McLaren Life banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Sorry to chime in between the other cross talk in here, but no one should be disputing Porsche resale values, period. They are the best out there. I bought my 991.2 GT3 with 4400 miles on it, roll cage, exhaust, and full body PPF for $172K 1.5 years ago. I can sell it for $165K all day, even with 9200 miles on it.

My $313K MSRP 600LT with 3K miles on it? I'd be lucky to sell it for $235K. I've owned it 5 months.

McLarens are built like shit vs Porsche and their values tank faster than anything else on the market.

My 600LT is still in the shop, going on almost 3 weeks now. It's lived there for 2 out of 5 months I've owned it.

Mclaren has denied a tire warranty (due to steering shake that couldn't be balanced out) they have denied a warranty for $30 in window felt replacement (due to grease smearing) and denied a warranty to diagnose a rattle.

The 720S I have as a loaner is a car off their showroom floor, and was never used as a Demo or loaned to another customer. It rattles, the steering column makes a whine / squeels at low speeds sometime, and there's a sound of what sounds like a baseball card stuck in the spokes of a bike that you hear while driving it.

It's built like SHIT. You guys saw from the pics.

Seriously. Unmac must work for McLaren. Mclaren is TERRIBLE as a company and builds terrible products. McLaren is a dead brand to me now, period.

Here's a list of a majority of the issues I've had:

1) Cracked Windshield, replaced

2) Replacement windshield had deformities in the glass, spotting in the glass itself

3) Replaced with 2nd windshield

4) Steering wheel vibration since day I bought it, Diagnosed and balanced tires. Picked up car, problem persisted

5) 2nd attempt at steering shake issue, this time they discover the Trofeo Rs could not be road force balanced out. It sat at Newport Beach McLaren for 2 weeks while Mclaren recommended things like inflating the tires overnight and other "troubleshooting" because they denied the warranty to replace the tires.

5) Fought with the dealer and eventually got them to replace with Corsas. Noted slightly less steering shake when picked up

6) 3rd attempt at steering shake. Pending confirmation it's 100% fixed - still there for that

7) driver Window trim spontaneously cracked, replaced

8) driver Window trim spontaneously cracked 10 mins after picking up the car and driving off

9) IRIS freezing and lockups

10) Alcantara defect in steering wheel, replaced

11) excessive noise from Spider roof, determined most mounts and brackets were not torqued correctly and the hinges were rubbing metal to metal

12) undertray was causing a rattle because it was not torqued to spec

13) Rattles in center console

14) back window buzzing throughout all RPMs

15) Front fender lining, driver's side, came loose due to factory forgetting to bolt it in

16) Drivers door seal needed to be resecured, not installed correctly

17) A couple more little issues I cannot recall

Total beater. McLaren is a brand you cannot trust that you'll receive a quality product. Yes other MFGs have issues, but McLaren must be 100X more likely to have a poorly built car.
You realize how you look? 100X worse and your issues are tires and a few things that I would guess you caused on track :)
I sold my PTS GT3RS retail buyer with 1800 miles for what you claim your GT3 is worth a year ago ... you just look silly.
Mclaren tanks because of posts like these - 99% of guys will work with the dealer vs against them especially over tires which is amazing you find that Mac's fault.

As far as Porsche being superior - why do you think 918 owners hide on FB vs a forum add Ford GT owners aren't saying all their defects. Factories - all factories have their issues it's a fact. When you run around beating a drum vs working with the dealer and factory they are well aware this is not your last purchase. I assure you that the dealer has their side to tell but who cares - right. All factories work with their customers as do the dealers it's their job today and in the future. When you stop becoming a customer and become a detriment it is what it is.

I also have a Lambo SV - it's had it's issues and the Huracan is a great car but it's because of Audi - try one pre Audi.
There is a reason people don't consider a Porsche an exotic because it's not. Exotic's in any form women cars shoes animals are not for the faint of heart. I have an Austin Healey that it's 50/50 I make it home - it's not about the car breaking it's about the experience and you prefer reliability over exotic. No offense but I love when stuff breaks and work with the mechanic etc it's a car guy thing that most owners embrace. just got done putting clear bra etc on the Senna we removed the engine cover and it was easy took 10 minutes after the mechanic went and got a GTR made a video and showed us how. The mechanic can be your friend or enemy you choose the way to play not the dealer factory etc. who want their customers to smile - that's just a fact and Porsche being massive is far from the same experience from start to finish. Last note - Thank you as I was interested in a GT2RS or 600LT after this post I prefer the 600LT or maybe wait for the 750LT my CGT is the only Porsche that stays.

ps. try being nice mechanics salesman factory I'm sure will be more open to your issues.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It seems like you said your cars at Newport. My buddy got out of a troubled 650 (coolant leaks) to a 720 for a good deal from them for his troubles. I think once a lemon always a lemon. Better to roll the dice on a new mclaren

or dump it and run.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My 2016 570S was essentially trouble-free. It seems the newer models are having more issues, perhaps they are growing too fast for their own good and cutting down the time the cars are inspected. I am well integrated in the car community, and know tons of McLaren owners. 90% are unhappy. No exaggeration, that's the real world. They love the car but are unhappy with the build quality and reliability.

Mine happens to be the worst.

To top it off, I am now having problems with the dealership.

If you are thinking of buying a McLaren- think harder. Take your money to Porsche, or just anyone else for that matter. It's like throwing money down the toilet, especially if you get one hand built by a set of incompetent hands.

·
Registered
303 Posts
@Champagne612

Bro, you're an idiot. Your entire post is stupid. You say I caused my tire issues "on track" ? STFU. Car has never seen a track, its been in the service center for half the time i've owned the car.

Plus, if you actually had any reading comprehension ability whatsoever, you'd have read the Steering shake was present since the day I took delivery, they tried to balance them.. no luck... replaced with brand new Corsa's which still had steering shake, and now it's in for a 3rd attempt at resolving.

I truly despise "know-it-alls" like you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
kpg, sorry to see all the issues you got on the 600LT. What’s the build date on that car?

As for build quality, I have not seen anything worse than the 2 Tesla’s I current have, a Model X and Model 3. All the flaws you showed are not only typical on Tesla, but much worse and on almost every one of them. At the end of the day they’ll just claim the whatever issue is within spec. So I do see the similarity there.

My 600LT is flawless at least from appearance. Noise etc. I can’t tell as I’m also pretty neutered by my Tesla’s. The only issue I got with the car is the door latch on passenger side. The door wouldn’t unlatch on delivery and they told me it’ll cure/learn itself after doing some manual latching. What a bunch of bull*. I ended up adjusting the latching hook myself and that fixed the issue completely.

Hopefully McLaren will take care of you eventually. Good luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Funny you say that, I've had 2x Tesla's, a P85 and P85D. Had some door handles fail, but they sent a repair guy to my house and he fixed them in my driveway in 1 hr. Pretty cool.

This is the first car I've ever had major issues with.

I know many people do get good examples of McLarens, but if you were to buy 10 McLarens, chances are 3/10 will have some type of build issues going forward. That's at least in my experience I've seen.

Here's another doosey...

My friends light on his 720S wasn't bolted in from the factory and it fell out LOL

Attachments

·
Banned
97 Posts
That's awesome ! Totally happy for you.

I need to make a website like yours and post all the conversations I've had with 10+ McLaren owners I personally know in person or on Instagram who've had nothing but terrible experiences. I have pictures of taillights falling out from them not being bolted in at the factory, all the way to fluid leaks that the dealer cannot fix.

Dozens of screenshots of conversations

I could make a documentary on this shi
I'll post literally the first one that pops up on my phone I saved. Tons more like this.

I've seen so many 720s in person, so I have a hard time hearing owners that say they have no problems at all. I feel they are lowering their standards for the 720s. I'll admit when I'm wrong, but I've seen multiple cars and read multiple things about 2018-2020 that still continue to have the same problems. So I have a hard time believing anyone that says they have NO problems. lol I have plenty of conversation with other owners that complain too. McLaren love the way your cars look and perform, but seriously get your shit together and I'll buy another one in the future.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Funny you say that, I've had 2x Tesla's, a P85 and P85D. Had some door handles fail, but they sent a repair guy to my house and he fixed them in my driveway in 1 hr. Pretty cool.

This is the first car I've ever had major issues with.

I know many people do get good examples of McLarens, but if you were to buy 10 McLarens, chances are 3/10 will have some type of build issues going forward. That's at least in my experience I've seen.

Here's another doosey...

My friends light on his 720S wasn't bolted in from the factory and it fell out LOL

That is insane! Another proof about their shoddy build quality is a employee even told me they found a flash light inside a door panel because some idiot left it in their when they were assembling the doors. lol

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
@Champagne612

Bro, you're an idiot. Your entire post is stupid. You say I caused my tire issues "on track" ? STFU. Car has never seen a track, its been in the service center for half the time i've owned the car.

Plus, if you actually had any reading comprehension ability whatsoever, you'd have read the Steering shake was present since the day I took delivery, they tried to balance them.. no luck... replaced with brand new Corsa's which still had steering shake, and now it's in for a 3rd attempt at resolving.

I truly despise "know-it-alls" like you.
100x and Porsche value so far from reality but you want to call me an idiot when you make stuff up - you don't come across wth much credibility. Tell me where in those two items you stated I misunderstood.

Not the know it all - you are a bit over dramatic.

You are correct I assumed you tracked a 600LT because you went on about your roll bar Porsche spec - my bad.

When you say Porsche vs McLaren 100x worse you may want to sell your car first ... just a thought because you aren't doing yourself any favors as the dealers read this as does McLaren - imagine what their post would look like about you :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Man, these malcontents still posting nonsense.

I'm assuming that none of you have followed my advice; file a lawsuit, lemon the car, complain to NHTSA.gov. Nope, none of you will do that. You are all "Siohvanvaughn". Who is she , you might ask?

The ex-wife of NBA basketball player Dwyane Wade sat on a piece of cardboard outside the Daley Center on Friday holding a sign that read: "Miami Heat Star Mother of His Children on the Streets." Siohvaughn Wade said she would "live on the streets" as she protested what she called the "injustice" of a failed lawsuit she filed in an effort to get money from her ex-husband's endorsement deals. Court papers filed last week indicate the lawsuit was voluntarily dropped. "I don't want anything, no money, all I want is my freedom and my voice," she said. Dwyane Wade filed for divorce from his wife in 2008. The drawn-out custody battle over their two sons drew extensive media attention. Wade was awarded full custody of the children in 2011. Siohvaughn Wade was granted shift visits with the kids, who live in Florida. A representative for Dwyane Wade could not immediately be reached.

Mclife has just turned into Yelp to give bad reviews without context or credibility of the posters.

To the guy from Newport with the 600 LT (your instagram postings are all love for your car). You hid the part that your car is modified (even though you have no issue bragging that you were caught by a helicopter on network television out running a CHP car on the highway. ). Your dealer sold 25 cars in December and Beverly Hills sold over 35 cars. Every car rally is full of mclarens (the most common car), 1/2 mile events, track days vs any of the other exotic cars.

You guys are trying to create a narrative that does not exist in real life. You are actually all making yourselves look foolish.

I am very active in my instagram stories and many mclaren owners follow me and we exchange a lot of information that many of them refuse to ask or even participate on these forums. I'd say about 2,000 mac owners globally follow me and with two degrees of separation I probably know all Mac owners.

I'm going to post the things that Mac owners actually talk about and discuss with me and that I also show on instagram stories. I'll be spamming the next few postings.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Trust ted; you said that you bought the 720s because of all the dragtimes videos of the 720s.... Who you think he sometimes contacts for advice?

161 - 172 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.