McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi from the UK.
I bought the car in February this year, then Covid came along. Several weeks of Cabin Fever has gone to my brain and I decided to have the car painted from White to a colourshift effect called Blue Iris.

Nine coats of paint used to achieve the finish. 3 x black basecoat, 3 x colourcoat and 3 x high-gloss lacquer.

The coloured pigment is from the US, supplied by a company named Didspade. All other paint materials were supplied by AkzoNobel, being the same company that McLaren use. The pigment is a dense dust, similar in feel to the iridescent / pearl dust on the wings of a butterfly or moth. It is mixed with a clear paint and sprayed over a black base coat. Hours of sanding and polishing to achieve the high gloss finish.

I’ll let the pictures do the talking:

·
Registered
31 Posts
all my years (9) of browsing forums and seeing paint jobs, this has to be the wildest. You sir, have monumental sized testicles. I love it. I'm sure you know changing the OE color of a vehicle kills the value, but when you do something as wild as this, it's worth it. As a painter, the quality looks amazing, i can spot zero orange peel.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
356 Posts
Pretty sure I saw one just like that the other day....NOT!

Reactions: MAC 720S
2,591 Posts
Looks great and even better in person. We did that in 2016 on my 650S. You can‘t really appreciate it until you see it in person. It really makes the car look like an Exotic!

Looks fantastic!

Last photo is of the car in it’s original color, Volcano Yellow, which is also an amazing color!
32EA9A80-5ED9-44D0-B6F2-10499218B69F.jpeg
CE74EC63-0A9C-44C7-9CA9-AE8F20A88D37.jpeg
FB488147-BF13-4F1C-B28B-A59D487FB14D.jpeg
9CFE5B5D-5D4A-427D-A68D-5E3BFB96E4AA.jpeg
4D665C9F-D32B-4F51-8E69-C3CAC4959BFC.jpeg

1E953011-9A15-4A67-B99E-67BB5E340B65.jpeg

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
2,591 Posts
As I told you already on FB - this will become one of the best looking 720s ever with that paint and would be 100% mistaken for a MSO one, if you would not have shown the work steps here ... Looking forward to the final product :)
Funny you said that Kris as I called CJ Wilson as soon as we were done and text him a few photos. He was Very impressed with the result. Not so much when I told him it was $4k to do the job by my painter and it is removable.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Funny you said that Kris as I called CJ Wilson as soon as we were done and text him a few photos. He was Very impressed with the result. Not so much when I told him it was $4k to do the job by my painter and it is removable.
how did you come up with that price ? I guess at normal rates the body work of removing/installing the panels would already take many hours and cost several k ... ?

2,591 Posts
how did you come up with that price ? I guess at normal rates the body work of removing/installing the panels would already take many hours and cost several k ... ?
I was the first person to use “AutoFlex” which is the removable paint. The base is basically a professional grade Plasti-Dip then you use the top coat which is paint but with a flex agent added then the pearl and finally top coat which also has a flex additive added.

Now, per the price, that is all on my painter Glenn Stricland, he is nothing short of amazing. He repainted the Spider we are doing now in the original Fire Back and it’s Flawless!

He was kind enough to do the work for well, that price. The product or materials were $400 and to be honest he only charged me $1500 labor.
Sooooo, the real total was $1900. I know, don’t say it...HaHa!

It was done primarily to promote the business as we had it on show at The Concours d’Elegance, Celebration Exotic Car Festival and a few other high end gatherings. Like you said, it looks Like an MSO job 100% Kris, no doubt about it sir!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I was the first person to use “AutoFlex” which is the removable paint. The base is basically a professional grade Plasti-Dip then you use the top coat which is paint but with a flex agent added then the pearl and finally top coat which also has a flex additive added.

Now, per the price, that is all on my painter Glenn Stricland, he is nothing short of amazing. He repainted the Spider we are doing now in the original Fire Back and it’s Flawless!

He was kind enough to do the work for well, that price. The product or materials were $400 and to be honest he only charged me $1500 labor.
Sooooo, the real total was $1900. I know, don’t say it...HaHa!

It was done primarily to promote the business as we had it on show at The Concours d’Elegance, Celebration Exotic Car Festival and a few other high end gatherings. Like you said, it looks Like an MSO job 100% Kris, no doubt about it sir!
should I ever need a car in the USA repainted i will remember that 😂

2,591 Posts
should I ever need a car in the USA repainted i will remember that 😂
It’s not “repainted” just to be completely clear, otherwise you would not be able to “Peel” it off. It requires very little prep, just make sure the factory paint is completely smooth decontaminated and it’s ready for the base coat(that’s what makes it peelable). You can however treat it just like your factory finish, wet sand it, Polish it, ceramicote it. It’s pretty amazing and I applaud the OP for doing it as the 720S is a stellar platform for it.

I left it on for a few moths then peeled it off.

C7614AF8-70FA-439A-8C3A-8DB67EFEC28D.jpeg
7C7A5FBC-1C77-42F9-B2F4-DBE992FC0DFF.jpeg
386E2E55-000A-4167-A662-625F7EE321EA.jpeg
898E2DA9-ECE7-47D9-9885-D489C2BE868B.jpeg

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
It’s not “repainted” just to be completely clear, otherwise you would not be able to “Peel” it off. It requires very little prep, just make sure the factory paint is completely smooth decontaminated and it’s ready for the base coat(that’s what makes it peelable). You can however treat it just like your factory finish, wet sand it, Polish it, ceramicote it. It’s pretty amazing and I applaud the OP for doing it as the 720S is a stellar platform for it.

I left it on for a few moths then peeled it off.

View attachment 202980 View attachment 202981 View attachment 202982 View attachment 202983
Ah ok so you safe a lot of work from sanding it down and redoing the paint to original manufacturer spec ... sounds fair

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is still pretty cool.. Couple of questions.
1.) how long does it last - I assume as long as you want, but not sure with road dings, etc. etc. if eventually you would want to peel it off due to degradation?
2.) How long does it take to take off (a few hours?)
3.) What is the normal - not awesome deal you got.. AKA what would be a typical price on that.

PS. I have Volcano Red, which is awesome and would not do it on my 720, as I think it could be the best color ever. But, would be a cool option for my Porsche or other cars instead of a wrap..

2,591 Posts
That is still pretty cool.. Couple of questions.
1.) how long does it last - I assume as long as you want, but not sure with road dings, etc. etc. if eventually you would want to peel it off due to degradation?
2.) How long does it take to take off (a few hours?)
3.) What is the normal - not awesome deal you got.. AKA what would be a typical price on that.

PS. I have Volcano Red, which is awesome and would not do it on my 720, as I think it could be the best color ever. But, would be a cool option for my Porsche or other cars instead of a wrap..
Hi Rich,

It lasts as long as you want it, it’s paint, just peelable. The one thing I can add that Prep is everything, just like a regular paint job.
It takes a few hours to peel off, that’s correct
normal price is around $3-4K, fantastic considering you are actually protecting the factory paint whilst you have fun with the alternate color of your choice.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts