McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ready to purchase a 720s over Christmas until a friend advised me the 720s was great to drive but broke down all the time. I want this to be my daily driver so I can't have it breaking all the time. I've heard in really bad cases that Mclaren Customer Service was terrible and unresponsive. How reliable has your 720s or other Mclaren's been? Please share your stories. Any advise to buying a good 720s? ..........Please be honest so Mclaren can hopefully reflect upon this

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
as until a friend advised me the 720s was great to drive but broke down all the time. I want this to be my daily driver so I can't have it breaking all the time. I've heard in really bad cases that Mclaren Customer Service was terrible and unresponsive. How reliable has your 720s or other Mclaren's been? Please share your stories. Any advise to buying a good 720s? ..........Please be honest so Mclaren can hopefully reflect upon this
They are fine mechanically, it can have some electrical gremilins but they wont leave you stranded. Im not sure what you are getting at, but ferrari/lambo/mclaren does not offer corporate loaner cars. Service takes time, parts take time, transport of cars take more time...... So if its your only car, i dont think any exotic is great for a daily..... Your questioning seems like your green to the exotic market...maybe look at porsche for a sporty daily.... you will have all the luxury items, better dealer support and loaners.

ive had a coupe and currently have a spider 720, about 7k miles between the 2.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was ready to purchase a 720s over Christmas until a friend advised me the 720s was great to drive but broke down all the time. I want this to be my daily driver so I can't have it breaking all the time. I've heard in really bad cases that Mclaren Customer Service was terrible and unresponsive. How reliable has your 720s or other Mclaren's been? Please share your stories. Any advise to buying a good 720s? ..........Please be honest so Mclaren can hopefully reflect upon this
Silly question but anything wrong with these threads:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Another one of these threads
Geezus, I swear, do a search, invest some time as if you were buying a $350,000 car.
These threads always bring out the negative experiences.
Sure, there are some mechanical abnormalities, but what highly technical machine doesn’t.
I can assure you, if you go by what all the negative experiences are, you will never buy a 720s and you will miss out on one of the greatest car driving experiences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know. Mclaren is a new brand. They are working out their issues. Some of the threads are older. This is newer so maybe they worked out the kinks despite the new GT even failing to work in a carwow review. All I am saying is I have heard a lot of stories about these cars working for a very little amount of their ownership time. I just hoped to hear maybe some people post saying their cars did work perfectly or issues that came up and how they solved it. The car is expensive and they depreciate rly fast so I need to make sure that in the time is depreciates, it doesn't break on me a lot of the time...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even one of my buddies was ready to buy a 720s but the cars check engine light kept going on so he backed out and bought a Lamborghini hurcan performance instead and he said it was the best purchase ever. However, I do not like the Lamborghini brand name as it brand name can give the impression you think ur better than others. I read another form where owners of ferraris and lambos got the finger on occasions but never mclaren since the brand name is not as well known among the general public

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yes I know. Mclaren is a new brand. They are working out their issues. Some of the threads are older. This is newer so maybe they worked out the kinks despite the new GT even failing to work in a carwow review. All I am saying is I have heard a lot of stories about these cars working for a very little amount of their ownership time. I just hoped to hear maybe some people post saying their cars did work perfectly or issues that came up and how they solved it. The car is expensive and they depreciate rly fast so I need to make sure that in the time is depreciates, it doesn't break on me a lot of the time...
Seems like a troll post.

There is about 6 active 720s owners on these forums out of about 6,000 cars on the road.

This is the objective of these forums:

McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like a troll post.

There is about 6 active 720s owners on these forums out of about 6,000 cars on the road.

This is the objective of these forums:

McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Haha it isn't a troll post. I am just pointing out issues with it and curious if those issues that happened were just unlucky owners or reviewers or if these issues are common in many 720s. I've never owned a Mclaren so I want to know if the odds of buys a Mclaren is very risky or pretty safe in terms of getting a near perfect reliable car similar to a modern Lamborghini.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Did you bother to read any of the threads I posted?? Those are all from the last 30 days. Question is asked over and over.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Even one of my buddies was ready to buy a 720s but the cars check engine light kept going on so he backed out and bought a Lamborghini hurcan performance instead and he said it was the best purchase ever. However, I do not like the Lamborghini brand name as it brand name can give the impression you think ur better than others. I read another form where owners of ferraris and lambos got the finger on occasions but never mclaren since the brand name is not as well known among the general public
you should definitely spend 300k+ on a car based on what people think of you. Probably the most important reason to ever buy a car. (insert sarcasm)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Haha it isn't a troll post. I am just pointing out issues with it and curious if those issues that happened were just unlucky owners or reviewers or if these issues are common in many 720s. I've never owned a Mclaren so I want to know if the odds of buys a Mclaren is very risky or pretty safe in terms of getting a near perfect reliable car similar to a modern Lamborghini.
sounds like you need to buy a Lamborghini. Why waste time with Mclaren since you have heard of so many reliability issues? is someone here really going to change your mind?

·
Registered
570 Posts
McLaren 720S Spider, acquired March 2020. Now at 2k miles. Only issue to date is passenger side mirror not dipping when reverse is selected. Otherwise faultless.

I previously owned a 675LT from now. Over 13k miles (including lots of track work) issues were:

Rear wheel bearings (replaced under warranty)
Squeak/rattle from side intake (dealer resolved)
Engine cover faulty catch (replaced under warranty)
Front wing corrosion at 24 months (replaced/repainted under warranty)

Overall the LT was a fantastic ownership experience...and so far the 720S Spider is equally awesome!

·
Registered
248 Posts
They are fine mechanically, it can have some electrical gremilins but they wont leave you stranded. Im not sure what you are getting at, but ferrari/lambo/mclaren does not offer corporate loaner cars. Service takes time, parts take time, transport of cars take more time...... So if its your only car, i dont think any exotic is great for a daily..... Your questioning seems like your green to the exotic market...maybe look at porsche for a sporty daily.... you will have all the luxury items, better dealer support and loaners.

ive had a coupe and currently have a spider 720, about 7k miles between the 2.
Took my 675LT in for service, they gave me a loaner for 4 days ......I live 5 miles from my dealer good group love them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You only live once. If you want to drive one of the best machines on the planet then get one. I took the plunge and bought a 600LT earlier this year and it has been awesome. No issues whatsoever so far. I almost hate to say it, but I’m driving my GT3RS less and less now that I have the LT.

·
Owner
479 Posts
If you spend a few minutes searching and reading, there would be no need to post something that has been discussed many, many times.
  • They are in fact reliable, but not perfect. If you want to have less issues, drive the car - period. As a daily, you would be likely to have less troubles.
  • When something happens, it does take a while to resolve, especially if you don't have a dealer nearby.
I have had mine for about 14 months and to date, here are the issues I have had. Keep in mind, I am the 2nd owner and bought the car when it had 7,000 miles.
  • Two new windshields to date. The first was a stress crack and the other one was due to impact.
  • A new glass top. The passenger side had a stress crack. The dealer fixed replaced it.
  • A/C vent locked in closed position. The dealer replaced it.
  • Suspension error. One of the accumulators went bad. The dealer replaced all of them.
  • Really bad oil leak. Dealer is evaluating but it seems the oil cooler cracked.
I live 6-7 hours away from the closest dealer.

The first time the car was gone, it took 4-5 days for them to pick up the car and 2.5 weeks for them to work on it and deliver it back, so a total of about 3 weeks. They were very thorough in the communications and kept me updated all along the way.

This is the second time the car is gone and it also took about 4-5 days for them to pick up the car and so far, I am going on almost a week. They are finally getting to the car since they seem to be short staffed.

To summarize, as a daily driver, I think you will be fine, but there could be issues and those will take a while to get resolved. Buy a Porsche instead and you should be happy.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
McLaren 720S Spider, acquired March 2020. Now at 2k miles. Only issue to date is passenger side mirror not dipping when reverse is selected. Otherwise faultless.
you need to set the mirror to the "dip" level while in reverse.
I forgot the exact sequence, but neutral, set mirror to driving positions. put the car in reverse, select the mirror you want to change/dip and adjust it where you want. the put car back in neutral....I think it will save like that... obviously function has to be enabled in the screens.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As I stated. There is about 8 frequent posters on these forums who have a 720s. There is 6,000 720s on the road. It is the most significant regular production exotic car of all time. Mac owners have usually owned multiple mac's. They keep coming back for a reason.

Your question should be centered on what is the best way to buy the car (local dealer, servicing (if you have an unexpected issue without an appointment), lease vs. buy, etc).

First time owners of exotic cars like to apply the regular car standard (buying experience, servicing, etc.) and don't realize that the exotic car world has its own standards, its own way of doing things. People learn over time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Besides cracked Gorilla Glass and electrical gremlins that were resolved with some software updates, the car has been very reliable, and so special to drive. It is a car you can drive to the track, track it all day and then drive it back home. I have driven this car 5700 miles in the 18 months that I have owned it. I have three other sport cars and their combined annual mileage is less than what I put on this car. I think this speaks volumes about reliability.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts