McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
MP4s, 650s, 675s were literally hit or miss - tons of quality issues; turbo hoses falling off, cooling hoses leaking and coming off, electrical issues, and more rare transmission failures and suspension failures. I did 10k miles (14 months) in 650 and experienced all but transmission and suspension failure. I have friends that bought 650/675s around the same time and had 0 issues.

570s spider - 13k miles in 16 months - driver seat module failure; 1 day in the shop
720s spider - 4k miles in 3 months - stress cracked windshield; replaced by dealer in 2 days

I've seen coolant hose coming off on a track in a very early 720s but haven't heard many of those issues for a while.

You have to understand that Mclaren software has tons of protections coded in; something goes a bit off, it will throw an error or go into limp mode. Lock it for 10 mins to reset and most cases it is good to go. I know people that start up the car and floor it 30 seconds later. That's not a good idea in any high performance car. You probably will experience issues

I've had similar issues on Ferraris; mostly electronics (seats, entertainment system) and quality - leather coming off trim.
Never owned had a Lambo, although ever time I get a new Mac I go and drive a Lambo with an intention to get it. Huracan friends report 2 issues, front lift failures and limp mode. Some have experienced multiple times the car completely shutting down and not restarting. Some of them belong to the group of flooring it 30 seconds after getting in so I would not be surprised Lambo is also flagging the idiot mode.

As many point out, you don't wanna deal with those things, get a Porsche. GT cars feel special and I love to drive them and I usually have 1 or 2. But I only drive those on a track or 6am canyon run by myself.

If you planning to own 1 car, it is hard to beat the 720 - it goes all the way from a track monster to a very comfortable gt car with a large trunk. And if you wan't a convertible, there is really no other option.

Mclaren quality is way up from the early days but it has quite some room to grow - no question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was ready to purchase a 720s over Christmas until a friend advised me the 720s was great to drive but broke down all the time. I want this to be my daily driver so I can't have it breaking all the time. I've heard in really bad cases that Mclaren Customer Service was terrible and unresponsive. How reliable has your 720s or other Mclaren's been? Please share your stories. Any advise to buying a good 720s? ..........Please be honest so Mclaren can hopefully reflect upon this
I've had a 650S and two 720S and other than a creak and rattle here and I haven't experienced any reliability issues. The fit of some parts is less than stellar but not a major issue to me.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you modify it, please pay for it?
Yeah, these guys are leaving out a lot of details.

bought used at 3,000 miles, modify it, drive it to 14,000 miles and then try to lemon it by quoting the infamous magnusson act, and then things go bad with warranty, customer service...(how can someone post that with a straight face and try to lemon).

I still remember a poster on these forums who says that he buys cars in states that have the most friendly lemon laws...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is a stage 2 tuned 2018 720s. I have over 70,000 miles on it (some of them were even in the snow). I track it roughly once per month. The engine has no issues, and is the best engine I've ever seen in a car. I'll never sell it.

Not a single issue aside from the typical "suspension failed" gremlin which the dealership quickly fixed under warranty (bad accumulator) a few months back. Even that issue was only occasional. Restarting the car immediately fixed it.

I really DRIVE the car hard, and it has never once let me down. Easily the best car I have ever owned or driven.

It's sick to hear of people who would tun/mod & break cars, and then try to sell or return them.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,182 Posts
I was ready to purchase a 720s over Christmas until a friend advised me the 720s was great to drive but broke down all the time. I want this to be my daily driver so I can't have it breaking all the time. I've heard in really bad cases that Mclaren Customer Service was terrible and unresponsive. How reliable has your 720s or other Mclaren's been? Please share your stories. Any advise to buying a good 720s? ..........Please be honest so Mclaren can hopefully reflect upon this
I will say one thing here that I noticed a similarity between McLaren and Corvette. Ideally, you dont want a 1st model year car. Corvette model year 1 cars tend to have some problems. Year 2 little better. By the 3rd year they are better than Honda reliability wise.

The 720s are mechanically generally very sound. You wont get stranded. But, if you get a 3rd year model, you're likely going to have a pretty bullet proof car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2014 12C has been very reliable and my impression, that is true for the bast majority of McLarens - although perhaps not so much for McLaren owners who like to hang out on this bulletin board. I heard Jay Leno remark that all he’s ever done on his McLaren fleet is change the fluids. Reading between the lines on this Forum, it’s clear not much goes wrong with these cars. The engine is all gear-driven, so not much can go wrong there. It was built by guys who were accustomed to building things to F1 torture standards and thus, it’s probably overbuilt for the street, and rarely breaks. The gear box is Dana Graziano’s of Graziano Transmissions, who supply more than half the super-car world. The seven-speed “pre-cog” dual-clutch gearbox on the 12C rarely has an issue. However, when someone does have a genuine problem, it gets heavily documented and written about on the forums here. I suspect, just like medical students who seem to acquire symptoms of every disease they study, other owners thinks there McLarens are suffering -- or could suffer -- from the same thing. But when I look at the number of people on these forums (several thousands) and the number of problems (a couple of dozen reports in each area and then typically in early numbered cars) you know reliability isn’t an issue generally.

I was picking up my car after its annual maintenance late last year, and asked the service manager why they appeared so slow. He didn’t have too much to say, other than most of what they did was services like mine and then factory recalls of sorts. I asked him if he ever felt like the “Magtag Repair Man,” and he smiled and said, “Oh no, that is why we have track days.” Which is good insight. If you don’t track your car, it’s unlikely it will ever have an issue. When I was younger, I learned that tracks and the mistakes people make on the track, often result in repair issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Had my 650s spider for 2,5 yrs with about 33,000 Km (about 20,500miles) in Germay. Run him fast on German motorways and famous Nordschleife.
Only issue was a defect battery and accumulators - both fixed on warranty.
Car was the whole time with fabspeed 200cell HJS downpipes.

My 720s is from the beginning with fabspeed 200cell HJS downpipes.
Was delivered last June and one of the first in Germany. Actually about 7,500 Km (4,700miles) with only minor issues with the transparancy films on the downside of the body ( now idea how u call it as I have no idea of a correct translation).
What I don't like is the acting of the ESP. Anytime if I had a small angle left in the steering the ESP is active when giving full throttle and reducing power and it's working to long them for my understanding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2020 720s Spider with 12,000 miles that I bought new and have had no issues with. My last car was a 2018 570s spider that I bought new and put over 25,000 miles on. Also, no issues.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Those who complain that McLarens are unreliable don’t own one and just read it in the internet.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My 720 has been nothing but reliable. I bought it last week.
But seriously, my old 570 i had for 2 years gave me no trouble at all. Not like my r8 and amg.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts