant to begin with,i don't know how much better it could be . making a separate system kit would be best.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Also one of the things we are looking at are the front heat exchangers and how efficient they actually are, do you guys believe there would be a great benefit to getting better cores up front also in addition to the upgraded intercoolers? There's obviously not a lot of room to stuff larger cores up front but if we could use more efficient replacement cores what kind of demand is out there for these, do you know if the other model Mclarens share the same setup in the front? We would really like to make a complete cooling package but it really depends on the demand for them. The intercoolers seem simple enough where there is more than enough room to stuff larger cores, the front heat exchangers we are kinds of on the fence about replacing.
theres a vendor on here that already makes a plug and play option

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like Firstkill states if someone can afford this car and is looking to modify it, their probably not to worried about their warranty at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Firstkill I see that renaissance speed has upgraded intercoolers but nothing for the front heat exchangers. As for the intercoolers we will probably go with billet end tanks compared to just hand fabbed sheet metal end tanks. If were going to build them for a Mclaren were not looking to cheap out anywhere and want them not only to function but look like they belong on such a car.

·
Trusted Source for McLaren Performance
115 Posts
Firstkill I see that renaissance speed has upgraded intercoolers but nothing for the front heat exchangers.
This is correct, we focus on the intercoolers since this is what is between your turbos and your intake manifold. Upgrading the intercoolers has a direct positive impact on performance and we have proven this on the dyno. The front heat exchangers do not directly impact performance, especially since the clutch shares the same cooling circuit.

And yes, we are one of the few, if only companies, running a truly divorced cooling system.

As for the intercoolers we will probably go with billet end tanks compared to just hand fabbed sheet metal end tanks.
If were going to build them for a Mclaren were not looking to cheap out anywhere and want them not only to function but look like they belong on such a car.
Are you aware that all McLaren cars themselves are hand built machines? If so, would you call McLaren's cheap? As an engineer, I can tell you that we had the option to do billet end caps and decided not to do them. Why? It added unnecessary costs with ZERO measurable performance gains. For billet end caps, this would have easily increased the cost by 20%. All you have to do is look around at other intercoolers from similar performance companies, like AMS (R35 GT-R) , SheepyRace (TT Lamborghinis), etc and notice they too have made the same call on these style end caps. Also, from our market research, no one wants to pay $5,000 for intercoolers unless they have no other good choice. Lucky for the community, we are here to provide that option!

I should also point out that our intercoolers are the only ones proven to make over a 1,000 rwhp as we lead by example.

If you have any questions, I encourage you to reach out to us directly.

You can find more about our intercoolers on this thread.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Renaissance, thank you for input. I never said anything about Mclaren's being cheap. As for the end tanks from some of the companies you have mentioned i know all about them as I have worked for one of these companies for many years. Whether or not it has any effect on the end result were not worried about, we have the capability of doing billet end tanks so why not. I don't see it as a bad thing to have another offering to the market, let the customers choose how they would like to spend their money.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts